The Cricket Thread

Yeah , especially as Pak never win

Tfft! He was a cheat and a generally odious character.
No tears here.

4 Likes

Gotta feel for their fans. They are the Spursiest sports team in the world and that includes Spurs.

1 Like

They are simply put Everton.

Had some success in the past and now rely on flash in the pans and freak innings.

And feel for the fans , not so much the players who seem to be a very entitled man utd type guys

Although he was always pretty horrible on the field even before Sandpapergate, far too much has been made about that incident given the tens of other cricketers that have been caught ball tampering and given the same slap on the wrist by ICC that Warner and co received. I was over that before it happened.

My concern with him has been his dreadful form in the red ball format - completely anti-clutch in that format, absolutely fucking useless overseas - and how he is just a general ordinary character both on the field and likely IRL.

It’s been pretty amusing this week getting to know more about his private life -something I didn’t want nor need. The story about him working with an agent to rewrite his story post-ban: being told to ditch his Bentley for a Toyota, changing his appearance on the field to be more of a goody-two-shoes, the potential that the ‘lost baggy green’ was completely orchestrated by him, talking on camera about how much the hat meant to him, how much he cherished it and how honoured he is to wear it as if to tell ordinary Australians how much cricket means to him and woe is him that such horrible thievery had to happen to him on his special day (that he had no right to call 7 months in advance btw) - but no, he had it all along…
If this week told the public anything its that Warner’s public persona since his return from the ban is entirely manufactured. The guy is a snake. The real Davey Warner was what was on display before (and during) that SA series.

Highlight has been seeing a 3/4 empty SCG over the 4 days. He means that much to all of us. Seeya cunt.

3 Likes

Eloquent GK. Not a compliment you’re used to getting, no doubt, but fair dinkum, or whatever :wink:

I think it’s with him being a horrible person. Really don’t care about sandpapergate.

People go on about Kohli being unlikable , and he is. But Warner really embodies the stereotypical cunt cricketer stereotype to a T.

He wouldn’t have made it as a cricketer in the 90s and the 2000s , it’s only when Australian pitches (becoming increasingly easier to bat on as time goes on) that’s led to someone like a Warnker being produced.

The other countries do have their tough wickets , but not so much for Australia. I suppose it’s to do with them being drop in wickets

Maybe with Pakistan the cautionary tale is the West Indies.

They seem to be heading that way.

Its a far cry from having bowling attacks with the calibre of Wasim / Waqar / Shoaib to now.

Their last real good bowler was Mohammed Asif and his career ended very badly.

In a lot of cases , the standard of cricketers produced depends on the investment made in the game. Looks like the Pakistanis took it for granted that they would always produce the talent and didn’t realise the game has changed to more of a nurture based system.

In addition, India has pretty much bought the iron, made the nails and driven them into the coffin that will hold Pakistani Cricket.

I assume you mean the IPL and the isolation of Pakistan cricket by India as such.

Which might be true , but Pakistan still has a sizable cricket watching population. It should be generating enough revenue but the board isn’t and that’s being seen in the standard of cricketers being produced.

It’s strange, unlike Bangladesh and Sri Lanka, Pakistan always thrived on the rivalry with India more than the game or it’s colonial alure. Without it, Pakistan seems to have lost interest and moved on. The younger generation are no longer attracted to it (at least from my distant perspective) as there isn’t the glitz, glamour associated with the IPL nor the historical rivalry.

Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis, Saqlain Mustaq and Mustaq Ahmed in the mid 90s they were deadly. Still my favourite touring side on Aussie soil (although others have been much stronger) as the variety and quality of these four meant a strong Australian batting line up never looked set.

The younger generation in India seem to be moving away from cricket as well. Atleast in the bigger metros , what India’s done well has been getting the game to the smaller towns. IPL has played a big part in that.

Cricket is marketed a lot in India. It’s not about that , in India atleast.

I think it’s more to do with the attention span that youngsters increasingly have. They have become used to this concept of instant gratification. Who’ll be watching a slow game like Cricket then ?

The game has been grown in India beyond the colonial/higher caste association, admittedly via the IPL and has found a second wind if you like. How long that can be sustained is up in the air. I completely lack any sort of insight into the fanbase of the IPL franchises… Is there a fanbase and how loyal is it. That potential fanbase, beyond anything else, could keep cricket alive in India. Without the IPL, it is entirely possible cricket will also die in India.

1 Like

It’s more difficult for fans to remain engaged with IPL teams (especially with the auction systems etc)

But , there have been rivalries developing and people in most states have become pretty invested in their team. Except perhaps Hyderabad cause our IPL team is crap.

Klassen retires from test cricket.

One more soulless mercenary.

1 Like

Who?

1 Like
1 Like