The Cricket Thread

That’s understandable, but, for example, New Zealand have continued to excel at test cricket even if their players have been involved in the IPL

2 Likes

I don’t think the likes of India, England and Australia have much of an excuse for being lacklustre in any format given the vast amount of resources at their disposal, especially compared to the NZ who at the moment compete at the very top end of every format. England are awful in test matches at the moment and Australia are equally as awful in T20s.

1 Like

Mate…it is gonna be a weapons-grade pantsing.

Exactly, and why would any aussie want to turn that opportunity down?

Fucking T20 has ruined the game. I seriously fear that Test Cricket will cease to exist in a decade or so.

2 Likes

Test cricket is the best of all formats of the game (imo), but the quality and passion for it has unfortunately waned over the last 10 years - albeit I think there’s been a bit of a resurgence the last 2 years. I don’t think it’s going anywhere anytime soon, as the purists will always ensure its got a place. Kohli gave an interview to Sky (aired yesterday) where he was talking about the importance of keeping the format alive.

A work colleague has two young sons (9 and 10) that play for Sussex, they love all formats, including tests, so not all youth are turned by the fun of T20.

The massive money in the IPL and other short formats (The 100) obviously draw a lot of decent players. I’ve been to a few T20 games (international and also county level), and it’s a lot of fun in terms of sitting and downing ales, eating massively overpriced burgers, however it’s all over too fast. Much prefer a full day of cricket, whether that be a 50 over game or a day at the test.

Hoping for a good batting performance from India today.

1 Like

Not sure what Broad offers anymore. Average bowling / crap bating. There are bender out there. One or two little spells but that’s all.

Anderson looking a little less potent these days too - even in swinging conditions.

You have to question if either would be a success in Australia.

I think what you get in terms of consistent pace/line/length/experuence during test spells will still be key for England (from Anderson and Broad). As with the previous test series (against India), I suspect during the Ashes, one or the other will start (in turns),and be supported by the younger, quicker, bowlers (Archer/Curran).

Have the Aussies got any particularly good bowlers at the moment?

Both will go but I would be surprised if they play together at any point. Anderson bowled pretty well in Australia the last time around but had little to no support from the other bowlers. The bowling attack they took for that series was clearly not even close to being suitable for Australian pitches. This time at least they have options like Archer, Wood, Stone and Mahmood to pick from. Getting them fit will be the issue.

and Sam Curran - really not sure why!!! He needs to find another 5mph to be viable. Gets the odd wicket but he is not a test bowler.

Wow I sound negative today.

1 Like

Like this Ollie guy but needs to come closer to the stumps to get the LBW into the equation.

India needs to get a move on now

Post Covid restrictions of not being able to use saliva to shine the ball hurting them i reckon.

Needs some height too i guess

And the breaking news is that Archer is going to miss the rest of this year. Huge blow to England’s chances of winning the T20 WC and the Ashes.

2 Likes

Jimmy vs Kohli, here we go.

Well that didn’t last long.

Yikes, ridiculous from Rahane. Somebody so experienced should not be getting run out like that.

2 Likes

That’s where Jimmy’s experience tells. Keeps calm, bangs in a lovely ball, Kohli out first ball. Big big wickets falling, England have a way back in.

The pitch suddenly looks pretty docile, or is it the bowlers???

England have called on their longest serving and top performer of all time, Rain Stopped-Play. Once again he’s coming to England’s rescue as he has so many times before. It remains to be seen whether he can produce the goods over the whole series, although the ECB’s decision to hold the series late in the summer may well play to his strengths.

3 Likes

Rain, Sun and Thunder and lightning are suggested for the last three days with only one session of play looking uninterrupted.

So might be ok in this one…

The pitch by and large seems a good batting wicket.

Indian bowlers bowled well and then threw away a good opening stand.

That was a wtf brainfade by rohit on the last over before lunch.

Kohli got a good one by Anderson

Rahane got himself run out which is a cardinal sin.

Pant falls by his own sword which is part of the course when he’s picked

Pujara , i doubt he will survive in these swinging conditions by pure grit. Runs are there to be made in this pitch despite the overcast conditions.

Still hope india get a 70 to 80 run lead

1 Like