The Tennis Thread

I’ve got a Chatrier ticket for the semis next week :grinning:. Two hours of clicking on the website for a resale. I could only get the Thursday so it’s the women and earplugs will be required to drown out all the screaming :hear_no_evil:

2 Likes

Carlito practically wiped the floor with Shapovalov tonight!

Would like to see him put the smackdown on Djokovic. They’re in the same side of the draw too.

I had a cracking day at the Women’s semis yesterday. Two great matches but why was the stadium so empty? I was two hours online trying to get my ticket

Wimbledon would have been full with barely an empty seat…

5 Likes

Probably because they give most of their tickets to sponsors who don’t actually care about tennis.

2 Likes

Yeah like Wembley with the playoffs that seating facing the cameras is universally empty and its depressing.

Desperately unlucky for Alcaraz. 1 set all and playing well with a lead in the third set…pulls something (calf from the look of trying to stretch it out) and that way that.

Edit: cramps apparently, not calf injury.

Anyone watching the french open final getting underway soon?

Kinda figured since football’s not for me anymore, I need some new sports to find to fill the time.

Players making their way onto the court now, nice to see a more or less packed out crowd.

Nar. It’s a year for pricks it seems and just like City yesterday I cannot bring myself to watch Djoko pick up another.

3 Likes

Not that I needed any confirmation that he is the GOAT and not that this will settle any GOAT debates but I’m so happy that Đoković won it. I’m still absolutely mad at his COVID vaccine stance, having received it myself (and it quite likely saved a few older members of my family) but he’s done incomparably more good than bad, especially in terms of charity work, so that gave him a lot of credit with me. Not that he should care!

He and Jokić are simply on another level in their respective sports and I wish more of my compatriots, especially the younger ones, looked after them in terms of work ethics, self-belief and being just ordinary people who can play ball with kids from their neighbourhood and not be entitled cunts who can’t move anywhere without a dozen bodyguards.

As a side note, he never hid the fact that his family originates from Montenegro, quite the opposite, so that’s another plus in my book!

1 Like

Can’t deny that he’s the GOAT. Each grand slam at least 3 times. No make player has done that before. Real shot at the calendar Grand Slam. Only player who can stop him imo is Alcaraz, as long as he can stay fit throughout the match.

Zverev has all the tools to do it as well…except belief in himself. He gets negative on himself too much.

23 grand slams and still had another few years left to go, it’s remarkable.

Straight sets too, expected it to go longer. Untouchable.

When you think Andy Murray is the best Britain has had in the last century, with only 3…it does put it into perspective the level he’s at.

It’s funny, because watching the first set, Nole seemed overwhelmed and Casper unbelievably good. And Nole still won the set.

Must be demoralizing for all players.

Fascinating… :+1:

Andy has all the talent, at his peak he can go toe to toe with Novak, but he’s not nearly as physically durable. Like our midfield

1 Like

He knew Ruud was playing above his normal level and that is impossible to sustain over three sets in a row, which is what he would need. Novak’s normal level is above anyone in the tour at the moment

You know if you lose that first set against Novak it’s pretty much done.

1 Like

Finally got the VPN working for Cachín vs Djoko on the BBC after 45 minutes of fucking around.

Don’t think I could stomach the ESPN feed much longer. “WHOPPER! WHOPPER! WHOPPER! WHOPPER!” every few minutes just doesn’t feel like Wimbledon.

Edit: Aaaand it’s raining.

Shame to see Venus struggling so bad today in the first round, could well be the last time we see her on court.

Quite a few upsets already, Dan Evans taking an absolutely pasting here…don’t think this new look is doing his any favours.

Are you sure you weren’t watching a Burger King ad?

Hell of a first set, shame it went against Murray.

The power Tsisipas generates on his forehand lashes are ridiculous.

Into the 2nd tie break we go, really fine margins separating them at the minute.

1 Like