The Cricket Thread

It wasn’t controversial in the slightest.

Them’s the rules.

1 Like

She’s out fair and square and in future don’t cheat. And don’t cry about it either.

It’s a boring debate every time it rears it’s head. The rules are crystal clear. I saw some if it got stirred up a bit again today because the Indian captain apparently claimed she offered multiple warnings which the England captain has denied, but even that is irrelevant to me. The responsibility is on the player to follow a very basic rule, not on the opposition players or umpires to potentially stop them from being legitimately dismissed.

I’ve umpired when this has been done. Bowler said to the bat at the non-striker’s end words to the effect that if you do that again I’ll stump you and checked with me that it would be valid. 2 balls later…….

The batter cannot be allowed to gain an advantage. Mankading is fair. Still having a hangup over that is idiotic

1 Like

As a Baseball fan you leave the bag to gain an advantage, potentially to steal a base, this is the same in my view.

You are leaving the crease to make the run shorter. I really don’t see the moaning.

4 Likes

This x 1000!

I was thinking the same thing.

The basic concept I understand. Start moving as the ball is being bowled, so that you have momentum when you start running. But if you allow your bat to leave the crease prior to the bowler releasing the ball, then if they are able to react quick enough and run you out, that is your own fault.

5 Likes

Think indians will understand this a bit more. Atleast about the history of Amul to make such snapshots about current events.

1 Like

I stand about two paces back and get into stride with the bowler as he passes. Means I’ve got the momentum and can be 4/5 paces down the pitch before the decision’s made. The classic “bowler deflects ball onto the stumps from a straight drive” is very rare (at our Sunday league standard).

1 Like

Yep, playing at school, I would start inbetween the umpire and stumps and start walking when the bowler was just short of the umpire. I could then adjust where I start based on how quick the bowlers run up was.

1 Like

You learn as a kid to match your momentum to the bowler and trail your bat behind you as a way of gaining an extra foot or so beyond the crease. It’s basics. No excuse for fucking it up at any level, let alone international.

1 Like

The problem is it wasn’t a case of fucking up. She left the crease early 72 times in that game. She knew what she was doing and gaining an advantage by doing it.

3 Likes

The problem is more about the likes of Piers Morgan etc making it like the bowler is cheating.

4 Likes

If this happens more often , maybe batsmen will not cheat

2 Likes

Agreed but equally, she could have gained the advantage she was seeking simply by stretching out her bat behind her, keeping it grounded behind the line. It’s what you’re taught to do at school. You close the distance to the other end whilst remaining ‘in’ as the bowler delivers the ball.

3 Likes

England in danger of throwing away what should have been another fairly routine win. Dog of an innings that by Malan, seemed like he played and missed at about 90% of the balls he faced. Never looks convincing against spin.

Imagine reviewing that

1 Like

I think I know which one you mean, I laughed my head off when they went for review.

Had been a great start for England, don’t know what Salt was thinking there. Brainless running after just losing a wicket. Shame as he was looking very destructive again.

Ah well, time for Malan to provide a meaningful contribution in this series.

Good series.

I’m not the biggest fan of T20 but it has its place and this was a genuine contest.

On to Aus vs Eng on Sunday.

1 Like