The Cricket Thread

I’d say you’re out there. Same as trees on the outfield. But then I don’t make the rules…

scotland upset Bangladesh in the qualifying match.

I’m guessing that SL will get upset too , Bangladesh should qualify in the end though

Good batting performance from England in this practice match. Decent starts for all of them with Bairstow anchoring the majority of the innings well and Moeen finishing it off expertly. Will be interesting where they slot Morgan into this batting line up, on current form he doesn’t really deserve to be anywhere near the side but can’t see them doing a madness and dropping him. Could even bat as low as 7 given the form Moeen and Livingstone have been in.

They’ve followed it up with a pretty awful bowling and fielding performance.

all the case more for Kohli to be dropped fully , but guess that will never happen

Good outings for Buttler, Bairstow and Billings today for England. Morgan again looked short of form, even though he may have been unlucky to be given out. Possibly some more doubt creeping in with Malan as well, another slow start before getting out with a poor shot to a spinner.

Again, a real mixed bag with the ball from England. Should have wrapped that game much earlier than they did. Definitely much weaker than a number of other teams in that department.

1 Like

Wow, thought NZ were sunk at 103/9 needing 61 from 33 balls with 1 wicket left but now they just need 15 from 7 balls…

Edit:

Haha.

Claiming mockers for that one.

NZ finally bowled out for 150 with 4 balls left.

Great final effort by Sodhi and Astle. As usual, our death bowling is shit.

They have to play Mills and hope his body holds up for the majority of the tournament. He’s the only one there I’d have any faith in at the back end of an innings. Woakes and Willey are both far more effective at the start, Curran and Jordan are both shit whenever they bowl and Wood is probably somebody who you’d hope to use in the middle. Maybe even Rashid will have to be kept back for a few at the back end. Archer really is a massive miss in this regard.

Looking at all of the sides, I think India have to be the clear favourites. I’d fancy Pakistan to make it out of that group with them, they have a really good mix of options but as always you never really know what you’ll get. England should make it out of the other group, and then for me it’s a bit of a toss up between WI, Australia and SA. WI have a lot of pedigree and experience but have made a few strange omissions and in the field with an ageing team they might get found out a bit. Australia have been shocking in T20 for a while but still have some really quality individuals who can win games by themselves. SA are a little under the radar, a quality bowling attack and a few world class batsman but again, some strange omissions may cost them.

Might have a flutter on KL Rahul for the leading run scorer as well. Coming into the tournament in great form and will be opening for the favourites, seems like the obvious choice.

You assume Ireland should qualify against Namibia then again they looked a bit like a pub side today.

Haven’t a clue mind about the quality of Namibia cricket

They were an ok 1-day team years ago. I think a lot of that stemed from playing S.A and Zimbabwe regularly, although with Zimbabwes’ cricketing demise, they seem to have followed suit.

1 Like

Oman post 122 for Scotland to win and qualify

Slow start from Namibia’s openers, but I think Ireland might be a bit short here.

1 Like

Yeah Namibia did it.

Bit of a failure that from Ireland, they should really be winning that game. At least we’ll get to see a different team competing with the big boys now though.

I think that means both Bangladesh and Sri Lanka go into England’s group. Should still be comfortable favourites to get out of it but it’s pretty clear now which is the tougher group to be in.

1 Like

Is it going to be a continuation of the old series or a one off test ?

It will be a continuation, so India cannot claim that series win just yet :wink:

damn… almost reconciled myself to a series win…

1 Like

Mark Wood already falling apart before the tournament then :grimacing: . Decent looking side regardless, should be a good game this. A lot of power hitting in that WI line up.

Wow, hell of a bowling performance from England. More dot balls than runs conceded. Rashid 4 wickets for 2 runs, Jesus. Some great catching as well. Great chance to knock these off quickly now and get a massive boost to the net run rate.

Some soft dismissals here, England making a bit of a mess of what should have been a routine win.

I think once they set such a low target they were always going go for it for better or worse.

Yep, definitely the right move to promote the lads who can smash it from ball one, just didn’t really come off for any of them and I imagine other than Livingstone who fell to a great catch they’ll all be a bit gutted to have got out so softly. Bangladesh next on Wednesday for England.

1 Like