Ryan Gravenberch (CM) From Bayern Munich

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think he can and has played in the 6 before. At least one of the two in a 4-2-3-1.

His skill set might not be what we need there, I haven’t seen enough of him to know one way or another. I do think he can play there though, maybe similar to Mac in that it might not be his best position but he can do it.

I do think we are moving away (for better or worse) from having a single pivot. I think Endo is in for the times we want to go that way, but I can see the reasoning behind playing a lot of the low block teams without a single dedicated DM. It seemed to work well at the end of last season when we played our 3-2-2-3.

It still leaves our right side far too open I think but I wonder if some of that is adjustment. Maybe Jurgen & Pep think we it’s an issue of growing used to the new formation and that these issues might go away as we get more experience? Not sure.

2 Likes

Also allows Macallister to do that role and the whole reason they didn’t want to bid that much for Lavia was due to Bajectic.

To me I always expected they would bring someone in who could do a few roles in CM not just the DM especially after Endo signed.

The CM looks reasonably good now and has cover. I am worried about that backline if we don’t at least buy one.

Did we ever loan out Conor Bradley by the way? Just think Trent and that potential move into the base.

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/JamesPearceLFC/status/1697316601496846348

1 Like

Yeah we saw it but Klopp also shared harsh words so I doubt he knows much.

1 Like

Not yet, he is injured I think

Problem with his back i think

I think so as Gravenberch is only 20 and I read somewhere players under 21 will be considered home grown.

We’re clearly headed for a revolutionary 1-6-3 formation.

Given how stacked we are now in midfield, I see no reason why Ali would even need to put his gloves on, to be honest.

Not sure teams will even be able to get into our half, let alone attack our goal.

5 Likes

Oops. I thought high probability we will signing a CB after Nat Philips left.

Wouldn’t have been my first pick, would’ve preferred a player with a some tenacity.

Still, think Klopp will get a tune out of him. Whether it will be good enough for what we need, who knows, but I don’t think he’ll be poor.

Better signing than Endo, at least, and hopefully he’s good enough to take his minutes pretty quickly.

2 Likes

Most teams would love 3 midfielders that good, plus a bit of muchness

1 Like

I keep reminding myself they said similar things about Gini (he’s a ten-ist, won’t play hard if not the number 10). And the one thing you could never fault Gini for was his effort.

Do we feel better about Gravenberch at 35 than we would about Lavia at 50? I think it’s a fair comparison- young, just in the cusp of getting experience at the top level, can play dm, but not really a dm….

2 Likes

Would be really happy but still think we haven’t addressed the two key positions we actually needed. Have signed 3 8s but no 6s if that make sense.

I suppose Bajectic and Endo are but that is Burnley standard in all honestly

What’s Fabinho then if Bajectic was Burnley standard and I would say Endo’s a bit better than that.

3 Likes

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/LivelyCapitalGuanaco-max-1mb.gif

1 Like

One of the stars of the future and the captain of Japan…burney standard

Captain America Reaction GIF

2 Likes

Burnley have some very good young players now.

1 Like

In all honesty, this comment is Burnley standard.

2 Likes

Sufficient for me too, but I wonder if Klopp wants him because Lijnders likes him? I have seen somewhere that Lijnders has been singing RG’s praises since he was at Ajax. So if he’s a flop then we know who to blame!