The Tennis Thread

Plus apparently the women are playing with lighter balls. Seems odd.

1 Like

The minute I saw she was against Cornet I knew she’d be in trouble.

Hope she can take the lessons learned in terms of preparation and consistency and come back stronger.

1 Like

IMO everyone should play light balls. Light balls reward variety, net play and offensive tennis rather than just moonballing and ball bashing.

1 Like

Novok’s covid related absence means this spin hat we’ve finally had a real changing of the guard is not quite right, but it’s still startling to see this stat:

• the last time a grand slam reached the QFs without any of Serena, Fed, Rafa, or Djoko was 2003.
  • Men’s third seed Alcaraz was 3 months old at that time

Kyrgios played like a champion putting out Medvedev. If he keeps his head in straight (by no means an easy feat) then I don’t see anyone being able to live with that level of tennis this tournament.

I would say he is favourite for this now. With his form.

1 Like

His backhand returns off Medvedev’s big serves were ridiculous!!

Well I cursed that :rofl:

So Casper Ruud stands a great chance to become a World No.1 without winning anything above an ATP 250 title.

Men’s tennis will reach a new low if that happens.

2 Likes

Yeah it’s a bit bonkers right now. Nadal looks like in permanent decline, this (now) ridiculous vaccine ban keeping Djokovic out (if gut he’d wipe the floor with this lot). I was hoping Kyrgios would win but Khachanov massively raised his level.

But you play the system I guess and Ruud has done that. This used to be a problem in the women’s game.
Also Wimbledon this year has messed things up with points not being awarded

First time watching Alcaraz and Ruud. Terrific tennis. Ruud closing in on levelling the match by winning the second set. Ruud looks to be taking the game to Alcaraz at the moment, whose level has dropped in the last few games.

Wow, Alcaraz wins in 4 sets and becomes the youngest male no.1 in history. :clap:t3:

3 Likes

Congratulations to Carlos! Youngest ever world no 1

Roger Federer is retiring. My favourite of his generation in the men’s games.

3 Likes

Always was a class act was Roger.

Takes a special professional to carry on playing Tennis into his 40s.

For sure 1 of the first names you think of when it comes to the sport of Tennis & for sure 1 of the very best to have ever stepped foot on court.

3 Likes

My favourite as well. Kinda expected it given his knee injuries, still a bit sad not to see him at Wimbledon one last time. All the best to him

Class act, seems like a decent guy.

1 Like

Thank you Roger Federer, you will be sorely missed. What an elegant and graceful player he was.

This made me blub, i think many Tennis fans will be like this after seeing his last match.

5 Likes

Agree with Kyrgios on this

Kyrgios said: "In my opinion, I believe Roger is the greatest of all time. With his skill set, the way he plays the game, I think it’s pure.

"I actually think talent-wise Nadal and Djokovic aren’t even close to Roger. Talent-wise, just purely based on talent the way Federer plays, his hands, his serving, his volleys, untouchable.

"Roger’s chopped me a couple of times. Roger makes you feel like you’re really bad at tennis sometimes.

"He walks around, he flicks his head, and I’m, like, ‘I don’t even know what I’m doing out here.’ Roger is the greatest, for me.”

2 Likes

To me he is, he remained at the very top even with competition.

Him in the Sampras era would have destroyed the situation, he had Nadal and latter Djokovic to contend with as well as Murray.

It’s going be a very open era coming through, I do think Norrie may win one simply due to that open era but then who knows a 20 year old might blast through tomorrow and dominate. Djokovic will win a few more but he will start to feel Father Time.

2 Likes