The Cricket Thread

And Matty Parkinson too

Australia bowled out for 62

:joy::joy::joy:

This is going to be the state of Ashes…

Robin Smith & Merv Hughes: During 1989 Lords Test Hughes said to Smith after he played & missed: “You can’t fucking bat”.

Smith then smacked the next ball from Hughes to the boundary and said: “Hey Merv, we make a fine pair. I can’t fucking bat & you can’t fucking bowl.”

38 year old Dan Christian opening the batting for them sums it all up. What an absolute mess.

True story. Recent game I opened. Close fielders constantly remarked on my lack of ability and technique. “Fuck me your bowlers mush be shit then” after 15 over in the middle.

2 Likes

Looks like The Hundred format of the game could possibly be heading into the Olympics.

Very much hope that doesn’t happen. I always kinda felt like the Olympic Games should be seen as the pinnacle for the athletes competing at them. World Cups and winning certain series would be seen as bigger achievements. Likewise with men’s football, it seems like a bit of a pointless enterprise when so many other achievements in the sport trump winning a gold medal.

1 Like

Personally I’d put an Olympic gold above any other sporting award. Not so much for the team games obviously. You win gold in your sport and you are the best on the day on the planet.

I get where you’re coming from but when you consider some of the sports being added and taken away from the Olympics recently,i wouldn’t mind seeing the shorter format of cricket added myself.

I love the games but some of the newer sports were a complete waste of time and not really that exciting to watch,maybe it’s just my personal taste and blinkered view but the baseball just seemed like a couple of games of USA v Japan,Karate and Softball are other examples,basically sports played by a few countries and with the exception of baseball, not sports known for their big numbers of followers,atleast Cricket is played on 4 continents and watched by over a billion people.

1 Like

Sounds like Broad is out for the Lords test and Anderson is deemed as 50/50. Have to go back to 2007 to find the last home England test without either of them. Obviously no Woakes, Archer or Stokes either. Yikes.

Would guess Robinson and Wood are certs to play, and then you pick two from Overton, Curran and Mahmood. Sounds like Moeen is being recalled as well, presumably in place of Lawrence.

1 Like

Surely Ali as the all rounder and get rid of Curran. He offers very little in my eyes - under 80mph does not cut it.

I’m missing the mention of the 100?

T20 would easily fit in an Olympics schedule.

It was in discussion on Sky Sports News,not that article i posted,i guess T20 could be added aswell but The Hundred was mentioned as it’s a quicker and shorter version of the game.

Yes, T20 does drag on :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Probably pushing the 100 because they’ve been told to.

Really no reason to reduce it further than T20 and with the IPL what it is I doubt India would go for this English variant.

It’s got lucky because people have been stuck in their homes for a year (some people even went to watch county cricket earlier this year) Really no time for it frankly. What next T10? For those who really have the memory of a Goldfish.

1 Like

I’m not saying the T20 couldn’t be added,i’m just saying whats been mentioned by players and news shows.

I don’t think they’ve been told to push The Hundred,The Hundred has been mentioned because it’s the very shortest version of the game and probably the more exciting to watch by non-Cricketing fans,which is what it’s about having the rest of the world taking notice and trying to get more involved and wanting to watch it during an Olympics.

It’s already here

Yup thought it might.

I quite like T20, it’s my second preferred form of the game and getting cricket back on TV but not sure how the Hundred interacts with the “Tik Tik generation” and yet they will also binge watch a television series so if something interests someone it doesn’t need to be about 3 minutes long.

Anyhow not sure why I entered a rant

1 Like

T10 & hundred turn cricket into baseball. It will ruin the game.

Hameed plays! Looking forward to seeing how he does. Anderson fit as well, England will have to be careful of the workload they put on both he and Wood. In theory bats deep that side, in comparison India have a very long tail without Ashwin again.

1 Like