The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 1)

Being honest though Neco’s been poor when used this season, he’s clearly stunted his development and has had his flaws exposed. A year of first team football would be good for him. Kyle walker Peters is crap, so he should be in with a shout.

I’d rather see Milner out there than Neco, and Tsimkas is yet to see any real game time but he’s clearly a better left back from what I’ve seen.

5 Likes

Neco is one where he made the breakthrough, he became an international, he’s showing some versatility there (though more out of need), we have him tied up on a long term contract. But he knows the situation here with Trent. And for us, it’s not like he doesn’t have to perform/develop anymore. So it’s one where it’s not all guaranteed that he spends years and years with us. If there’s an offer the club judges too good to refuse and move onto something else, that’s also a possibility.

3 Likes

Neco hasn’t played for us in months, so I really don’t have any glimpse of his form or development. But considering he played regularly for Wales and they did decent in the World Cup qualifications, I would say he is doing OK.

He played against Fulham the other week and struggled.

He had very tough games against Atalanta and Brighton. Also, Aubemyeang had a field day for Arsenal in the charity shield.

That’a basically half his performances this season.

Far from saying he can’t make it but some regular gametime elsewhere could help.

3 Likes

Love the job Nat is doing for us currently but I can’t agree with you.

Player value on Transfermarkt (Phillips €5m - Grujic €14m)

Nat is lucky that we started with just three senior CBs this season + the injuries and lucky to be working under Klopp.

Marko wasn’t as lucky because we were packed in midfield and then we sign Thiago too.

Phillips struggled to get games in 2. Bundesliga.

Grujic was Cardiff’s best player, helped them with promotion and they weren’t able to stay up because we didn’t wanted to sell or loan to them again.

With Grujic Hertha was upper midtable for two years while since he left and they spend €100m on players they are fighting against relegation.

It’s 2021 and it still happens - English (British) players get looked at / judged differently.

Here is where I would rank Nats potential compared to other English players while they were here:

1. Ibe
  2. Phillips
  3. Kelly
  4. Flanagan
  5. Wisdom

Where are the now?

Would rate Grujic lower than Suso but higher than Luis Alberto. Both doing quite well.

Grujic will 100% end up at a similar level to Lazio/Sevilla while Nat Phillips at best will be at West Ham, Palace, Villa.

So who is going to have a better career?

(unless Nat wins the CL) :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

It’s only my opinion but Grujic is one of the worst players I’ve ever seen play for us. He’s levels below Alberto.

3 Likes

I respect that.

Love you :kissing_heart:

Now, let’s beat the fuck out of Real.

1 Like

I always thought Marcus Babbel was a decent signing.Unfortunately illness put paid to him having a longer career with us but I wouldn’t put him in the same category as some mentioned above.

4 Likes

We do have Conor Bradley impressing at youth level which could help make Neco going on loan next season a little easier.

As for Grujic, I’ve said it many times before but I’d be massively concerned if he was ever a regular for us. Far, far, far from good enough. His best attribute is being tall but he’s not very good at the whole football thing.

6 Likes

When you’re in this position, you’re going to have players making it elsewhere. As long as we do what we think is the right decision at the time, I’m totally fine with it. You can’t have them all. We made nice profit on a lot of players who failed even at lower level. Some needed more time, a lower level and a different style/league to blossom as a player, like Luis Alberto par example. There was no shame in selling him when we did. Same as I think it won’t be a shame when we sell Grujic, unless he goes on another loan and starts really impressing. So far, Cardiff, Hertha, Porto… not always playing, Hertha being probably his best period. I don’t think that’s good enough for us. He’s a clean player with decent stature, but not dynamic enough for us. I see a similar story with Mario Pasalic and his Chelsea career, though he had a number of better loans a little bit everywhere and it was only a matter of time before Chelsea made a nice profit on him.

3 Likes

If Grujic was really any good he’d have been snapped off us by someone after the Hertha loan.

2 Likes

Or maybe there was a pendemic and no club was able to pay what we wanted.

So we gambled and had to send him on loan again.

3 Likes

Of course, the whole market was and still is affected.

2 Likes

Those wage demands are fucking ridiculous :rofl: As previously pointed out, he’s pretty much limiting himself to a choice of two clubs, both of whom should be kicked out of their leagues and made to go and play in Dubai. We will find another player like Jota when the time comes. Nobody is the finished article until Klopp has had them for a few months.
600 grand a week :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

In July 2019? Hertha didn’t even think he was good enough to pony up the cash for and they spent £100m in 2019/20 & another £30m in 2020/21 despite the pandemic. If they really thought he was that good he’d be there.

1 Like
  1. That list is for Klopp era signings only :roll_eyes:
  2. It’s a bit of lighthearted pun. Why would I vouch for Italian League who gave us Aquilani and Dossena. :man_shrugging:
  3. The saddest thing about Babbel is that it wasn’t even injury that cut short his career :sob:
2 Likes

I should have read the lead up to the list first. I was going to suggest not signing some whose surname starts with K.

1 Like

…Konate?

3 Likes

Neco is a difficult one. His emergence last season was great news. But, his early performances probably got expectations up a bit more than they should have. I would like to see him continue as back up, but he may benefit more from a loan move.

3 Likes

We should take advantage of his playing time for Wales in order to avoid another Woodburn scenario, and to a lesser extent, Wilson. Add a buy back/sell on.

At the least, a loan.