The Boxing and MMA thread

Scouser and Liverpool fan Paddy Pimblett is heading to the ring now for his fight against former UFC Champion Tony Ferguson.

That’s going to be a win for Pimblett. He lit Ferguson up in the 1st round, controlled the 2nd in the grapple. Looks like Ferguson hit him with an elbow and broke his nose so he was struggling at the start of the 3rd round to get oxygen, but he got Ferguson into another grapple and saw the fight out.

Trump ringside to watch his biggest fan Covington. Not sure Covington has earned this title shot against Edwards but he’s certainly managed to rile the champ up in the pre-fight press conferences.

4 rounds gone and Edwards has beaten up on Covington in a calm and composed way. Amazingly Covington just told his corner he thinks he is winning.

Update: Easy win for Edwards, never got out of second gear and didn’t have to. Covington isn’t the calibre of fighter that could trouble Edwards, his performance was sloppy and slow - looked terrified of Edwards for most of the fight. Rocky chewed up his leg early and then just waited for the bell.

Embarrassed himself again in the post match. “Not a scratch on him” as he bleeds from wounds on his face and his leg is barely still attached. Hopefully the last we see of him in the UFC.

Same can be said for Tony. Needs to hang up the gloves for good, 7 defeats in a row has turned what was a stellar record into a pretty average one. Pimblett is not a particularly high level fighter either.

1 Like

Kabayel k.o.ed his opponent in the fourth round.

Wilder has never been a good boxer. Overhyped :us:

Parker gave Wilder a boxing lesson tonight.

Come on Wallinn.

That’s the best I’ve seen Joshua look in a long time.

He has top tier punching power but that’s about it, an absolute bum otherwise. Parker isn’t exactly great either and I can’t say I expected him to make as much of a fool of him as he did but was quite hilarious to watch.

Should just book Wilder vs Ngannou now. Have them slog it out in the crappest heavyweight boxing contest we’ve ever seen and see who gets knocked out.

I don’t think Parker’s win was a shock really. Slight surprise (more that Wilder landed almost nothing important) yeah, but since the whole Fury saga, a lot about Wilder has been found out. Plus, he didn’t fight enough high level quality opponents. You need to attack him, but in a clever way.

Didn’t see anything particularly new (not even a layer) and it’s a very dangerous game to just wait for the right hand. Especially against a well rounded, active fighter like Parker (doesn’t have something special to him, but doesn’t have much weaknesses).

You just keep losing rounds and you can’t even be sure that one punch definitely ends it. Especially against the top guys. You have a look at rounds and must think “f*ck, already… I don’t have much time left”. Parker on the other hand probably thought “yeah, he does nothing and my activity is winning me rounds comfortably, thank you very much”.

Wilder was probably rock bottom after Fury. I think he’s now just comfortable that he’s back competing for a few more fights, pick up some more money before he ends his career.

Josh looked pretty good. It’s an interesting dynamic now with a lot of changes in his coaching staff. I wonder if his work with James is now over and he’s fully going to work with Davison. One could say it’s too many changes, but if it doesn’t feel right, maybe he’s right to keep looking elsewhere.

We saw a bit more lateral movement, being more prepared what to do immediately after certain moves that are very natural to him and more intent in his shots. Mixing up more. It didn’t take long for him to leave damage on Wallin’s face.

We have the big Fury v Usyk “final” and now it’ll be interesting what happens just below them with the likes of Joshua, Hrgovic, Dubois (decent win, but for almost half the fight, he did receive a lot also), etc.

Sadly Callum was no match for Beterbiev, even at his age he’s too strong, too powerful, too destructive. Only Bivol or Benavidez can beat him at 175.

Pretty much expected, I was surprised at the amount of people believing in Callum Smith in this fight. Wishful thinking probably, nothing else.

https://x.com/queensberry/status/1753475674621317573?s=46&t=qjQdwJi2khWQQz87wqB34A

The Balotelli of Boxing.

You mean he likely did it to himself? Like this?
Tyson Fury punching himself in the face 2 animated gif

It’s amazing the guy who did that would go on to rule the HW division :joy:

“But it was a deflection Jeff, there was nothing he could’ve done about it!”

Looks like May 18th is the next target for Fury v Usyk.

Turki announced it and both sides (verbally at least) agreed to it.

Also…

1st of June should be Bivol v Beterbiev as the main event with 5 fights of choice between Matchroom (Hearn) v Queensberry (Warren).

Glad this is happening, now that Crawford Spence is out the way this is the next biggest, most anticipated fight that could’ve been made.

More plans confirmed…

Hrgovic will be offered to fight on the 8th of March card, if he can agree a fight with one of the following 6 fighters: Dubois, Bakole, Sanchez, Miller, Kabayel, Anderson.