The Cricket Thread

It goes without saying that England will need to bat through tomorrow as well if they’re to get anything out of this game. They’re currently going at just over 3 an over, which is nice and steady considering the position they’re in. If they can get beyond Australia losing no more than 1 further wicket then hopefully they can start ticking that scoring rate up towards 4 during the course of tomorrow.

It will need at least one of Malan or Root to go big and we certainly don’t want to see wickets fall in clusters. One thing that encouraged me about England’s first innings is that Pope, Buttler and Woakes got starts. Pope, particularly, looked very good. It still looks like a pretty decent track so hopefully they can set Australia a reasonable target that they’ll need to get batting on a 5th day pitch. Still can’t see spin playing much of a role (stupid decision to go with Leach) but at least the pitch might starting going up and down a bit, which should make things fairly tasty.

1 Like

I’m off to the Gabba again in the morning. Could be another interesting day ahead in what has already been a good test match. Really enjoyed the contest so far and hope the series proves to be a memorable one.

5 Likes

It’s still 90% Australia.
England need 500+ and a much better bowling and fielding performance.

1 Like

Would love to be there mate, enjoy.

1 Like

Winviz has it as 75% Aus win, 24% Eng, 1% draw.

I’m better than Winviz :wink:

It’s just nice to see a bit of fight and hopefully they avoid and innings defeat (knowing this lot I’ve seen enough collapses to say that’s not a given).

I don’t see that big a collapse.

The wicket looks to be holding up well enough that there is no demons in it, so it would take a pretty spectacular collective brain fart from the England squad to collapse from here to an innings defeat

We’ve been there before :roll_eyes:

1 Like

The pitch doesn’t look like one that you can lose 8 wickets for 50 odd runs imo

This is England especially that new ball we’ve seen it before.

Rather the runs got put on the table before hypothesing them

1 Like

I’ve been watching England since the early seventies and I can assure you that you should never underestimate their capacity to collapse. Australia could still win by an innings. I hope they don’t, but don’t bet against it.

2 Likes

Aye, when the you in question England, anything is possible, on either end of the spectrum.

Absolutely no need to play that shot.

Darth Vader has done for Root. Again no need to play at it.

For fuck sake this is disbolical. Three wickets absolutely gifted away. So much for showing some fight.

:unamused:

Hate to be right some times

Can Stokes do a Botham?

He is the key.

Oops I meant Buttler.

Stokes made an absolute meal of that as well. Sigh.

Another gift given by Buttler. Bowlers might as well just have a slog now.

I have to hold my hands up and admit I was wrong.

PC has been a brilliant captain this test. Rotated the bowlers well and shared the load well which I thought he would struggle with

2 Likes

Very nearly correct. Shambolic batting soured a great day. I’d have been keen to see a bit more fight.

Still an enjoyable day, very happy crowd that would have liked to see another couple of hours cricket.

On to Adelaide, pink ball is a bit of a lottery ie new ball under lights is difficult to get in as a batter. Should be a ‘leveller’ in theory but Cummins, Hazlewood and Starc will be no picnic to face for England.

Crawley for Burns with Malan opening? Broad and Anderson for Wood and Leach?