The Cricket Thread

Interesting couple of T20 series starting today, leading into ODIs in preparation for the ODI World Cup. A refreshed looking Australia side in SA (currently smashing them to all parts), and England hosting NZ with a familiar batting line up but some newer bowlers entering the fold.

Personally would have liked to have seen Atkinson play, think he’ll be a real force for England in the coming years in the shorter formats.

1 Like

Good bowling performance that from England. Carse very impressive, three spinners all bowled with control, Luke Wood expensive as usual but got important top order wickets. Should knock these off with relative ease providing they don’t chuck away too many wickets early on.

Easy win in the end. Nice played by Malan and Brook, Jacks with some big hitting up front to set it up.

3 Likes

So, after almost 10 years out the game joined a club in May, did net sessions every week, started pre season three weeks ago; 41, 41 not out, 42 not out. Averaging 124 with strike rate well over 100 in pre season (T20 format). Don’t know anyone from a bar of soap, got elected to the associations Club committee running the leagues.

Two schools of thought here; either its going very well or they’re scraping the bottom of the barrel just at the moment :man_shrugging: :zipper_mouth_face:

4 Likes

You are remarkably consistent

1 Like

It’s been rubbish having almost all of August without any Test cricket.

Great batting. Even against poor bowling (not that I’m saying it is) it is hard to be that consistent, and much easier to get yourself out. Have you had a bowl yet?

I hit a 50* myself in my last t20 game, with a handful of 6s. Already got a call up to the 2s in my club after just a couple of game for the 3s (my current bowling avg is under 4).

Shame I waited so long to get back into it, nothing beats a good game of cricket.

2 Likes

The current ECB eligibility criteria for players, both men and women are:

• a) British Citizenship and,
  • b) Either born in England/Wales, or three years residence (a total of 210 days/year April-March) and
  • c) Not played as a local player in professional international or domestic cricket in a Full Member country within the last three years

Do you happen to qualify? Just asking…

1 Like

We need bowlers. Illok’s average of under 4 could transform the next Ashes series.

3 Likes

Provided the Aussies are willing to send out teenagers or pensioners, I’m more than capable.

Started out pretty decent, 3 for 19 first game, then got worse, 1 for 31 of the next and then last week the leggies got smashed 0-25 in just 2 overs.

Practise I guess, as with anything.

1 Like

I know right, can’t quite figure out how it happened those scored are so close myself. Bit miffed I didn’t get 50’s, the not outs were chasing.

Anyway, final practise 20 over next weekend, a fundraising 10 over tournament between all the teams the last weekends in Sept and then into the league format. Can’t wait.

Yep. My bowling has progressively got better every game. Think I bowled 5 wides in my first game in two overs.

Do you get to bowl with a new ball? We play with whatever old balls are found in the bottom of the captain’s bag in the t20 games but get a new cherry on the weekend (longer format). Bowling with a good ball makes a huge difference, I don’t think I’ve bowled a single full/good length delivery that has been hit for runs, they swing all over the place.

And leggies are just too difficult to bowl in a game without a ton of practice.

1 Like

Yeah, new. Not the best quality Tbf. Kookaburras are for the league and bloody expensive. Still early spring here, hasn’t been too humid and very windy. Not much swing to contend with. And yeah, I’m pretty decent when the leggies come out right but jeez, they’re not really, way too full mostly. Will cost the team in a crunch if it stays like this. As you say, practise, practise, practise.

1 Like

How are you finding it fitness wise? I’m pretty much useless a day or two after a session and the practise games.

1 Like

Certainly not as easy as when I was 14!

Like anything, it gets easier the more you do it. I’m less sore and for shorter periods of time now than when I first started.

I’m netting in about 30 mins, and playing again on saturday. I’ll need to take it easy to be at 100% for the weekend otherwise I will still be sore.

I need to improve my actual cardiovascular fitness. I bowled a 6 over (uphill) spell a couple of weekends ago and was absolutely dead by my last over. Figures were 1-1 before it, slumping to 1-6!

I’ll be aiming to get properly fit/strong for cricket over the winter, and have a really good season next year.

2 Likes

What?

1 Like

Our season’s finished. High score of 48, stumped going for the big yahoo. Not bowled much due to breaking one foot then the other. 2 wickets 10 runs. I’ll have that. Preferring playing 5 a side now, don’t know how long the legs will hold out. Will concentrate on that till I can’t then focus on cricket till it’s golf time.

England a class above NZ so far tonight who look light on batting. Brook again superb with the bat, surely has to be forcing them to reconsider their World Cup plans.

1 Like

Wouldnt surprise me if someone suddenly gets a convenient injury.

He should be there ahead of Roy and Malan anyway. Roy has been crap for a sustained period now and although Malan has a good record in the format, I’m not sure if you need both him and Root in the team.

Atkinson, exceptional debut.

1 Like