The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 1)

GJ was decent for a few years. Joe Cole was knackered when he signed.

2 Likes

Well today has help our transfer budget and still gives us the ā€œpullā€ of CL football.

4 Likes

OK Kylian, weā€™ve done our bitā€¦ over to you.

9 Likes

If thereā€™s any truth in our interest in Tielemans, todayā€™s events might have improved our chances? Though I reckon Leicester would want to make their rmoney back plus some, which might not work with our budget.

3 Likes

Hes joining us as a league runner up so psg can knock 20% off the transfer fee

2 Likes

How do you say 'for fucks sake keitas injured again ā€™ in Spanish?

1 Like

Michael Edwards nos jodiĆ³.

1 Like

Probably nonsense.

3 Likes

Letā€™s hope so. That move would have made sense 6 years ago.

9 Likes

Tenous links or serious talk? SKY Bet and other sites have us as favourites to sign him. Lots of speculation and maybe its time to consider if there is a chance of this actually happening.
Now that CL football is achieved it means we are at the very least attractive in football terms.

The unrealistic side is the finances involved. Maybe the injection of funds into the club would mitigate against that potential difficulty. I dont know enough about the business side of things to even guess.

We signed the best goalkeeper, centre back and midfielder in the world over the last few years.
Maybe Mbappe will complete the set?

2 Likes

Yes please,but as you rightly point out money could be the issue!

1 Like

Ok
I started the Mbappe transfer rumour thread, obviously moved to ā€œUnreliableā€.
Its not like there hasnā€™t been talk on this from several sources?
At what point can we call this a legitimate rumour?

2 Likes

Canā€™t see us buying anyone this summer window without sales. We and everyone else are in the hole because of COVID and the focus will be on recouping losses and paring down the extra debt.

Tuchel and Guardiola will go out and splurge though.

When thereā€™s more than just some passing opinion of a journalist. This ā€œlinkā€ has been doing the rounds for a few days but thereā€™s nothing substantive to it. He loves PSG but might be inclined to move on and if he does he could see himself at Real Madrid or Liverpool. Itā€™s hardly a come get me plea or us making any kind of move.

As youā€™ve said, the finances of it are unrealistic. We bought Alisson and Virg on the back of receiving the fourth highest transfer fee of all time. Without that, they arenā€™t here. Are we likely to sell someone of such significant a value this summer? Itā€™s possible but unlikely. Who, bar PSG and City have the money to tempt us to sell Mane or Salah? Any Mbappe deal would be dependent on one of those two leaving. Even with a year left on his contract, thereā€™s going to be a hefty fee involved.

We then need to pay him and his wages will be astronomical and rightly so for a player of his ability, age and marketability. He currently makes a reported Ā£375k a week, almost double the base salary of our top earners. Canā€™t think heā€™s going to take much of a drop on that, even if we pumped the contract up with a load of performance bonuses.

The injection of funds was said to help cover the shortfall in revenue as a result of covid. It wasnā€™t to pump into transfers. We lost a ton of money on the last accounts and the next set will be even worse. Things may be getting back to looking like normal again from next season but normal wouldnā€™t see us competing to sign Mbappe.

Heā€™ll end up at Madrid if he goes anywhere.

3 Likes

Was world class at A.Madrid. The question is how much has Barca broken him?

2 Likes

Its more than just the recent link. He has been linked to us for well over a year now. Most rumours are started in the media, whether reliable or not.

I think its as realistic a rumour as Sarr from Watford was last season.
Insofar as that didnt happen?
Yet the Sarr rumour merited its own thread.

While I like your thinking, Iā€™m not sure Naby gets the ā€˜best midfielder in the worldā€™ tag, even at his peak a year before he played for us and he looked very exciting. But yes I suppose he was a priced as a ā€˜world classā€™ player when we did the deal and he looked like he had the potential to really live up to that billing.

1 Like

Not sure if serious. :thinking:

2 Likes

Was talking about Thiago!

3 Likes

Lol. Makes much more sense, duh! Albeit not requiring a headline purchase like the others would - which is the main point of contention with how ā€˜realisticā€™ Kylian would be.

2 Likes