The Tennis Thread

Chris Eubanks almost certainly can’t keep this standard of tennis up, but if he can…

3 Likes

Looks like he got tired at the end. Felt he really needed to win the fourth set tiebreak to clinch it. He’s to practice for the mental stamina needed for a grand slam 5 set quarterfinal. And he’s had a lot of tennis up until now.
But this should give him huge belief. He has all the weapons (huge serve, savage power from both wings, great movement, deft touch at the net) to be successful on any surface. He was averaging 81mph on his forehand! Jesus!!

Although I was hoping for Jabeur to win, happy for Vondrousova…double wrist surgery and dropped by her sponsors…and she wins Wimbledon. Good for her!

3 Likes

The only thing I will guarantee is that if Alcaraz gets on top a mistery injury will appear in the Djokovic camp and will disappear once he gets the upper hand again

2 Likes

And he wonders why he isn’t as popular as he thinks he should be.

Tsistipas also seems to need a long bathroom break after losing a set but never after winning one. Almost like clockwork. Funny that.

1 Like

This is going the 5 sets guys with at least 4 heading to tiebreaks. Strap yaselves in for 5 hours of rock hard tennis baby.

Alcaraz to win it via a cheeky drop shot.

3 Likes

Schitts Creek Hello GIF by CBC

I would still give the edge to Novak. Alcaraz is just 20. I recall a young Dkokovic losing his composure in big matches early in his career. He lost 6 semis and 2 finals before his breakthrough at the age of 24. Those early struggles make the run he’s been on since even more remarkable, especially given he spent a lot of those years playing against two other greats in their prime.

Novak looking good to win this first set, and very comfortably…sadly.

Would’ve been outrageous if the between the legs lob turned out to be in.

Finally punished for those half-an-hour serve preparations.

Vamos!

That was high-level stuff and game on now.

Alcaraz has woken up, thankfully. Good tennis now. Could be in for a long one.

Alcaraz has cut out all the sloppy unforced errors that cost him in the first and you can see he’s added that extra zip to his shots.

1 Like

How longs this game been going on, 9th deuce!! :astonished:

This is madness.

That game and that set took the starch out of Djokovic. The 20-year-old looks pretty fresh.

I bloody hope so

1 Like

Long been amazed by the way momentum can shift so dramatically in tennis. Half an hour ago I’d have said Alcaraz was nailed on to win in 4, Djokovic looked spent.

Now if pushed I’d say this is Djokovic’s to lose in the 5th, he looks a completely different player.

He was talking a bit before the final about how he relies on his experience to get through finals, I wonder how much of the 3rd set was planned…to take half a set off and regroup as he’s shown this Wimbledon he can battle hard through 5 as we saw against Hurkash last week.

Maybe after that 26-minute game, but at that point he was certainly giving it everything to win.