The Cricket Thread

What is the problem with ODIs? The last world cup was great, and there are a number of good teams at the top.

I think it becomes unwatchable (after over number 15 to over 42.

Teams go on run accumulation mode and fielding sides go on run saving fields. I’d rather just have test cricket as a format and pair that with 20-20.

And how is 20/20 superior?

Its not!
I think the argument that 20/20 misses the ‘boring middle overs’ of ODIs, misses the point that without these wickets just aren’t valued the same way which in turn means bowling is a very different exercise. 50 over cricket (just like test cricket I may add) does go through periods of lessor or more excitement but one of the solutions is to try and ensure the pitches remain varied. Many of the best ODIs I have watched (in Australia) have been on dire quagmires in the 90s at places like Bellerive or Sydney - an era where groundskeepers were proud to produce very varied pitches rather than the increasingly universal roads as apparently all spectators just want to see loads of 6s and 4s.

1 Like

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with ODI (or even Test) crickets. It’s the abomination called T20 that is ruining cricket.

T20 has not only allowed some very limited cricketers to earn big bucks, it’s also the entertainment to people who doesn’t give/know shit about cricket.

1 Like

If i wanted a quicker match , I’d go for T20. If I wanted the actual cricket , I’d go for Tests.

Also the volume of cricket being played (due to T20s) means fast bowlers who play all three formats will either have to tone it down or break down frequently. Just too much stress on the whole body to hurl down 90+mph thunderbolts so frequently.

For me, fast bowlers are one of the main draws of cricket. Without them the game loses excitement

3 Likes

Boycott every day of the week. Absolute pure technical bliss and test batting artistry

Run the b***** out

2 Likes

Yes, I do both.

I’ve watch most of the T20 and ODI matches so far. The last game where we lost the series there was a moment where the crowd got into it and we folded like a cheap suitcase. I don’t recall exactly but I think I heard we had a pretty abysmal record in Sri Lanka in the limited overs form and we did nothing to improve that record. The ODI series is over now so I expect our openers to both hit double hundreds in the dead rubber.

I’m really looking forward to the couple of tests coming up though. T20’s suck. ODIs are ok but sitting down watching 5 days of cricket is the good stuff.

Loads of club ones but no county ground as such.

I think its an english cricket fan thing , watching boycott tavare barrington and the likes block their way and produce absolute boredom…

Taking perverse pleasure in watching something soul numbingly boring as that

Pujara

Terrible non review by England. Poor Potts!

Watch Mitchell get another 100 now.

Terrible umpiring not to give it out in the first place.

England probably concerned that Dar would find a non-existent edge again.

Unbelievable dismissal!

Never seen anything like it.

I dont know that anyone enjoys watching someone just batting out time for the sake of it, unless it’s a back foot attempt to save a test (Atherton in South Africa in the mid 90s). But there is an appreciation of the value of holding down a wicket is allied to them or someone else at the other end taking advantage of the waring down of the bowler that produces. It’s that sort of patient strategy that can make test cricket so enthralling despite the usual slow pace.

Yes, I think Lancashire sometimes still play at Aigburth?

Great game this, flat pitch and we’re doing really well to contain and attack them.

2 Likes