The Cricket Thread

Will say that there’s a difference even in subcontinental spinners when it comes to the use of overspin and the seam. You don’t see SL,Pak spinners using overspin whereas in India, it’s pretty much the norm

England spinners now tearing through the Indian batting line-up, in India. Wow.

117 for 6 now, lead of 5 runs.

Root is rapidly becoming an all rounder. Extraordinary test match.

So both teams collapse in their first innings. Root with the golden arm. Yes, the pitch is turning, but both teams’ 1st innings score is below par.

I reckon one good partnership in the 2nd innings will determine who wins this match. Once you get your eye in, you need to take advantage. The first 20 balls for a new batsman is crucial to avoid a flurry of wickets coming.

I think most of the top order batsman in both teams got out thinking of the previous turning balls. Need to just forget about that and play the cliched one ball at a time.

Anyway, draw is out of the equation, a battle of who can go 2-1 up. Should be a good days play.

Bairstow, I’ve done some utterly stupid things on a cricket pitch but fuck me that was maddening insanity. OK, not out but plug your brain in!!!

3 Likes

Ridiculous. Duck in first innings, tries sweep shot, lucky to survive will DRS saying over the top, then playing wrong line.

1 Like

All about the spin. Beautiful 5-for from Root after a really poor morning from India.

What a terrible start for England in their 2nd innings. Don’t see this test making it past Day 4 at this rate!

1 Like

At this rate, surely you mean day 2? :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

It’s all about Root staying in now - Faaaaack! I jinxed him. Game over

If we set them 100, I’m having a migraine and going home from work early.

“Bowled him!”

Fuck.

Lads, you guys are allowed to use that thing you’re holding to hit the ball. Try that.

1 Like

Root should open the bowling himself. Pick up a wicket in the first over to create a scare.

Nothing to lose. you never know. Go all out.

awkward zach galifianakis GIF

:rofl:

Yes. given that England have broken a record for lowest innings total, and there are still 3 hrs for India to get the remaining runs, it’ll be over today.

So much for looking forward to 5 days of cricket - massively short changed!

It’s a shit pitch but some atrocious batting has led to 81 all out. India were playing some hideous stuff as well.

Anyone not watching, will see the result of a test completed in two days and equate it to a very poor pitch. But those watching would see something even worse than a below average pitch - and that as @mattyhurst has said is the atrocious batting.

Modern players have lost the skill of good defence on a spinning pitch. This pitch has one thing for it, and that is the bounce has remained true.

Yes, there is turn, but the amount of outs to a straight on ball is crazy. Use your feet to get down the track, or go back and use the full crease. Only Rohit Sharma in this match has done this to any degree.

What’s needed is the lost art of footwork against the spin.

3 Likes

I never understand why in this situation, they don’t play another test. They’re geared up and paid to pay 5 days, get them played! Sure the fans and stadiums would agree. Imagine if an Ashes test at Lords finished in 2 days? Would almost bankrupt them (yes I know there’s insurance) and or push the insurance through the roof. One of the massively irritating things about cricket.

The problem with batting (as you’ll know if you’ve played) is that you can get used to turn and swing. It’s when a ball does what it hasn’t been doing that you’re in trouble. You play 4 balls that turn viciously to off then the 5th goes straight (with the same action) you have trouble. Yes you play each ball on its merits but a ball that does something utterly different will defeat most.

No excuse for Bairstow though, absolutely brain dead.

1 Like

England is melting and it’s not even summer.

Me neither