The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 1)

I think; well, I’m pretty sure, Matip will be staying.

Firstly because we will overcompensate for this season’s debacle by having five CB; Gomez, Matip & a new CB will compete for regular places alongside VVD while providing cover for injuries/fatigue and Davies will the Nat Philips, a low-cost option for extremity.

Secondly, there are very few clubs who can pay his considerable wages and yet be happy without his season-long contributions. Although, I suspect his fitness will improve if he isn’t playing in Premier League.

I think only Shaqiri will/can be moved on.

1 Like

Virgil, Gomez, Kabak/other, Davies.

I do think 4 centre half’s are enough for next season with Fabinho just incase. Surely we can’t have another injury crisis again. Matip is our 2nd best centre half in my opinion but I don’t think he’s ever gone 6 games in a row. Surely Bournemouth and Southampton might give us 20 for him. Sure we could be spending that on Kabak anyways who isn’t as good as Matip. Personally I think we could find a suitor for a okayish price

1. Where would they get that kind of money?
  2. Why would they pay that kind of money?
1 Like

Havent they been paying us for Taki 500k a month he’s there. Surely they can afford to make it permanent if he does well. Don’t think they loaned him for the craic, sure didn’t they want it to be permanent but Liverpool wouldn’t have it. Bournemouth probably not just a reference to their willingness for our weaker players.

1 Like

Really! Are you sure!!! There’s a loan fee, may be; but 500K/month seem too steep. Even then, 20 mil for a player almost perennially injured is luxury for these clubs.

I’m not sure dont take my word because I’m scared I’m wrong :joy: I thought I remember reading 500k somewhere. Then again he’s only there for like 4/5 months which is 2/2.5 million and we are paying similar for Kabak for his loan so it might be a realistic fee

1 Like

Saints pay his wages and a fee that can raise up to £500k.

2 Likes

Final loan fee depends on how many minutes he plays.

1 Like

I know, we need 4 CB’s and an improved/more fit partner for Virgil. But I think you’re optimistic about finding such a buyer for Matip this summer.

2 Likes

I’m with @Zoran on Matip issues, I think we’ll see him relegated to the status of a luxury player and another CB coming in this summer. Normally, it’s not what Klopp and Edwards would do but all three centre backs have had season ending injuries, who knows if they can come back and play regularly without any niggles. I don’t expect another Van Dijk but another Gomez, only one with much better fitness record, would be great.

3 Likes

Haaland clause doesn’t kick in until summer 2022. Dortmund have a decision to make, as he is already worth more than his clause. Keep the player, take an easy €75M summer 2022. Or sell the player this summer, and with the list of team interested, you would have to think the fee will be much higher than the release clause.

The idea that we could buy him this summer for the release clause price is a non starter. Also, while I haven’t got a clue how much Firmino would be sold for, if we did sell, I would imagine it won’t be as much as we would expect. At that point it might be better to keep him, as his ‘decline’ won’t be precipitous, as he was never an out and out goal scorer, nor a speed merchant, nor a strong brute. In other words, he should be able to stay near-ish to his peak for years to come.

If we need to generate cash to buy Haaland, selling Mo would be where real cash is realized. And even then, the list of suitors is minimal. But let’s imagine Real Madrid sign Mbappe. PSG now need a goal scorer. Maybe they go for Harry Kane. Poch likes him. Or maybe it is Mo.

I’m not pushing Mo out the door, just imagining a scenario where we might generate the money to sign Haaland, and if we did, we would get a goal scorer, like Mo, only a different style, and one with many more years on the clock.

Haaland
Mane
Jota
Firmino
Elliot

It’s a good group. Maybe the next evolution would be changing Mane, but I wouldn’t advocate both our wide forwards moving at once as that would be way too risky, so that can wait.

1 Like

Have we anything to lose by offering Keita as a bargaining tool in any player exchange/purchase…
Not as though whatever guy comes in is going to be as unlucky as Keita in the injury or ‘can’t be arsed’ mindset is he

1 Like

Depends how much we are paying on top of the fee.

Love the idea of signing some big names but I feel we are more likely in the market for players who belong to teams who have to sell at a cut price.

I’m not doubt we may make a purchase or two and I have no doubt they will help us but getting 50m for Firmino is fanciful, if he was worth 50m in this market then we wouldn’t be selling him.

2 Likes

I don’t think we will sell Matip unless a bid of around 15mil comes in which is almost impossible considering the injuries and pandemic but stranger transfers have happened. I think for CB, its either Kabak or someone else coming in and Philips is the one probably looking to move on or at least easier to move on to mid PL or Championship clubs. Rhys might leave on loan or permanently if there is a good offer.

1 Like

Matip came from Schalke, didn’t he? I wonder if we decided to make Kabak’s move permanent they’d consider a player + cash offer, something like Matip + £5m?

2 Likes

Ehm they are about to get relegated.

2 Likes

I think we might recoup more of our losses, if we offer him up for ‘medical research’.

6 Likes

Hm… forgot about that part :joy:

3 Likes
3 Likes

Have you noticed how most the rumors are around players from German League? As if there isn’t any player in other leagues who is suitable for us. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes