The Cricket Thread

A more balanced team this time around for England. Good toss to win for them.

India’s middle order is shaky and out of form.

:thinking:

1 Like

Good start for India.

1 Like

Yes. They have not bowled too badly. Pitch looks good.

Oh apart from Curran. 79mph pie throwing. Never a test player.

1 Like

I’d have bowled, perfect conditions seemingly. Amazing how quickly 110-0 can become 120-3 though. Come on Mo.

What a luxury having two openers who are both sound defensively and can score all around the wicket.

When you have three slips in place, your objective should be to make the batsman play, not allow him to leave the ball.

:roll_eyes:

bowl at the stumps should be the way to go on this wicket. The peach which got rohit sharma for example.

Just hit the top of off stump with the occasional yorker. Trouble is that doing it is rather difficult. My one fuller ball last night (shoulder high beamer) got hooked for 6. Easier said than done.

The field right now with 2 close in catchers on the leg side seems better…forces the bowler to bowl straighter at the batsman.

India will pile up 500. :roll_eyes:

Think Rohit didn’t use his feet well. Instead of the full face, the ball skidded of the bat. :thinking:

Think most the balls are few inches outside, it should be threatening the edge more.

Love Test Cricket. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

420-450 i’d say. Depends on the first session. If the current pair can add another 60-70 runs.

1 Like

Let’s put it this way I can’t see England bat beyond 300 and that’s being generous.

Been for my second vaccine today, how has the morning session been? On the face of it to me it looks like England have done better than I expected. Hopefully they run through this tail quickly now.

1 Like

Ravindra Jadeja. Magnificent player. Would have him in any team.

Did anyone see this on the BBC text?

How’s stat?!

Andy Zaltzman

Test Match Special statistician

Moeen Ali is just the sixth spinner to take 50 wickets in Tests against against India.

He averages 32 against India. In the last 50 years there are 18 spinners who have bowled 2,000 or more balls in Tests to India and only Derek Underwood has a better average. That puts Moeen above Muttiah Muralitharan, Shane Warne and Graeme Swann.

As a spinner I’d say he’s still pretty underrated, he’s been unfortunate that the ECB have had no fucking idea how to manage him (or any of our other spinners for that matter).

Impressive work finishing off the tail then, though they’ll have to get some extra practice in throwing at the stumps. Could have had Sharma or Jadeja ran out about five times there.

1 Like

Oh Hameed :disappointed_relieved: . Full ball that did absolutely nothing, must have been consumed by nerves.

1 Like

Root and Stevie G could swap a few stories

Root passes Gooch to become England’s 2nd all time leading test run scorer. Still a good 3000 odd runs behind Cook, reckon he’ll do well to surpass him. From those I’ve seen regularly in my lifetime I’d say only Pietersen stands above him in terms of talent, Cook will forever be my favourite though.

Root would need someone who can bat more than 50 with him.