The Rugby Union Thread

Shame he looked good in shorts

Rees-Zammit has been listed as a receiver and running back I’m lead to believe. No surprise I guess.

Elsewhere I watched Scarlets vs Edinburgh last night. Scarlets are in trouble, they are honestly powder puff up front. Their forwards just don’t get across the gain line at all, and I’m not exaggerating. I don’t think they made any yards all night.

The backs look like they might have some hope though. There appears to be a couple decent ones in there with Jon Davies leading the way but also an interesting looking youngster who my ade more yards in 3 carries than the entire team before he came on.

Edinburgh to their credit looked pretty solid.

Immediate concerns here as the word leverage appears in the article.

1 Like

Leverage relationships is business yammer-jammer, like synergies and verticals. Doesn’t appear anywhere near a discussion of the financing structure or the club as an asset.

Quite, still I do think you’d have to be completely off your head to want to take on financial responsibility for a Welsh region. I can’t see any way you get a return on your investment. You basically have to be a fan with heaps of capital and be ready to open the wallet at any moment.

I think they’ll be straight with the region but that word always triggers nerves.

Overall though, to me this highlights a major issue with Welsh Rugby club management. This benefactor funding model has been going on for longer than I can remember and it’s ultimately lead clubs through boom bust cycles a plenty. It basically means that league structures are never stable and quickly become broken.

Seems to be a chronic problem in much of the rugby world. The Toronto Arrows collapsed this past Fall, Canada’s only professional rugby side (MLR). The president and general partner Bill Webb died, club was gone three months later. His family simply had no interest in continuing to funnel money into it.

Sad days.

My experience of it came many many moons ago when I played in what was known as Heinekan 5 (5th tier in Wales). We would get a cup draw against a Div. 7 side and get our asses handed to us. You then find out that the playing staff were being bank rolled by a sponsor but as a club they were stuck at that level as they couldn’t get promoted.

Similarly, one season we played Oakdale at the beginning of the season. We put 40 points on them. Soon after they started winning games all of sudden. In the return fixture we again got our asses handed to us by a “new” Oakdale side. I found out after they had poached the Pontypwl squad. They gained promotion 4 years running alongside Merthyr who similarly started winning games all of a sudden.

The players follow the money and with such a high density of clubs within some very small areas travel was never an issue. For example Oakdale exists a short hop from Newbridge, Cross Keys, Blackwood, and Pontypwl just over the hill. Newport is 10 miles or so away.

Did not see that beatdown coming. I suspect this cycle marks the end of Galthie’s time, this was a must-win with a massive advantage being at home. France had the inside track on a Six Nations win, and instead got thumped.

Why were they playing in Marseille?

Stade is getting made ready for the Olympics…

That was a proper thumping, credit to Ireland. Outside half concerns gone, while France looked completely disjointed.

1 Like

Ugly start for Wales :see_no_evil:

A generation of players ageing out or unfit, a lack of quality coming through to replace them, and not enough money in the game to keep the established players
Britney What Could Go Wrong GIF by Big Brother

Britney Spears GIF

That’s being kind. Hopeless springs to my mind.

No ball carriers along with a heap of other shite.

A bit of tackling wouldn’t be a bad idea either

A rolling maul? What is this? 1989?

WTF is happening!

I don’t know.

Shades of Barcelona here.

Now i know how Milan fans felt in 2005…