The Cricket Thread

Atrocious choice of bowling ends for the spinners in the early part of SL’s second innings and poor & far too frequent bowling changes by Root, including bowling himself and Lawrence as second and third off-spinners.
Surely what was needed from a mix-it-up part-time bowler was wrist spin. They practice all this stuff in the nets to give batsmen practice against leg break bowling. No earthly reason why the skipper couldn’t ask the practice leggie bowlers to offer their wares in the middle.
I know it’s humid but does Joe Root always have to captain in the field as though he’s suffering from heatstroke?

Both the Indian guys were new to test matches and to some extent international cricket. Its surprising that these guys scored 120 odd runs between them. Aus used to get the tail enders very fast and easy during Waugh/Pointing era.

1 Like

McGrath and Warne were deadly to the top order. To the lower order they, and Warne in particular, were nothing short of devastating.

2 Likes

Yeah true. MgGrath’s line and length. Warne’s spin. Quite deadly. Not possible to replace at all. Once in a century bowlers.

2 Likes

Aus favourites, but the weather may play a part. Really hope India can hang in there

2 Likes

Looking at the forecast for tomorrow, I think a draw is the likely result. A late start seems a strong possibility so could leave Aus with too much to do getting 10 wickets.

As much as i loathe IPL and T20, I do believe it has shown the indian domestic cricketers that there’s no “awe” factor to international cricket. Didn’t for a moment expect that the likes of Shardul and Washy would end up playing some gems here.

This has been a great comeback by India against quite a lot of big odds (Mainly due to Injuries and yes the 36 all out choke does have that) , but the performances since then (irrespective of what happens tomorrow) does show a lot of grit about the team.

2 Likes

I agree. I don’t see India winning. The Gabba is upto it’s usual tricks, the up and down bounce.

I’d want the Indians to go for the target in the first session atleast. Play the shots when the opportunity presents. If sharma and gill go quickly, buckle down and try to save the test.

Will be a cracker of a match if I wake up tomorrow and see India at 100/0 in the first session.

1 Like

I had to mute the commentary the old boys club kind of left me feeling a bit sick.

Can get that way with England at times but you always have certain types on TMS who can fill the void.

I only play at club level. Never met a bowler or batsman who can’t bowl spin in the nets. Some are surprisingly good too and this is 40 levels beneath test cricket.

2 Likes

India deserve a whole truckload of credit for this series. It’s been an eye-opener for me and an eye-shutter as I go to bed with it on the radio

1 Like

By that I presume that you mean everyone can send down a ball on a good line and length with some rotation?

It’s a while since I played but from my point of view if you were only an average spinner you’re going to get hit round the ground. I’ve seen lots of club cricketers who can apparently “turn their arm over” get absolutely mullered.

You did see the point where I mentioned 40 levels below test cricket? Good cricketers tend to be able to bat and bowl. At the top level, heavens… Root is your archetypal batsman who can turn his arm over a bit. There must be better in the squad.

Fundamentally, our game in England is geared around seam as that’s what suits the wickets. Plus bowling fast is far more fun (not that I’d know) so we’ll always have more strength there than spin. Our best spin bowler in the last 20 years (Swan) was great but only for a surprisingly short period of time and far more effective on tour than at home.

Sure, but it’s all relative. Lower order test batsmen will average 50 with the bat in club cricket, no problem. But they’ll average less than 20 in tests. Same with the ball, a test batsman may well be capable of sending down some decent deliveries for club level but they’ll get carted around the ground at Test level. There’s a huge difference between sending down a few probing deliveries in the nets and bowling out in the middle against Test batsmen.

The beauty of bowling over batting is that shit gets wickets. You can be a lucky shit bowler (hi) and do well. You can’t as a batsman.

1 Like

India making a go of it. Pujara is a warrior. Rahane out with a T20 shot.

Session to go (37 overs) and 145 runs. Could shape up to be a very interesting finish

Can’t see India winning to be honest, but as long as Pujara’s there they can save it

Part of that has to be with Paine not wanting to lose too. Very defensive field for what is Australia’s fortress

Uh oh! That’s bad news