The all-new NFL Thread

That defeats the whole purpose of a draft. The NBA used to be much worse for tanking before the lottery, as did the NHL.

The NBA lottery doesn’t help much either; the 76ers just tanked for multiple years in order to game the system.

Personally, I’m not bothered about “the purpose” of the draft. If you’re a great team ran by smart people who just won the Super Bowl AND you happen to be the number 1 pick in the draft that year then good luck to you. I like watching good teams.

Look at European footy leagues, and the number of teams from each of them that have won title. That dynamic tends toward concentrating champions in a very small number of teams, largely because of free agency. Even with the New England ‘dynasty’ it produces far better variety. The NFL has had more champions in the past 9 years than the EPL has had since its inception.

1 Like

I think the draft produces far too many crap games where ownership and often management actively try to lose - even though they’re a bad organisation who will and do fuck up that person’s career in 99.9% of situations.

I don’t think it’s a fair comparison to the European leagues. The European leagues reward winning - you get more money to reinvest in the squad therefore making future winning easier - to my mind the equivalent would be giving the winner of the Super Bowl the #1 pick every year and reversing the current order.

The current draft system rewards losing, you get better picks and better trade chips by being worse. Once you miss the playoffs there is no incentive to try and win beyond professional integrity. What I’m suggesting is either randomising the order or rotating it yearly therefore ending “tanking” as a concept.

You’re right, it doesn’t happen often, but it shouldn’t happen at all. We could have had a situations where the 10-6 Dolphins miss out because they play in a stronger division, while the 6-10 Giants get in because they play in a weak one.

Remove the divisions and the best 8 teams from the AFC and NFC all qualify.

Those are issues the current system has anyway.

@jgw_geneseo Good luck for tonight’s game. I’d like to meet you guys again in the Super Bowl- the only problem is that we have no chance of getting there! :joy:

1 Like

Good luck to all involved. The Bears won’t lose today.

1 Like

Nice end to the half. C’mon bills! Diggs about to go off second half.

Come on Colts make your domination count!!!

What a game! Colts should’ve won it but left too many points on the field.

If the other games are half as good as this, we’re in for a cracking weekend!

1 Like

Went sober for new years, think I might need a one day break :woozy_face:

2 Likes

What the fuck was the Rams QB doing? :astonished:

I’ve been asking myself that question for 35 years.

2 Likes

I’m not saying anything for your sake. But that doesn’t mean I’m not watching.

Well, well, well.

1 Like

Rams defense Wow just Wow!

1 Like

Rams’ offence: ???

1 Like

Good luck @Alright_Now

I’m sure you’re a bag of nerves right now.

For a change.

1 Like

I don’t see how da Bears can lose