The Cricket Thread

I’m not disagreeing. Just stating that ballance doesn’t need to be punished beyond overtly. The #CancelCulture and all.

The point I’m making is that the problem of racism is something which in entrenched within the population by and large (and goes across countries too)…

I would be hammering those people in positions of authority who stood by, failed to intervene, failed to educate, failed to simply say “that’s wrong”, at the very least acquiesced to this sort of hostile/offensive dressing room environment…by failing to act they have encouraged the belief in players that this sort of behaviour is acceptable. Of course, players need to be accountable for their own behaviour, but the issue for me is more institutional. More structural.

There’s a reason why this has happened, there’s a reason why players’ complaints have not been handled with appropriate seriousness, there’s a reason why the Executive Board of Yorkshire CCC felt they could dismiss the findings as ‘banter’, there’s a reason why players feel that this is something that they have to ‘accept’/‘tolerate’ just to get on in the game.

And that reason is that the executives, the administrators, the governing bodies, are full of fucking backward racist cunts or at the very least racism enablers, which makes them racist by default.

2 Likes

And I think football has made better strides at this than cricket… Probably would have been a different matter in the 80s etc , but it is what it is right now

And it clearly is a matter in Indian Cricket as well and in Indian society too (with other matters)

For me , One of my best friends when I was growing up in Singapore was a Pakistani, And he didn’t take it bad when I referred to him as Paki. The word in Urdu and Hindustani in itself means “Pure”. But that said , It’s become a derogative when it is being used in the UK and I can understand how it’s been termed as such.

And also what I will say is

Someone who’s 20 years of age might have had different world views than someone who’s 30… People change with age… I’ve said some objectionable things when I was 20 years old… and my world view etc etc has changed as I’ve grown older. Let people who’ve changed show that they’ve changed before vilifying them for something they’ve said a while back

1 Like

It’s not even a debate. It’s been a derogative term throughout my lifetime.

an Indian calling a Pakistani a “Paki” wasn’t ever a negative connotation… the connotation happened later when there was a migration to the UK by the asian’s post Indian / Pakistani independence

Yes, I do agree with this. It does depend on someone’s maturity and education. However, where either of these are lacking then the structures ought to be in place to educate and inform. That clearly hasn’t been the case in far too many areas of life.

Equally, all the people that Rafiq has been talking about were grown adults at the time. I think the ire directed towards Ollie Robinson was a bit disproportionate given his age at the time but the people named in the Leeds stuff…none of them have the age excuse.

1 Like

Yes, apologies - I meant that it has been considered a derogative term in the UK throughout my lifetime (so from the late 70s at least). It may have already been viewed as offensive before then too, I don’t know.

I’m pretty sure that Indians refer to Pakistani’s as “Paki’s” in short too… And it’s not being taken as a racist way. The use if as a racist slur in the UK did happen later and in a different context.

The closest I can imagine is black’s referring to other black’s as “n****ers”.

That said , I make it a point to avoid using that word.

same reason why I will have no sympathy for Vaughan

Who’d have thought Yorkshire was insitutionally full of racist cunts…

I’m afraid British people use(d) that word for anybody from South Asia - Indians and Sri Lankans too.

I am aware that the word is spread across to anyone who’s from a subcontinent region.

I’ve faced racism too when I was growing up in Singapore. And it’s a world wide problem. Just not sure how sanctions, fines & cancellations towards single persons be a problem when it’s a society issue.

Name the country and there will be a very sizable minority (if not majority) who will be closet racists.

How will #cancel protests etc even attempt to remove that ?

I think what this episode shows is this isn’t an issue of closeted racism. What that implies is a person who knows their views are unacceptable and so consciously makes effort to act and speak in an acceptable way. This is more a case of the dominant demographic being ignorant of the impact of the way outsiders are spoken about/to and treated.

1 Like

Lot of it has to be with the enablement of the institutions there

1 Like

It’s symbiotic, certainly

Sure, but not necessarily because people are cool with racism, but because institutions that are too homogenous (in this case white and establishment) tend to have misguided perspective of what should pass as unacceptable. This is where the issue of diversity in leadership roles really does play an important role.

1 Like