The Cricket Thread

Well played Benjamin. Should be a regular three format player for England soon enough.

I wonder how much pressure Stokes is under to make this last more than 2 days? 3 days? He could have called them in an hour ago………

Cynical? Me? Never.

Basically keep the foot off until 12 overs pass tomorrow and then bowl them out :wink:

I wouldn’t have bought a Saturday ticket for this test.

Anybody who buys fourth or fifth day tickets for an England test match nowadays is a fool.

1 Like

Fair.

Unless it’s Leeds, the weather has got a chance of helping that.

https://twitter.com/espncricinfo/status/1665023974076448768?s=46&t=qjQdwJi2khWQQz87wqB34A

Keep that knee on ice Benjamin

1 Like

That was always the major concern with Stokes.

I’d be worried that Ireland could score so well second innings.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/espncricinfo/status/1665393298326913026?s=46&t=qjQdwJi2khWQQz87wqB34A

Yeah:

Fuck. The scary thing is that even injured he’s still the best spinner in England and that’s saying something. One of our clubs’ kids can turn it almost square but he’s less accurate than a sidewinder missile with a magnet stuck to it after an hour in the microwave.

I don’t think it’s a massive blow.

I’m never convinced to be honest. Of course that probably doesn’t leave much else bar to experiment thankfully the Ashes only gets started in July oh wait they want it finished by then for this silly 100.

1 Like

If England can keep your main 3 of Anderson Broad and the kiwi fit you should still be ok.

The problem will be keeping the 3 of them fit

Not a fan of Leach to be honest, but never wish injury on anyone. Will be interesting to see what happens now. Rehan Ahmed is extremely raw, but I don’t know much about alternative spinners. May be a chance for someone like Woakes, who has the additional advantage of being a decent batsman. Jimmy, Robbo, Broad, Woakes? A bit samey though. Wood is very fragile and neither SB or JA will be able to play all 5 tests.

1 Like

Would be a big call to throw Ahmed in at just 18, I would say Jacks would be a more likely selection. Doesn’t seem like they fancy Parkinson anymore. Dawson has bowled well domestically for the last couple of years and is another who can contribute with the bat, but I’m not convinced he’s particularly threatening enough at international level. Livingstone might have an outside shout, though I doubt he’d offer much control. Always the option of a Moeen sos call…

I suspect Woakes will be the one who benefits the most and it will be four seamers with Stokes & Root to have the occasional bowl. He has a great record with the ball in England, is a solid batsman and will give them the option of rotating Anderson and Broad whilst keeping the option of playing a faster bowler (Wood, Jamie Overton, Tounge).

1 Like

causse you’re village if you do and village if you don’t!

Oh good lord :joy: :joy:. Trash talking about what happens with Bazball if England loses the first two tests, coming from Australia’s walking wicket who’s made 1 score over 50 in 12 months, and is about to face the guy he has a severe allergy to. :man_facepalming:

The true sign of a wanker when his best approach would have been to keep his head down knowing how under fire he is and let the runs do the talking, but instead proceeds to talk the talk.

I just wish for once the Australian selectors wouldn’t handicap themselves by going into a test series with 1 less player than the opposition.

2 Likes

Aussie mentality, brash it out :slight_smile:

Are the Saudis putting together a big money-spinning T20 league?

I’m Indian today

1 Like

Makes two of us. United and Australia hold a special place in my cold dark heart. Went through US immigration a few days after we won in 2005 with the Aussie under 21 team going past us in the endless back and forth line. Mrs now knows what it’s like to be talked at loudly about something she has no interest in for an hour. “And then Freddie roared in……” etc. Still surprised I didn’t get lynched!

Nah, us Aussies are good losers. We are just even better winners. Because we are so used to it, I guess that means we know how to handle victories better than say, England.