The Tennis Thread

I was impressed with the Spanish kid who beat Casper Ruud in the US Open final, only 19 years old I think. Looked like he has both power and finesse. Maybe someone we could see in more major finals the coming years.

2 Likes

Same. Alcaraz is my new favourite

:disappointed:

All seems to have gone wrong for Radacanu after winning the US open…almost become the Naby Keita of the Tennis world…gotta be tough to take for someone so young.

I’d actually flip it and say Keita is the Raducanu of LFC.

Jesus that is some injury list. The wrist one is particularly worrying for a tennis player

For me it’s the hip, isn’t that the injury that Murray needed surgery on and ruined his career?

I know the wrist is the main part of the body for Tennis but the healing time to have a fully functioning hip again is much longer.

I was remembering what happened to Boris Becker, he pretty much had to retire a bit early due to his right wrist injury.

Yeah hip is bad too

The biggest damage is to her psyche and confidence in her body. Horrible for a young player to have to go through this, not to mention being sniped on by the likes of McEnroe and Piers fucking Morgan

2 Likes

I think Raducanu’s hip injury would be very different to Murrays.

His was a hip replacement from longterm wear and tear. If Raducanu is anywhere close to having similar issues at 20 and just starting her tennis career, then there is something seriously wrong with her body

1 Like

https://www.instagram.com/p/CnSHJx9Jw7Z/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Aussie Open has started, so I’m having my annual “Who the hell is that?” moment as I look at the seedings. Today’s surprise is Jessica Pegula - a 28 year old American and the 3 seed… someone I had no idea existed until 15 minutes ago.

1 Like

Women’s tennis is such a hard one to dominate. I think Serena Williams deserves credit because it’s not often you see that.

Men’s there is always 1 or 2 you expect to be there.

Wow! Andy Murray rolled back the years this morning! At times it was like the prime impregnable Murray! Almost had a tear in my eye thinking what could have been had he not been so plagued with injuries. Great win against a fit and firing Berrettini!

1 Like

The absolute mad man just did it again, won in 5 sets against Kokkanakis having been down 2-0.

Match ended at 4am local time!

2 Likes

Silly times these games are ending to be honest.

They were talking about the rain and heat we’ll start at 9.30am then.

1 Like

Aye just saw that, out of Wimbledon huge shame. Poor girl seems to have new injury right before or in the early stages of a tournament.

Cleary a very talented player, but amount of injuries shes picking up suggest she’ll be a what if. Hopefully she can overcome it as she plays a very entertaining style of tennis to match the ability shes shown

2 Likes

Which is quite odd because for all of my life it has been the opposite. Dont ask how I know this, but Hingis last lost her #1 in the world ranking sometime in 2001. By that time the world rankings had existed for a bit more than 25 years. In that time a collection of just 5 women (Evert, Navratilova, Graff, Seles, and Hingis) combined had held the #1 ranking between then for over 1300 weeks. That leaves only about 100 weeks in over 25 years for every other female tennis player to have been at #1.

In the ten years since you had a little less dominance of a singular person, but still a collection of big hitters who reached the top and stuck around for a while - Davenport, Henin, Clisters, Venus and Serena.

Serena’s peak seems to have ended around 2016 and since then all we’ve seen is a succession of women rise to the top and fall away, often without them doing much in the grandslams either. Something appears to have changed in women’s tennis that makes players today burn bright and quick, but I have no idea what it is

Hacking Work From Home GIF

Interesting just didn’t feel like that then again my knowledge interest started around 1998.

So good to see Sascha Zverev back at Roland Garros and playing well after the horror injury last year.

1 Like