The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 1)

He loves eating scouse, rain and listening to Jamie Webster?

2 Likes

I donā€™t think thereā€™s much point in arguing about various issues regarding our rumored targets. I have come to accept (and very much appreciate) the fact that we rarely sign a player with a considerable string of rumored link with us.

Having said all that, I do enjoy reading the snippets.

3 Likes

See ā€˜player buys mum houseā€™ story. Always reported very differently if itā€™s a black footballer involved.

3 Likes

Yeah that was the classic and obvious example white kid buys mum house ā€œsuch a thoughtful sonā€ black kid does it ā€œshowing off with his moneyā€! Basically find a black, full-time, professional, footballer who has worked his way to the top levels of this sport with a hip hop style cultural look who is acknowledged as the hard working, professional, athlete he must be to be where he is. Media would have you believe theyā€™re all lazy, unprofessional and been handed chances on a plate that theyā€™ve never really had to work hard for. Iā€™m lazy and unprofessional unwilling to work hard for chances and am I fuck a professional footballer because of it!

3 Likes

At the risk of being misunderstood, itā€™s possible we are overreacting here.

Bissouma being discussed. Seems a good player from the bits Iā€™ve seen of him, and to my mind would fit nicely into our midfield. We have a reputable outlet (was it The Athletic ?) saying we are checking into character/attitude side of things. Itā€™s a good thing if we are. We should be as thorough as possible.

Someone can have good character or poor character regardless of color of skin.

Kabak was raked over the coals in here for the spitting incident, for example. An example at another club might be Foden, who may have bought his mum a house, but was raked over the coals for being a bubble breaking shagger.

Black, white, gay, straight or Australian, I expect the club to do its homework, as thoroughly as possible, before any signing.

4 Likes

We do our homework on personality no matter who the target. Its quite unusual for such a big deal to be made of it.

surely not, i mean im all for equal rights, not racial profiling and the general seriosness of the matter, but surely the worlds not ready for that next step, best to just stay away from that lotā€¦

8 Likes

Fair comment. Iā€™m still waiting for Harry Kewell to come good for us!

1 Like

Johnston did very well for us in the short time he played for us?

4 Likes

Best. Comment. Ever.

5 Likes

I wonder why we decided to replace the whole medical staff, who were the reason why our medical department was very highly regarded during 2018-2020, after winning the league.

Massive injuries did not occur for no reason.

1 Like

Did we? I think we just appointed a new doctor not long ago.

2 Likes

We also recently appointed a head of rehab and recovery.

2 Likes

Yeah, thatā€™s the one I was thinking of. Thank you for correcting.

1 Like

Itā€™s a nonsense twitter talking point that we intentionally dissolved our medical team in order to hire less competent people. It doesnā€™t stand up to scrutiny but that doesnā€™t matter much in this day and age. One large account says it is all Chris Morganā€™s fault and there you go, itā€™s all his fault.

I seem to remember similar comments regarding John Achterberg when Mignolet was struggling. Achterberg has been retained and even promoted by every manager we have had in recent years but some guy with 50k twitter followers says heā€™s rubbish so there you goā€¦

6 Likes
1 Like

Somehow I have it in my mind that I really want us to sign Sancho. I am sort of thinking Haaland, Mbappeā€¦ out of reachā€¦ but the next highly rated young player on the emerging world class list, to help refresh our forward line, is Jadon Sancho.

I donā€™t know if we have the money to be shopping that highly, and I donā€™t know what deals the club are working on, and if there are other players who are just as good, but just not fully on the radar of the average football fan yet?

It feels a little like we are getting left behind slightly. I know it has been a bad season, for lots of reasons, but Man City are pulling ahead, then Chelsea look like they will be their closest challengers, and Man Utd usually have money and the Glazers will want a shiny player or two to help the restless natives settle down.

Against that backdrop, from having a couple of years where it was us or Man City, it now feels like we are in danger of slipping back slightly.

I hope Iā€™m not being too dramatic, but we need a good summer in the market to stay up there, along with our injured players coming back.

2 Likes

I think you are. This season has been one of unprecedented obstacles and so our current struggle is not a reflection of having fallen back or been over taken. Where I have more concern is whether we on the verge of a 1990 style collective ageing out of the squad that resulted in us going from champs to an old and oft injured team that became also rans almost over night.

7 Likes

Yes, Iā€™d go along with the 1990 comparison too.

So it feels like we need a good summer in the market to refresh the team and stay up there.

3 Likes

While a swap deal, with Keita going in one direction and Konate coming in the other, might make sense for both clubs, your comment regarding the benefit that making upfront payments in full might have upon the P&L of both clubs is most definitely incorrect.

Under accrual basis accounting, making payment in full or in stages makes no difference what-so-ever to the P&L account.

Purchases and sales are recognised when they are invoiced/earned, and not when the cash actually changes hands.

So irrespective of whether the transfer fees are paid in full or in instalments, the impact upon the P&L account is the same.

6 Likes