The all-new NFL Thread

The Watson trade and contract he is signing is pretty disgusting with all the off field stuff. Not a great look from the league or multiple teams trying to trade for him.

Yeah, invoked the 5th in questioning in a civil deposition. Now has a $230M contract fully guaranteed. The karma building up against Cleveland is pointing to a Theismann-Taylor incident, leaving the Browns in ruins for a decade or more.

1 Like

This entire conversation confuses me

The owners of the bears think Soldier field is too limited in capacity (61,000, the smallest in the league by some distance) and its location and public ownership doesnt provide the owners to open up extra revenue streams associated with the stadium. As a result they’re trying to build themselves a new stadium in the suburbs out by the international airport.

The mayor is responding to public criticism of this move by investigating aggressive public spending plans to keep them in the city (they city already spend half a billion on a stadium renovation 15 years ago). Why?

One of the stated criticisms is that it ignores history - the bears have been at Soldier field since only the 70s.

Another is that O’Hare already has bad traffic and would be difficult to get to. This Guardian piece states though that Soldier field is also difficult to get to by car so what is the difference? It also doesnt state the reality that in a city with an argument for having the best public transport system in the country soldier field is inaccessible by the train without a long walk to finish the trip (through exposed lake front streets, which is a shit walk for the latter half of the season). Why not just spend the money on updating the Blue line (the train that goes to O’Hare), which would make public transport from the major international airport into the city quicker and easier?

They had played there long before that. On the other hand, since 2003 it has been barely recognizable.

1 Like

They had played there on limited occasions, but they played at Wrigley as their home stadium until then.

1 Like

Yeah, wasn’t clear about that - they had played some championship games there with the Nagurski teams, so there was some real history, but not a true home stadium. My main point was that they already trashed that historical feel, back when FSG was first exploring overhaul and expansion of Anfield, Soldier Field was one of the negative examples I noted to offset the positive example of Fenway.

I have to laugh about how obvious the agendas are playing out over Soldier Field. Grass was apparently in rough shape (Elton John concert a week ago), and that is now all over sports pages. Somebody in PR is earning decent money paving the way out to the suburbs.

1 Like

I just don’t get it. If the Bears want a new stadium then cool go and find the financing, build it and move there. Why places beg these teams to stay, and offer to build their stadiums for them, I’ll never understand.

1 Like

Honestly, I am coming o the conclusion that an out of town stadium for the NFL is probably better given the culture around home games. The tailgating culture necessitates cars, which for this amount of people is awful. And yet you only get 8 games a season (fewer if you do some silly alternative venue thing), which doesn’t allow that situation to be baked into the way the community operates. Fuck them all off into the suburbs and concentrate the urban economics of sports around the other 3 sports, ones that host games often enough that patterns around the evens get built into the way that community operates.

1 Like

Bills-Bengals suspended after Hamlin collapsed. Scary scenes.

Just checked the score and saw the abandonment, gut told me it was something scary. Hope he’s ok.

I’m a bills fan, not that that makes any difference right now. Praying and hoping he’s OK. Awful. I’ve seen bad hits and injuries, but nothing like this. I’m glad they postponed game. Reminds me of Erikson situation. Hopefully similar outcome. According to broadcast, “aggressive cpr was administered”

2 Likes

Not a fan of NFL but I saw the incident and he seems like a healthy person but there was a huge impact to his left side of his chest it seems to me when he made that tackle…does a heavy impact to the chest cause Cardiac arrests even without prior health problems? Hope he pulls through and make a good recovery, its scary always when you see something like this happen.

It never has that I’m aware of having watched the NFL for ~ 40 years. Nobody has witnessed anything like this at a football (college or pros) game before, that I’m aware of. I was watching last night during and after and everyone was stunned by what they witnessed.

It was a fairly routine tackle for the NFL. He stood up, took a step, then fell over.

I’ve seen scary head and neck injuries, but this is the first time in an American football game I’ve seen someone need CPR on the field.

It reminds me of the Hank Gathers incident, and later the Muamba one. I happened to be watching that Loyola Marymount game after getting in from the library (was in grad school at the time). I suspect we will hear the causes are quite similar, arrhythmia leading to a stoppage.

1 Like

Commotio Cordis is a known phenemenon where the heart can be jarred out of normal rhtym with a blow to chest at just the right (wrong) spot and just the right (wrong) time. The arrhythmia will typically quickly degenerate into cardiac arrest if not got back into normal sinus rhythm quickly. It’s a really low probability incident, but it’s a known phenomenon. Its why people who are susceptible to arrhythmias, including certain types of myopathy, struggle to get clearance to play contact sports. It’s possible he was entirely healthy and just suffered a one in a billion fluke event, but his medical records will be poured over now trying to find someone at fault for missing something rather than just acknowledging its a barbaric sport.

Apparently the league tried to get the player to go restart the game once they got the player off the pitch and the teams collectively told them to get fucked.

2 Likes

Or Eriksen. Hopefully, has an Eriksen result or at least a Muamba one. I was wondering if they difibbrilated him on the field. They keep talking CPR, but surely if they had paddles…

They would have absolutely had an AED available pitchside, but it doesnt always get them back in rhythm. What you’d typically see is some combination of CPR while you get the AED ready, some round of shocks from the AED and then continued CPR in between until the AED does what’s designed to do.

1 Like

CPR should be done immediately and then when available the AED should work in tandem with the CPR.

It shouldn’t be stopped until the patient is revived or otherwise. As I was told.

1 Like

His heart stopped, he collapsed, AED and CPR were administered on the field, he was put on oxygen and stabilized, and transported to local hospital where he was kept incubated.

After ambulance left the field, they announced the game would continue after a 5 minute warm up period. It was not a short amount of time with all the players watching the AED and CPR happening right in front of them. Players all had 1000 yards stares and were distraught. Coaches got together with the refs after 5 min announcement and they decided tohead back to the locker rooms where common sense prevailed and the game was called. Big props to Cincinnati coach zack taylor who came to buffalo’s sideline where they then decided to head in. Buffalo’s defense was starting to head back onto the field to somehow try and play when Taylor walked across field to talk to McDermott.

NFL wanted game to continue, no question, and without actions of the coaches it probably would have. Thank God common sense prevailed.

1 Like