The Cycling Thread

Banking on coming into form later in the race perhaps?

Was dropped too easily by Jonas. Think heā€™s undercooked. No one seems to be taking Hindley seriously. Will take a bit of catching!

Jai has this motherfucker in the bag!!!

That road they were coming down yesterday into Laruns is one we take regularly to go swimming in the reservoir at the top of the mountain. It is fucking dangerous in a car ā€¦ and they were coming down it at 100kmh ! :face_with_spiral_eyes:

Yeah agree, very easy but looking at the race profile thereā€™s still a couple of nasty moments on stages 17 and 20

The again Vinegaard is currently 2mins ahead of Super Jai today, now!

1 Like

Loving this Tour.

I cannot remember an edition with such dramatic oscillations within the first week.

2 Likes

Was a great stage yesterday. I still expect Pog will comfortably take GC.

Edit: didnā€™t see tonights stage or results honest haha. Typical Pog.

1 Like

In France itā€™s more dangerous going up hills as those coming down seem to have their heads in the passenger footwell for some odd reason. :rofl:

1 Like

I agree after yesterdays stage I thought Pog was dead and buried but today he demonstrated he is very much alive and a firm favourite to win this years tour

Some recoveryā€¦ itā€™s their ability to recover that gets me. Some ride.

Van Aert for example has ridden himself to a standstill 2 days running and will be strong again this AM. Nuts.

2 Likes

If you had a masseuse and dietician on call youā€™d be winning on Alpe dā€™Huez tooā€¦

1 Like

Er no. My recent cycling exploits laid to rest any suggestion of being decent on a bike.

But Iā€™m still hanging onto the thread that my bike is shite.

1 Like

N+1?

2 Likes

My wife just wonā€™t see that a new Time Scylon with all the bells and whistles will not only make me a better man, but also save our marriage.

1 Like

I came across these just yesterday: https://isenworkshop.com/

They just donā€™t get it.

The new kite surfing kite I tried and failed to sneak into the garage before anyone set eyes on it was met with similar disdain. The big picture of a kite on the side of the box rumbled me.

The boss just canā€™t see the increase in my awesomeness this last fortnight since the wind kicked back in. Honestly the effort I put in.

1 Like

:point_up: :point_up:

What do you currently ride?
When I first got into riding and quickly became semi addicted (aka 250-400km/week) I found that rewarding myself with a new bike each year just a little better than the last really helped solidify my sense of progress. The trick was starting cheap with an aluminum clunker with Tiagra groupset and by the time I was onto the respectable (in the bunch I rode with) Madone dura ace it felt like a cooler/faster piece of equipment than my (very early midlife crisis) 911carerra. Once you get up to top of the line kit the differences year to year become very small unless you are really riding huge kms and Iā€™ve now kept my current bike for 3 years now (admittedly Iā€™m riding much less lately and I did buy this one to get disc brakes).

I am getting frustrated, missing the televised Tour de France. Guess what my day off is rest day, at least I can sleep all day and night without feeling Iā€™m missing anything! :cry:
Next weekend then!

Current road machine is a Cannondale Synapse, 105 drivetrain.

The Cannondales are notorious for bottom-bracket issues, press-fit BB30. Last year I followed some internet advice and used Loctite after servicing the bearingsā€¦it did not go well, so I bought a Ceramic Speed adaptor for screw-fit bearings, and am about to put a full R7000 105 drivetrain on it, got it pretty cheap since that version has now been superseded. Just gotta find the time to do it!

The bike I actually ride the most at the momemt is my Giant Escape hybrid. I try to ride to work when Iā€™m in the office, three days a week, Shirley to Mile End. FMDā€¦London roads are just so harsh on a bike! The potholes, the grime, especially when it rainsā€¦just destroys a bike unless you take extra special care.

With our youngest now two Iā€™m hoping I can start riding more, maybe not as much as I used to right away, but start building back up to that.

2 Likes