The Tennis Thread

Lol now suddenly Alcaraz looks unbeatable again. Great final.

1 Like

Novak, Novak Novak…behave yaself. Don’t wanna see that.

I dunno how long he has left at the top (looks like he could go on for at least another 5 years), but it’s hard to see anyone dethroning Alcaraz once his time nears to an end.

Federer once looked invincible, too. Then came Rafa and Novak.

Alcaraz let Djokovic back in the match with poor serving. That last service match was his first easy hold in a while. What a break point that was at 1-1.

2 Likes

Alcaraz. :clap: :clap:

A truly brilliant final.

3 Likes

Mostly correct, this. Lots of cheeky drop shots.

Well deserved, well played that lad

3 Likes

Wasn’t looking at all likely after that first was it.

Remarkable drive, phenominal player.

Onto the US open in a few weeks then, wonder if we’ll see Nadal/Radacanu back for that 1? Hopefully it will be shown again on prime.

2 Likes

I’m not a Novak fan, but he’s some player. The way he fought back. Some of those return games in the fourth and fifth sets. To have more major victories than either Rafa or Federer, and he sat out last year’s Aussie and US Opens, in which he would have been favored to win.

That’s a lot of moxie for a twenty-year-old to take him down.

4 Likes

Well done Carlos Alcaraz, well deserved!

3 Likes

Still waiting for the injury to come.

1 Like

I don’t watch tennis very often, but that was a good match! Congrats to Alcaraz for keeping his nerves and in the end, displaying his superior potential, which is frightening to be honest. To think that this is his first serious season on grass, and he already holds the Wimbledon trophy. Wow, talk about an irreal capacity to adapt to new surfaces!..

Congrats to Novak too. I don’t like him very much overall, but what a player he is, and at 36, he looked like a fresh rose during that fourth set and destroyed Alcaraz on a physical level. Very impressive. Maybe age finally caught up with him during the fifth, I dunno, but Alcaraz found back his legs and his best tennis too, and there were some superb exchanges between the two.

When tennis is like that, it’s a good sport to watch! :+1:

3 Likes

TBF he did take a 10-minute bathroom break after losing the third…

1 Like

Alcaraz is just brilliant. His defensive game rivals Djokovic, he has the biggest forehand you’ll see, hits the best drop shots and his touch at the net is sublime. What an incredible player.

Tennis needed a new star after the retirement of Federer and Nadal (soon), and Djokovic in the next couple of years. Alcaraz is on that level. Good for the game for him to win today.

5 Likes

It could have happened when he destroyed his racket in rage

He’s my new favourite after Fed retired. All that touch at the net, a 130mph serve, a 100mph forehand :exploding_head:, quick as a cat and can go for days. And possibly his greatest attribute of all: he can figure out the opponent’s weaknesses mid-match and adjust accordingly. The speed at which he acclimatised to grass (which is the toughest surface to get used to if you haven’t grown up on it ) is truly astounding. He said “I’m a fast learner”…he is actually a super-fast learner.

1 Like

Did he have too much strawberries and cream?

1 Like

Alcaraz is 20 years old, isn’t he? For perspective, Federer won his first Wimbledon trophy when 22 years old, and Djokovic 24…

2 Likes

Alcaraz is the third-youngest Wimbledon champ after Becker and Borg.

1 Like

Only thing that’ll hold him back are injuries. He’s top class no doubt. I don’t see anyone else good enough. He’ll have a free hit for a while. Not like Fed, Nadal and the Djoker. They also had players like Murray, Del Potro and Wawrinka who were excellent. Del Potro would have won more were it not for constant injuries.

2 Likes

Yup. In a way the generation between the Great 3 and Carlito were stunted, not due to lack of talent, but lack of success that would breed confidence leading to further self belief and growth. Starting with the likes of Dimitrov (Baby Fed is a tough nickname to live up to) then Domic Thiem (although he has won one grand slam) and to an extent Daniil Medvedev, Casper Ruud, Stefanos Tsitsipas, Andrey Rublev, Alexander Zverev. The aforementioned 5 have only won one grand slam among them.
Alcaraz had that early Madrid Open victory and has built on it. He is undoubtedly more physically and technically gifted and mentally/tactically astute than his immediate predecessors and his age peer Rune. Djokovic actually said what I’ve been thinking, that Alcaraz is like the best attributes of Federer, Nadal, Djokovic rolled into one…but his successes before this Wimbledon has allowed him to believe in himself. Without that he doesn’t beat Novak. Now Djokovic will find things even harder when they face each other next

1 Like