The Tennis Thread

Kyrgios is a total prick, but at least makes the games interesting. A bit of drama. My wife loves Wimbledon. It’s a long 2 weeks :sleeping:

1 Like

Todays matches have been very enjoyable. Shame about Sinner, think the fall threw him, but a very promising young player.

Norrie having an up and down match atm. Needs to settle himself.

Norrie through to the semis

2 Likes

Wheeww, lad.

Hmm Nadal Kyrgios. Should be tasty

Possible unpopular opinion: tennis should do away with injury timeouts.

If you were injured coming into the match, that’s on you.

If you get injured during the match, you decide whether you can play on or not.

No timeouts

Sick of seeing players abuse injury timeouts to ice opponents and then their injury miraculously gets better.

4 Likes

Yeah, I saw it earlier in the tournament when they guy had broke, injury time out, guy broke back and went through, if the other lad had served the set out it would have been stopped for the night so who knows what would have happened, I didn’t see him again though so I guess it didn’t help him much.

1 Like

Nadal and Djokovic are two of the greatest of all time. But they’ve certainly abused this facility over the years. Djokovic used to do it a lot early in his career.

Nadal said he had an abdominal/rib injury in his qf match vs Fritz. He goes off when Fritz is in the ascendancy. Then comes back and levels the set. He spends another set playing as if he can’t hit his two handed backhand. Then after the trainer treats him he starts hitting the backhand again. Not fair on the other player.

If you get injured, sorry it happened to you, decide if you want to play on or not.

If you came in with an injury, tough. Those are the breaks in pro sport.

It’s tantamount to cheating how injury timeouts are frequently used in tennis.

2 Likes

Or, keep the injury timeout. But if you take one then you have to forfeit your next service game, essentially give up a break of your serve.

Watch these injury timeouts requests magically disappear.

For the top players, then yes it would cut out the “cheating”.

For those struggling to survive on the circuit, some may push their body too far as the paycheck comes before the long term consequences.

Then again, for grand slams, many players will try to see if they can play through it, and then the frequency of match abandonments will likely increase. You pay a ticket, but end up not seeing a game.

Any sport where there is incentive to abuse the spirit of the rule, will be abused. Look at A Madrid in the last few years. Look at the “head injury” protocols.

No subs obviously in tennis. So it’s up to the game to get a right balance on player welfare and sportmanship.

1 Like

Fair points! Giving up a service break seems like a fair price to pay then. Currently there is no disincentive to abusing it

Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016

In this case fair enough. But he’s done it plenty of times in the past

First ever allowed interviews with tennis umpires, and the plight they face.

Come on Norrie!

(just so we can have Norrie and Dorrie… but also because it djoko)

A Novak vs Kygrios final in a grandslam with no ranking points. Just the final those 2 fuckheads deserve.

C’mon TIM

Let’s be fair, no tennis player’s first thought about any of the grand slams (least of all Wimbledon) is how many ranking points they’ll get. They’d play it for free if it meant becoming a grand slam champion

I’m actually mildly surprised Norrie even got a set off Djokovic

Absolutely tearing through Norries’s service games! :man_facepalming:t2: