The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 1)

Barnes is on left side, though, and we lack a Mane cover/understudy/successor.

So a nominal fee? Maybe 3 to 5M?
What about Keitaā€¦we paid 52M for him I think, how much do we get for him and given his fitness record who is going to pay it?
Firmino might have been of interest to the Spanish giants before his loss of form and now that both are in serious financial difficulties Iā€™d be surprised if either are willing to part with big a fee.
Maybe the one good thing to come out of Covid could be a chance for football to press the reset button and get fees and wages back to more sustainable levels.
I think we will see more loans, swaps and part exchange of players rather than flat out huge fees.
Anyone counting on wholesale changes in the squad this summer is going to be disappointed.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not trying to pick a row with you, just interested to see what sort of money you think the club can generate from the sales of those players? Put numbers on them :smile:

How much is a half price pack of Skips?

1 Like

I posted mine after you did but didnā€™t see yours. Scary.

1 Like

Therein lies the issue. Itā€™s all well and good saying sell these players and buy new ones. Everyone is smashed, Covid has broken football financially and only the TV money and sponsorship is keeping the game afloat but somehow we will generate the cash for new signings by selling injured crocks to clubs who donā€™t have a pot to piss in.

3 Likes

Heā€™s a good player no doubt, think Jota can do a job on the left if, not across the front line.

Just like Neto as a player, another versatile player to give us that quality depth.

If any player moves in the summer from a PL club to a PL club for more than Ā£20m straight cash, Iā€™ll send Ā£10 to Cancer Research UK.

Keita, Ox, Origi and Matip have the current combined value of the content of my manā€™s drawer. 3 screwdrivers, mixed cables, cupboard hinges, flat batteries, drawing pins, keys for former houses, an empty candle lighter and 37 tools for assembling IKEA furniture that were obsolete in 2001. My knife block is worth more than Origi and itā€™s blunt as fuck too.

6 Likes

IMO Jota could be shaped into a CF, so that we donā€™t have to buy Haaland (even more expensive than Barnes).

Jota is one of the few reasons we have to be football optimistic right now.

3 Likes

With the way things are going to be Iā€™ll be shocked if we do any recruitment from the Premier League.

I also donā€™t think we have to.

Even if we want full squad allocation available to us (not a certainty with Klopp or with under 21s like Jones that are part of the senior squad already) we can do it.

The 4 club developed slots can be filled by Gomez, Trent and Kelleher who wonā€™t be going anywhere and one of Wilson, Ojo or Grabara (my choice would be Wilson if we set up in right formation next season to make use of him, which is something Iā€™d be looking to do anyway). So maybe Kelleher, Gomez, Alexander-Arnold and Wilson for those 4 spots.

The 4 ā€œhomegrownā€ slots can easily be filled too as we will almost certainly have Henderson and Milner again next season and could keep either or bot of Davies and Ox, possibly even Phillips. Most likely to me that we will pick up a veteran ā€œhome grownā€ Keeper to be 3rd choice on a free or tiny fee and keep Davies. So something like Ruddy, Davies, Milner and Henderson for those 4 slots.

That will leave 17 other slots that can be used for any senior player or under 21 player who has been at the club for less than 2 years. 16 if Ox is still around to take that slot.

So I donā€™t think we need to do any of our probably limited shopping in the ultra expensive Premier League and doubt we would be able to afford it.

I could make arguments for up to 7 players needing to come in but probably 3 minimum being needed and maybe 5 being realistic.

Personally Iā€™d love to see us go to a formation that can swap from 3412 to 4222 (and even 3421, 4231 and 433) easily.

Alisson; Alexander-Arnold, VvD, Gomez/ Kabak/ New CB, Robertson; Henderson, Thiago; New AM, Jones/Minamino; Salah, Mane/Jota.

Kelleher; Williams, Gomez/ Kabak/ New CB/ Davies x2, Tsimikas; Fabinho, New CM; Jones/Minamino, Wilson/Elliott; Jota/Mane, New CF.
Plus New 3rd GK, New CB/Davies, Milner, Elliott/Wilson.

So in total thatā€™s;
3rd Choice GK. 2 New CBs of which at least one should be good enough to start (one of these would be Kabak if he convinces enough), a new young CM to initially come in as back up/an option but with potential to be a future starter, an AM good enough to compete for a starting role and a traditional CF type to use in certain games.

6 players, one of which may already be here on loan and only 2 for starting roles.

2 Likes

Yep definitely has an eye for goal, has the movement and is clinical, but think we need a traditional 9 who is a bit more direct than what we have.

The Oil clubs could still spend cash, the Chavs and Cheaty. Everton too maybe? Depends on how much the owners are prepared to put into the coffers by whatever means necessary to keep them below the FFP thresholds (which mean fuck all anyway when it comes to it)
From our own point of view Iā€™d imagine Origi, Matip and Ox would generate nominal fees. What club is paying a fee for Ox and giving him 100K a week?
Maybe Grujic could generate some cash from a German club but another loan might be the extent of it.
Keita? we probably cannot afford to take a huge loss on him so I expect he will be kept on.

According to Canal+ France: Lille is in an agreement with a European top club about the transfer of Sven Botman this summer. The rumour is that is Liverpool.

Transfer fee: ā‚¬ 45m.

1 Like

4.5m for next 10 years maybe. :joy:

2 Likes

Is he quick? This Kabak fella and the other guy we were linked with in Jan dont look blessed with pace.

Jokes aside.
Dembele joined Barca 4,5 years ago and yesterday he reached his 100th appearance for them which means they have to pay Dortmund another ā‚¬5m.

Donā€™t want us to become such a club.

6 Likes

Seen somewhere that the cuntalans wonā€™t pick back ache coutinho to delay giving us more dosh.

5 Likes

Zero chance thatā€™s us. And Iā€™m stunned at that price for Botman. I like the player and Iā€™d never want LFC to pay that fee. Much better proven options for similar or slightly higher money.

1 Like

Kind of have the feeling we are more interested in Renato Sanchez than in Botman.

1 Like