The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 1)

You can only use the £500 a month towards something else if you continue to have that £500 a month coming in - and that is the point I have been trying to make - That does not appear to be the case here as that money wasn’t a recurring profit from operations but one off payments from the sales of players, that has also gone towards work on the stadium & training ground and paying down some of the club’s debt.

In the 2018/19 accounts as they are the last published ones we have for the club, LFC made an operating profit of about £1m. In each of the two years before this it’s operating profit was £7m. I don’t see this improving much if at all in 2019/2020 or 2020/2021. Therefore, all other expenditure has to be financed either through borrowing, playing sales or an injection of cash by the owners.

(Swiss Ramble expects the club to report an operating profit for 2019/20 of around £10m and make an additional £26m profit from transfers. 2020/21 he believes revenues will be down by £100m-£130m - and this short fall won’t have been made up for by player sales this season this year as we have committed to spending £88m and sold around £52m worth of registrations - I don’t know how much we are receiving on top of this from loan deals).

No it’s not. 2017/18s spending of £156m was offset by sales of £175m. That would have effected 17/18, 18/19 and 19/20.

2018/19s spending of £164m was only offset by £37m of sales and would have been paid over 18/19, 19/20 and 20/21.

Both those years spending will now be done and our outgoing cash payments will have dropped significantly for this next financial year.

Edit; Also import to remember this summers spending will be the 2021/22 accounts and the talk of the FSG buy in is that LFC will now no longer need to recover losses from 2020/21.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvVoI01hzcU

Seen this lad linked somewhere. Passes the youtube test. Same stats as Elliot this season too, albeit in a few more minutes.

3 Likes

The report I saw linking him to us said he has a £8mil release clause I think. Looks a top talent, especially for that money. Not many similar players in our u21/18s.

3 Likes

“Could #LFC invest more money in the transfer market? Yes, but they would probably have to “sell to buy”, unless they changed their business model, which would require increasing debt (either via an external loan or an injection from the owners).”

From the penultimate post on the Swiss Ramble Twitter thread about our finances. If you’re using his research as the basis of your argument it seems odd to come to a wildly different conclusion about what that means for our spending power this summer.

3 Likes

We have to sell for other reasons than cash. Wage bill will need dropping down to make room for others. Squad roster is full and far more stacked than Klopp likes. Amortisation MAY need dropping down or we will be declaring losses (trying to avoid that argument). And even if I am right about the cashflow being there for Mbappe or similar we would still need to raise more from sales to address our other issues.

1 Like

FSG wont change their model, like always we will need to move on the fringe players who aren’t making big contributions and use that to offset incomings.

Keita, AOC, Matip, Gomez and several others will go if fit and the right offer is received and we will promote a few kids Elliott will be in the senior squad next season without a doubt. Grujic returns to possibly cover the Gini gap without having to buy.

I think we’ll buy no doubt think Kabak and Konate are both added to our defence. Beyond that it depends who leaves up top. I doubt we spend any real money up top unless one of our front 3 leaves. We already have Jota not starting and I think we need to see how the team goes when we get Fabs and Hendo back in CM fulltime. Can honestly see us bot buying any first team attackers at all. Think Klopp will want ti give them a chance at redemption.

VvD, Konate, Kabak, Gomez, Matip.

Cash in on Nat Phillips. Many PL teams should be interested after his games for us. At least £20m

Would also sell Minamino. Can see Saints paying £20m for him.

Should also be able to get at least £12m for Shaqiri.

£20m for Nat? I hope you’re joking.

:joy:

4 Likes

He is English - don’t you know that this used to be a quality feature :wink:

3 Likes

The way Edwards and co. conducted themselves over Ejaria transfer, I think that Reading will be more than happy to return the favour should they want to pursue a deal for this lad. I’ve never seen him play, there was a link that emerged a few days back, Eurosport, I think - while I respect Eurosport having grown up watching it (and I still watch it), I’m not sure if their football transfer sources are credible enough, though.

For what it’s worth, they claimed that half of Bundesliga were interested in him. If Bayern can buy a fullback from Reading, I’ll most certainly pay attention to their up-and-coming talent.

4 Likes

But also, the cash is very much a key factor. We could sign three bosmans and still need to clear wages and squad space. But if we want to spend more on transfers than we have been, we need to sell to raise the funds as we did previously.

2 Likes

I think after the season he has had, in a normal window, he could easily go for £15-20M.

But the problem is going to be, if we try to sell him, what state will other clubs finances be in and what will that do to transfer prices?

2 Likes

He’s 24, played 12 games so far for us (35 in his whole career) and will have a year left on his deal. I wouldn’t expect nowhere near a fee like that.

2 Likes

But he is English, so automatically raises his price above that of a foreign player of similar experience and level.

2 Likes

I don’t know, I think that gets overrated sometimes. We’re talking about an English player, okay, but he’s no internatinal and never was. I don’t have such high hopes for such a fee. Would be amazing if it happens, but I don’t expect it.

2 Likes

He also has international experience after playing in Germany :joy:

The English Gerard Pique. :see_no_evil:

6 Likes

I would be happy with £10m or even £8m plus some add-ons.

1 Like

He signed a “long term” contract before going on loan to Stuttgart in 2019. In my mind that would mean a 4 or 5 year deal, so 2023 at the earliest. His agency recently confirmed it doesn’t run out this summer but didn’t specify how long was left.

2 Likes

Hope we keep Nat tbh he’s proven very useful of late and you can see his confidence is raising with each game he plays.

I’d be keeping him unless we get offered 12 or more unless be says he absolutely wants first team football elsewhere. We won’t stand in his way then I’d think.

I’d have Davies and Williams on the block well in front of Nat. In fact i’d have alot of our fringe players ahead of him in the shop window.

3 Likes