Ryan Gravenberch (CM) From Bayern Munich

Seems a perfect Klopp player. How many times have we seen this before? Talented young player, not achieving early potential. Klopp helps turn them into a superstar.

I can’t think of many players that Jurgen and his team haven’t improved. Keita the obvious expection and injuries can be blamed for that

1 Like

Has Ryan agreed terms with Chelsea yet???

Asking for a friend…

2 Likes

I think for me one of the differences with him coming here is we don’t have a settled midfield that he’s essentially got to try and break into.

At Bayern he was trying to dislodge one of Kimmich and Goretzka. At 20 you’ve got to be a pretty special player to do that. Also his first manager was under quite a lot of pressure and looked to rely on the more established players and then Tuchel came in and either didn’t fancy him or wanted to stick to the more established players too. And lets be honest, Tuchel is a knob and falls out with players, staff and ownership at every club he’s ever been at.

Like @koptician said, we’ve seen it with Coutinho. Young player makes the big move perhaps too early and doesn’t get the chances to impress. They go somewhere else and given some patience and nurturing they turn into a beast.

I’m hopeful about this one. He’s clearly talented he just needs the right place to develop that talent. I think having Virg and Gakpo here will also be a massive help for him. His international captain on hand and another young Dutch lad who is still relatively new but settling in nicely.

And it gives us some much needed competition and flexibility in midfield, something we’ve not really had in Klopp’s whole time with us. It’s always been a “starting three” plus some squad types. Now we’ve got a group of exciting young players and they can fight it out to earn their places and the drop off when we rotate is far less dramatic than perhaps at any other point in time.

9 Likes

I’m not going to lie: I have looked away any time this guy has been discussed. And that’s just going by the “If he can’t even be noticed in a 1-team league (surely there’s cup game teams he can get into and look good?) then why will it work here in a much tougher league?”

I am praying that this signing has Klopp fingerprints on it and not Schmadtke, who is essentially is completely unproven in my eyes. I think we just need to wait and see how this turns out. There seems to be a bit of hope and excitement in here connecting dots that we’ve done so and so in the past and Klopp has been able to work magic but I am a little wary of using that logic when its likely our new SD that has made this deal happen. I think it would be hard to argue that our signings haven’t been quite scattergun since he came in so I don’t want to dampen spirits, but also won’t get excited.

All that to say I’m sitting on the fence with this one.

1 Like

One thing we know about him is, if he doesn’t play more than 3 games, he’ll be off next summer.

1 Like

Salah was with Chelsea for 2 half seasons,didn’t get many starts and probably would have been considered to have failed at Chelsea.

7 Likes

As would KDB

2 Likes

Is this the first player we have signed during Klopp’s tenure that is coming off a poor/quiet season? Its just not something we usually do. It’s nearly always purchasing players at the height of their confidence and powers. I see Salah mentioned above, but we got him when his confidence was back to being sky high.

Absolutely not a slight at Klopp but there isn’t exactly a track record of him buying players with confidence problems and turning them around at Liverpool. I couldn’t say whether he did it at his previously clubs and maybe the decision is that Liverpool is a big enough club that they don’t generally need to . As to how this relates to RG, we can all make our own interpretations whether his problems are confidence or not.

1 Like

Needs to be registered by 12:00pm GMT to be eligible for the Aston Villa match. No pressure on the liverpool medical staff but still.

1 Like

Yeah considering there is a sell-on fee to pay Ajax, the fee isn’t more than you’d expect Bayern to be after.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t even push for that. The international break is coming up so we have plenty of time to offer him some proper training before we drop him in it.

5 Likes

The point being made is that Salah and De Bruyne didnt make it at a big club at a similar age as Gravenberch as they weren’t really given enough of a chance.They both went on to be hugely successful when given that chance.Gravenberch may/may not make it big with us but the talent is there and our job now is to help him realise that talent as Roma did with Mo.

1 Like

Hopefully we don’t see Gakpo being used as a midfielder after this transfer goes through.

Jones / Mac / Dom / Ryan / Elliot / Clark - 6 people for 2 #8’s.

1 Like

Clark is expected to go out on loan is he not?

I think there’s going to be points where we don’t necessarily play with a “a 6 and two 8’s”. It’ll be horses for courses.

To an extent it looks more a move back to the Henderson/Lallana/Wijnaldum style midfield than a ‘proper’ no. 6

If that’s the case, I’m not mad about it, but we really need to tighten up the back line.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/TheAnfieldWrap/status/1697540512570339500

3 Likes

We only had a full season to get used to it!

I know this is a crazy thought, but we could go back to the system that won us everything and only missed out on a quad because a GK had the game of his life and we were up aganst cheating fuckers. Most of our players are suited to it as well.

I hate this new formation and Lijnders is annoying the fuck out of me. He’s like a new manager at a company that has 95% productivity but he has to put his stamp on it and rips everything up for that extra couple of %. Just leave stuff that works alone you bellend.

2 Likes

Its time to move on. Virg, Ali, Robbo, Trent, Salah are different players than they were. Still quality but none are at the top of their game any more. The rest is a completely different team. You can’t just change back to a style that’s worked previously and expect the same results.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1697548223005503618

4 Likes

Alli is the best GK right now at the very top of his game. Salah’s numbers last season show no indication that he isn’t at the top of his game. Trent incredibly is still a work in progress and can only improve. Robbo’s been Robbo , I don’t think his gameplay or his effectiveness has particularly changed for the worse.

Agreed on VVD and you can blame that on the bitter scumbag Prickford for that

3 Likes