The Cricket Thread

England once Anderson also retires will be two short of proper wicket taking bowlers.

Sure Wood and Woakes have done their bit, but where is the spearhead opening bowling pair going to come from?

Shame, really losbed Broads performances

1 Like

Not sure Anderson has been that good this summer so at this point he is probably taking up a place.

Broad however has been top notch this series for most of it, we will miss what they’ve contributed, I suppose the way it’s set up for a series in India and then 2 3 test series next summer it makes sense to try and bed in some new guys.

2 Likes

Vaughn: “Snoozeball yesterday morning and Bazball today”

Broady’s been an absolute star. He is still a frontline wicket-taking bowler. But he knows how much hard work it is at his age to just keep in shape to maintain his levels.

He will be missed big time.

1 Like

Definitely! I’d say it’s more the time for Anderson to hang up the spikes.

1 Like

Root’s Bazball transformation has been dramatic and oh so pleasing to witness :heart_eyes:

Didn’t realise wood and wokes were 33 and 34 respectively, so they’ve only probably got 2 years in them, particularly Wood with the stress of bowling 90mph all day.

Not sure who are the up and coming tou g pace bowlers are

Tongue looks promising.

Ollie Robinson is quality as long as he can stay fit.

I’ve pretty much given up on Archer coming back sadly.

Not sure Stokes’ knee will ever allow him to be a frontline bowler again.

They’ve almost got that lead.

I slightly disagree. They will be 2 short of wicket taking bowlers that can stay fit. Woods and Archer can both be those wicket taking bowlers, but struggle with fitness issues. If ENgland can find a way to get Woods and Archer into the sort of fitness levels of Broad and Anderson then they have the 2 bowlers to step in and take the bulk of the wickets

Mark Wood is 33. There’s no way he carries on for another 2 years given his onjury record. England have only themselves to blame for allowing two fast bowlers to do so way beyond their best.

1 Like

Anderson should have retired two years back. Yeah , he probably can still take wickets in England. But him continuing to play (and broad) has stunted the growth of a lot of England bowlers.

Woakes is better than all of them, in English conditions.

Don’t think England will ever have a problem producing bowlers that can take wickets in this country. Medium paced dobbers like Robinson can run through an opposition. There are a number of bowlers around the Lions/county/fringes of the test side that would do a good job.

Wood, Archer, Stone, Mahmood etc could be good options away from home, the problem comes with keeping them fit.

Archer isn’t coming back. As others have mentioned, Wood (injury prone) and Woakes are at the end of their careers. Robinson, who is an above average county medium pacer, and Tongue, who has played two test matches, are the only other options at the moment.
It’s not a great situation and it’s a shame as England presently have such batting riches.

Maybe, but his average had kept improving before this series, and this time last year he was in the top three bowlers in the world.

That’s not the main concern though. No quick bowlers , no spinners of repute. England are fecked. They can thank their county pitches for that

It did but at what cost.

Keeping in mind he’s played the grand sum of 13 tests in his career, its an absolutely miniscule sample size, but the jury is still out how well he produces outside of UK. He could be another Woakes. Unless he had an injury problem at the time, the average of 100+ in both NZ games doesn’t look too good. Better in India and SA is SA.

It’s a moot point anyway. He’s always injured, and when he’s not he’s chasing the T20 money in India.

1 Like

There’s Tongue, Potts. Cook, Fisher. Plenty more.

Like I said, I doubt England will struggle too much to produce a decent set of fast bowlers. You can disagree if you like, I doubt anybody here (including me) knows anything at all worth sharing about the county scene.

Spinners, obviously a bleaker outlook.

Yup this series turned around when Wood showed up to be honest.