The Cricket Thread

Chemtrails, cloud seeding, you need to open up your mind and see what your government is doing. Nobody is safe.

Ouch. I wonder if that will hurt? It is Marnus and he does like to rub it in on the scoreboard when this happens…

I don’t blame you for getting on the drink at this stage.

Fair play to Australia, they are clearly the superior team with better players and tactics. They have a wonderful balance between batting and bowling and a developed culture of success.

I’m very disappointed as an England fan (not an unusual situation to be honest), but we really could have made more of a contest of it. At 180-1 we were in a great position to get close to the Australian score, but we threw it away, being suckered by an obvious and simple tactic. That is quite pathetic.

England do have a good batting line up, although Stokes is a major concern at the moment, but the bowling isn’t sharp enough at this level. Anderson seems to be finally hitting the buffers and the rest is samey and mediocre. The lack of real pace and a class spinner mean that we will never be able to challenge at the top level.
Hopefully, the recent criticisms of the way the game in England is organised will lead to some changes in how the game is run, and may open up possibilities for talented young players to break through, but I won’t be holding my breath. Such changes have been needed ever since I started watching the game in the early seventies, and nothing much has happened.

Anyway, congratulations again to the Aussies, and time for England to ask some difficult questions of themselves.

1 Like

Surprised Broad hasn’t convinced Stokes to review it, it looked good in real time to me.

Conditions are really good out there for England. A bit of misfortune with some going past the edge but the bowlers who love a good moan at the best of times can hardly complain here, they’ve not been good enough.

Of all the balls to get out to, Labuschagne picks that one. Rank ball from Anderson gets a wicket.

https://twitter.com/paddypower/status/1674805436384518145?s=46&t=WmjWm_FqqFdVHHP8b7dN9A

1 Like

Does anyone know, KP talking about being in the African bush, well he seems like a bit of a dick in general, but is he playing this up? Honestly, he comes across as one of those posh private South African schoolboy types.

Could be wrong on all that and he’s battled in his South African upbringing.

He’s a complete twerp.

Best ignored.

A slightly older than me white South African.

I doubt he had it bad, maybe the gardener didn’t turn up one week.

1 Like

Doubt we’ll see Anderson in the next test match. Looks well below his usual standards.

The worst thing about England is this. For so long the Ausies beat us because we were a poor team with poor bowling and poor batting. We got out because we were not good enough. Yesterday we got out because we played bad shots. That’s not about talent, that’s mentality.

Jimmy needs to be dropped, unfortunately.

Non threatening bowling and he can’t catch a cold.

1 Like

If the Aussies can aim for head, face n shoulders and intimidate batsmen…what’s all the whoo-haaa about English bowlers doing it…taste of their own medicine comes to mind…

if thats aimed at me ill try to eloborate

theres no issue with it in the game…beyond the normal parameters and the laws of the game.

i was refering to your comment that (without the context you put it in) sounded pretty nasty actually …‘didnt hit him hard enough’ when hes got a black eye from a cricket ball in the head sounds pretty mean spirited…

Phil Hughes died from a whack in the head.

bowling some chin music is one thing, celebrating a hit to the head whilst feilding (presume without a helmet)and declaring it should have hit him harder is another thing altogether

The England pitches are too slow for chin music to be particularly effective. The bowlers aren’t the guys who can bowl a heavy ball either.

I guess you’re not watching this test? It seems like nobody on either side has any idea what to do with the short ball.

Not gotten the time. Meant to do it over the weekend but England haven’t turned up at all.

I was just watching the game…when the commentators were discussing wether the umpires should warn England about how many bouncers they are sending down the crease, and if the player batting felt intimidated, they should step in, but they didn’t yesterday and it was obvious they were aiming at Brook’s head…just watching the game…no finger pointing intended…as Naz has just said…2 bouncers per over…but it was a few more yesterday…just saying…

Aussies have barely scored a run since England started bowling short, even Khwaja and Smith chipped the ball straight up in the air.

The rest of the series is probably going to see loads of short bowling.

1 Like

wow. A bit too late though for this test match atleast. Always felt that the likes of Smith , Labuschagne and Khawaja are vulnerable to a well directed short ball.

It’s only Tongue and Broad who can actually bowl a short ball though. Robinson’s 75mph bouncers don’t pose much of a problem.