The Cricket Thread

1675 runs in 5 days

1 Like

The other thing is Southee has been quite poor this entire test. Coupled with Jamieson missing.

Was like Rocky in the finale of 4, no matter how hard they hit us, we just wouldn’t go down. Then Bairstow went full last round.

1 Like

Wagner is no mug

I don’t understand why they were so bouncer-happy. Johnny took them to the cleaners!! None of the NZ lads out there were express pace and you could see Bairstow was locked in!

160 runs in 16 overs. Damn , dont see the kiwis recovering from that.

All captains have brain farts at times. JB could have been caught out on the boundary on 20 then the captain’s a genius. That’s what makes cricket so enthralling. But when he’s pulling 4 after 4 and hooking back to back 6s you go back to line and length top of off stump.

:crazy_face:

3 Likes

Anyway , we have had some cracking test matches the last few years. This is why i love test cricket the most.

Any argument that is being kept in favour of tests only lasting for 4 days should die a very swift painful death

4 Likes

I would also praise t20 as a format for a result like this to be possible. Not that i am a fan of that format per se… But this result could not be possible if not for the t20 mindset that bairstow possesses.

He will fail 9 out of 10 times but the one time he does succeed makes for some memorable moments.

I for one was expecting a draw on this one. And to win a match at 50 odd for 3 with the best batsman in the world on current form back does take some doing.

2 Likes

Also i like test matches which have conditions favouring the bowlers a little bit more. But matches like this are fun as well…

Would still say that the problems for england are still wide open for other teams to exploit. Disappointing to see NZ crumble but then again goes to show their limitations as well i suppose.

Thats what makes this era of test cricket so interesting… All the top teams have their strengths and weaknesses and are roughly equal.

1 Like

There is a slot for T20 and Test match even for ODI but I hope the Hundred flops this year.

Openers
Spinner
Long Tail
Reliance on aging opening bowlers

Anything else?

Other prospective promising bowlers constantly injured (Archer, Robinson)

1 Like

Oh you know it won’t, the obsession with shortening every sport going will continue.

1 Like

England 341/2 after 40.2 overs. Going ok, I’d say.

3 of the top 4 with hundreds. First time England has had 3 centurions in the same ODI (Salt, Malan, Buttler)

Buttler’s just smashed the second fastest hundred by an Englishman off 47 balls. He’s also got the fastest off 45 balls.

Sheesh. Livingstone’s on 33 after 7 balls.

England now 446/4 with 4 overs left. Second highest ODI total in history (behind England’s 481/6 from 4 years ago). England now with the top 3 highest totals in ODIs.

New ODI record highest score of 498/4. What a ridiculous scorecard

I hope ECB is getting paid handsomely for this because it’s pointless playing such cannon fodder. A bowling machine would provide more of a challenge

1 Like