The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 1)

They aren’t on a huge wage, Matip and AOC are. Shaqiri is quite saleable; though he played rarely, he was pretty good when he played for club or country. Origi and Grujic may well prove to be Edwards’s kryptonite.

2 Likes

This is an example of the problem I was getting at, well one example at least. Dead wood is likely to become even deader (if you get my meaning). Matip, Origi, AOC, if there are ambitions to move them on would be awkward at best. There’s no way they get offered the same wages but I also feel that given fitness or performance concerns teams are going to be less willing to take a gamble. They may as well stay put from a financial stand point.

Similarly, if there are players trying to force a move they may need to compromise on any wage demands or the other aspects of “normal” contract that they may be expecting.

1 Like

Depending on how much you trust the internet, Origi is supposedly on about £60k and Shaqiri £80k. Not huge for us or the top sides on the continent but for context that would put them amongst the top earners at the likes of Wolves or Newcastle.

You’d imagine both would be on taking a step down from us with any move so neither are off to a Bayern, PSG or Juve so someone is going to have to be dead keen to put them amongst their highest earners and to pay what Edwards Jedi mind tricks them into paying as a transfer fee.

I could well be wrong but maybe this is the summer we just finally decide to compromise on fees and supplement some wages just to get players off the books and some cash back in for them. Disappointingly I think we should have done that with a couple last summer when we were rumoured to have had decent offers for Wilson and Grujic but lets see how we go this summer.

4 Likes

Yes, it’s potentially a problem for clubs like us trying to move on fringe players, but I don’t think it is as big a problem for those players looking to move to the PL from outside of it.

1 Like

This has been my guess/hope for awhile. Some fee for Grujic for instance is better than no fee for Grujic whilst he’s sitting somewhere else on loan. These players values are only going to drop down the closer they get to the end of their contracts. Better to cash in for what they can get now.

2 Likes

I think it’s an existing problem that only becomes more acute. With teams possible looking to reduce squad sizes having dead wood on the roster becomes more problematic. Less fat to play with now I guess.

You are right. What seems decent to us is pretty steep for most of the clubs.

Still, I will argue that Shaqiri will have suitors due to his experiences and recent performances. I think he is an attractive depth/rotation for clubs like Milan, Inter etc. Even Origi would have had suitor if he moved around a bit during the 500+ mins he played for us.

1 Like

Wouldn’t write off Grujic - under Klopp you never know.

We will be without Gini and very likely without Shaqiri. Maybe we get the chance to sign and more attacking midfielder and then decide to keep Grujic.

One thing I would never do is to judge him based on the playing minutes he gets at Porto.

The player is certainly talented and has a high potential.

Wonder if anyone would dare to say ‘the CB Nat Phillips is better than the CM Grujic’ :joy:

4 Likes

Keita
Kabak
Karius
Klavan
Matip
Manninger
Thiago

Anyone feel we shouldn’t sign anymore from German League?
Italian League on the hand…

Alisson
Salah

Yes, of course. Other than Keita, we haven’t spent that much on the signings. Kabak and Thiago are doing well. Matip and keita have too but disrupted much more by injuries.

4 Likes

Bobby is also a flop we signed from the Bundesliga :zipper_mouth_face:

6 Likes

For fuck sake.

4 Likes

Also …
King Klavan is a Liverpool Club Legend.

7 Likes

Karl Heinz Reidle, what a player, no more to say.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’ve been thinking this too. He would be an ideal back up at CM and CB. In effect we’ve already bought Gini’s replacement in Thiago and Jones can also play in position Gini currently occupies.

So that’s some money saved that we can spend on that young lad from Paris.

Notification on my phone popped up, “Liverpool could make it hard for Arsenal to keep Odegaard.”

I saw Klopp chattin him up after the game on saturday. Love some unreliable rumors.

2 Likes

Unreliable rumours on Teun Koopmeiners. Captain of AZ, broke into national team, had a good season, played CB, holding midfield, or slightly further up in central 2, so sounds like a good Gini replacement if he leaves.

Sounds more a likely Liverpool or Klopp signing, not necessarily this player but the type and the lack of hype.

1 Like

Good move for him

3 Likes

I would because it’s true. Nat Phillips is a lower PL/Championship level footballer but he’s better than Grujic.

Also, we signed Patrik Berger from Germany.

2 Likes

Not interested. Not only there isn’t any half-decent backup for TAA, Neco can play on either sides, so also a cover for yet-to-convince Tsimikas.