The Rugby Union Thread

Yes, that is correct.

Are you saying Argentina is better than Ireland at rugby?

I think you’ll also find that England beat Argentina. The Argentina that beat Wales and is in the other semi final.

Absolute crap. They had just beaten the world champs in a very tight game, of course they celebrated. And of course they had the self belief - narrowly losing to NZ is hardly a shocking result.

3 Likes

Are you Irish by any chance?

The way they celebrated was for winning a 1/4 final or a semi. Not a group game. Imo.

Never see the Aussies, NZ, SA or dare I say it the auld enemy England celebrate a group game win with a lap of honour.

Have you looked at my bio on here, by any chance?
It’s objectively plain that this Irish side did not lack self belief. Ask across the spectrum of coaches, players, former players or experts and they’ll laugh at your ignorance.

That’s your opinion. That’s fine. No need to get shirty.

Calm Down Golden Girls GIF by TV Land

Farrell said he was ‘inmensly proud’. That’s the problem in my opinion. The AB, Aussie or SA coach would be getting fired.

Not getting shirty - just calling out your BS. And it’s not merely ‘my opinion’; only someone very ignorant about rugby would say that this Irish team celebrating beating the Boks and then losing to the ABs is due to ‘a lack of belief’.

It actually, literally is just your opinion, however much you shout it out.

Imo doing a lap of honour after winning a group game shows to me a lack of belief that you are actually the number 1 team in the world.

I never said they didn’t fight hard against NZ or that they didn’t play good rugby against them.

Ireland have never been beyond the quarters, ever in 10 world cups. That is a mentality problem.

NZ and SA have self belief + abilty in spades. So have the Aussies normally with 2 WC’s. That’s why both NZ and SA have 3 world cups. England have been to 4 finals winning 1 (if I’m not mistaken) imo in England’s case due to a strong mentality.

Anyway, you won’t agree so no biggie. Appreciate you calling out my BS.

Argentina Vs England final would be amusing simply due to this thread if nothing else.

Is this the competition for the most yellow and red cards? :grin:

I was rooting for Chile, I’m not very good at this sort of prediction thing (as you might have realised 1-1 what?).
Argentina Vs Chile was great though, Chile scored a try and from the noise I think even the Argentina sopporters were cheering. :joy:

Ahem… Patagonia B please.

1 Like

I don’t think that’s quite fair in this instance. This incarnation of the Irish side is the best they’ve ever been as far as I can remember. 4 years ago they were a semi final team at best, before that quarter finals was about their ceiling.

This time they just lost a game that they could have won on another day. That’s test rugby, that game was that close.

Similarly, France lost, but two different refereeing calls, one of which is a clear error, and they win that.

1 Like

Where’s that guy who was calling for the NH sweep?

Ireland have never been expected to go beyond the quarters before. Pathologizing this team’s exit because previous lesser versions of this team failed to overachieve is just pop psychology.

It takes me back to the people complaining about klopp celebrating a draw against West Brom.

3 Likes

Ok. So explain Argentina. Way superior record, but an inferior team.

KO rugby isn’t always the most predictable and to form thing. Ask New Zealand in 1999 and 2007. Hell even losing that semi 4 years ago to a much inferior team. Do we now have to explain that NZ are bottlers also?

1 Like

They were playing Wales who just finished 5th in 6 Nations.

You really think that Ireland, after winning grand slam, beating NZ twice in their own back yard, beating SA twice in past year, suddenly lost self-belief because previous teams hadn’t made it past QF?

We could have won on Friday night if Barrett hadn’t held that ball up. France could have beaten SA if decisions went their way. SA could have beaten Ireland in pool stage if they had a kicker. All fine margins

3 Likes

Well if you think 3 world cups is a team that lacks self belief then go ahead.

I didn’t call Ireland bottlers, I said they lack self belief or that little bit of arrogance needed at the very top level.

They’ve never been past the quarter fnals, ever. Argentina has a better record than Ireland, Scotland and Wales in the world cup. Obviously you need self belief + ability etc.

Just for clarity, I’m talking all the world cups not just this one.

England football team the epitomy of a lack of self belief, arrogance that you believe you belong at the top table. WHEN IT MATTERS.

I’ll refrain from that thanks because I think it’s a dumb frame work.

Noway do England lack arrogance anywhere, more arrogant than the French!
France haven’t won a Rugby World Cup so it’s surely because of that England top the arrogance league! :joy: