Ryan Gravenberch (CM) From Bayern Munich

Isn’t that largely a function of needing to replace Lewandowski’s goals?

Has anyone seen him play 10 games?

1 Like

This guy knows what he’s talking about right?

He has a very odd way of phrasing that sentence, almost lawyerly (“I am of the understanding that, that is correct”)

Yeah, he’s like that “like a sir” meme but seems pretty well connected. He used to be like that only for Arsenal if I remember correctly, their version of Paul Joyce.

That said, Jonathan Northcroft is a very reliable source in my opinion, and one of the best football-related journalists I’ve come across so far. I think he wouldn’t make up or exaggerate the Gravenberch link.

2 Likes

The same could be asked of Bellingham. I mean look at Sancho as an example.

The main reason we are interested in Gravenberch is his price. He will be cheap - something between 25-30 mln. pounds, if BM decide to sell. I don’t have problem with the young Dutch. He is young and has a solid potential, but this transfer comes a year later. We had to sign him last season, when he was available for less than 20 mln. pounds and was in top form, playing every big game for Ajax and shining for them. Since the start of the season he has started just 1 Bundesliga match. One full season on the bench is not helping the development of any young player. And I don’t see him as a starter in our midfield even at this moment. Honestly, I’d prefer to sign Kokcu /the best central midfielder in Eredivisie in my opinion/ and I guess his price won’t be much higher than what Bayern would want for Gravenberch.

We need quality in mdiefield and starters like Caicedo, McAlister, Rice, Barella, Zubimendi etc.
Neves, Mount, Ugarte and Lavia are also very good options for a midfielder signing /if they are not our 1st choice/. Problem is, if the club sign Gravenberch and someone like Mount and that will be it.

A budget of around 60-70 mln. pounds + sales is the expected norm from FSG, when they say they will back the manager, but there will be no big sales to fund the real spending.

Kelleher, Phillips, Williams, Jones and eventually Carvalho /hopefully we will keep the young Portugese and only loan him, because I think he has a future in Liverpool/ can bring extra funds /between 30 or 40 mln. pounds/ without making the squad weaker.

We will lose /without the sales/ on top of that at least 5 players - Adrian, Keita, Arthur, AOC, Firmino /possibly Milner/.

30 mln. pounds for someone like Gravenberch and the club will probably have 50-60 mln. pounds for one expensive midfield signing. That is the reality at this moment, everything else will be wet dreams, like the mantra with Bellingham - like he was out top target for a very long time and now 3 months before the opening of the transfer window the club spoke the truth some of us knew for a very long time - we can’t have him, he is too expensive for our club.

Klopp will concentrate on more realistic signings and this transfer window in my opinion will shape the future of the German and also of the owners.

P.S. Still waiting to see who will be our next sporting director.

2 Likes

Must say that I didn’t really see us going for this one.

But I knew all the time that there could be new names popping up as we get closer to the transfer window.

Can’t say I’ve seen too much of him, but he does seem to have certain potential. An interesting stylistical blend of tehnical and physical ability. We might feel he could be a pretty rounded midfielder if he fulfills his potential. Or starts doing so soon.

It’s not a big deal if a young player struggles in his first season at Bayern. But it’s an interesting one if Bayern are already willing to move on and sell, just accept getting their money back, more or less. And he had about 700 minutes this season. Maybe he’s more of a guy for a 3-man midfield (like in our 4-3-3), rather than the double-pivot structure Bayern play with.

I do wonder if he’s at the stage of his career where he offers more than our players who are between 19 and 22. But of course, not every player is of the same quality/maturity. Bellingham is 2 years younger than Curtis Jones. I hope Gravenberch could be a level above, you want competition.

He’s possibly going to be one of the two new midfield signings. Or three, which could depend on if something comes in for Fabinho. The cheaper one, maybe going into competition with Henderson. But able to play both at RCM and LCM if needed. Then maybe get a more controlling player for LCM, who can go into competition with Thiago. Whoever performs best in the short-term, I don’t think we’re going to ignore that. Our priority is to restore some of our lost principles this season.

So in the long-term, a player like that for not a lot of money. I can understand it. But I wonder how much can he provide us in the short-term. Is he right now a player who has had an almost non-existant season at Bayern, they’re willing to sell him there and able to come in and provide what Liverpool lacks in midfield?

1 Like

Don’t want us to sign Kokcu, a player who vocally anti-gay rights. Fuck that guy.

8 Likes

Not interested in politics only football. He has his own opinion and this is his right.

1 Like

His belief stem from his “religion” apparently, convenient.

Being gay and supporting gay rights has nothing to do with politics.

Apologies I posted this in response but I’m not letting this slide, move or delete mods if you feel appropriate.

10 Likes

Bullshit, you have zero interest in football, you never post anywhere bar to whine about FSG. That’s not football.

5 Likes

And its my right to call him a homophobic prick that I don’t want us to sign.

8 Likes

Yes, that is absolutely your right. And still for me he is the better player and signing for LFC’s midfield, comparing him with Gravenberch

I dont like that he celebrates with a Nazi salute, but you cannot argue with his goals, Jim.

2 Likes

On reflection I think one of my mates who supports West Ham said something similar about Di Canio

1 Like

Don’t know much about this guy. Seems very odd that Bayern would let him go after 12months. But if he fits what we’re looking for at the right price happy days.

NEW: Ryan Gravenberch is enthusiastic over the opportunity to steer his development back on track at Anfield, with Liverpool having made a strong pitch to the player’s camp to sign him from Bayern Munich. [@MelissaReddy_]

I hope the ETH connection doesn’t steer him towards the dark side