The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 1)

Lol… The hard ‘Ka’ sound at the start of Qatar & Kuwait shimmied my brain in the midst of an intense internet bitch fight with yer man, Flobs.

3 Likes

I believe the relevant point was that French contract law would allow Mbappe to buy out the remainder of his contract (1 year?) and move to any team he wishes, thus making whatever refusal to do business between the clubs irrelevant.

The laws are apparently different in the UK which allow, for example Man U to refuse to sell Gabriel Heinze to Liverpool.

3 Likes

Release clauses don’t exist in France so it just could/can not be that.
What does ‘you are released from your contract’ signify to a little englander?
Go back to Football Manager seems your level.

That was even more of an odd case from what I remember. It wasn’t just that they refused, but that they argued they were not legally required to because we only activated a clause in his contract, that should have been secret, after finding out about it illegally.

However, there is a FIFA regulation (Article 17) that covers unilateral termination of a contract, which in effect allows anyone under the age of 28 to walk away from any contract after 3 years regardless of how long is left on it. It is a controversial application and is not without risk for the player, but it’s seemingly, until CAS rule otherwise, an option for anyone in any country.

This is a piece from a few years ago that addresses it - Explaining FIFPro legal complaint against FIFA - ESPN

In short, the avenue exists, but FIFA still require some compensation to be paid. This is supposed to be based on the value of the remaining compensation on the contract being broken, but as there is no firm formula used to define this it effectively rules out the high profile players using it for fear that FIFA will come up with a compensation figure of a billion quid, leaving the purchasing club broke and the superstar player in contract limbo.

3 Likes

I have no issues selling Mo to get a Mbappe, I just think it’s a huge risk when comparing it to a “sell Mane, Firmino” situation. Both those players will have declining values, and I believe their value will decline significantly quicker than Mo’s. We could keep Mo another year and his value would be very close to what we could get this year, while Mane is still good value, but another year like this and his value will plummet. Firmino is value for money, and we won’t get a decent fee for him.

Mo is insanely marketable, while Mane and Firmino are just not in the same league, the money they bring in is purely from skill levels.

1 Like

Are you calling me a little Englander? Lol… you’re adorable.

Weirdly, the only part of your posts that are even remotely coherent are the parts where you being insulting, the remainder make little or no sense and give the impression that you really either have a problem with comprehension or can’t bothered to invest the time to understand what’s being said before responding.

I’m gonna stop engaging now cause this isn’t getting me to where I want to be.

1 Like

Thanks for this I had no idea this was a thing.

My take on Article 17 is that there has been a bit of a gentleman’s agreement to not use this. Once it is activated, and assuming the compensation to be paid is ‘only’ the remaining salary on the contract, once three years have been served, then all hell will break loose.

It would be just our luck to do it for Mbappe, and acquire him for say, 40M… only to then fall foul of some dodgy arbitration from CAS.

2 Likes

There was a lot of talk about Neymar using it, either to leave Barca or go back to Barca. Dont remember. The conclusion though was it was posturing as no one could possibly know what the amount could be, and the reasonable high end were absurd enough that it wasnt really viable.

Is Article 17 the only avenue open to Mbappe if he wanted to leave this year without formal negotiations between PSG and a buying club taking place?

United’s reaction to Rafa’s bid for Heinze was pretty bonkers I really wanted us to get him simply because they were so wound up about it all even though at that point in his career he seemed a bit slow and shit.

1 Like

Cheers, appreciate the explanation.

1 Like

Well, this has all gone very Handforth Parish Council, hasn’t it.

5 Likes

I think the issue is that there is unlikely to be a market for Mane or Firmino in the next two years, the cllubs that might traditionally be able to afford them either have no money or have other, younger priorities.
I’m actually not advocating selling Mo, I don’t, however, think the attack would fall apart if we did.
We have one of, if not the best analytics departments in the world and the current squad contains players that create lots of shots/chances so who ever replaces him will likely be really good and will have all the conditions to succeed.

1 Like

No! (read up on contracts)

Which is better?

Sell Mo, a proven performer and winner in our club and system, to have enough money to buy a player, a very good one nonetheless, and HOPE he is better and performs within the club.

Or

Keep Mo, a proven performer and winner in our club and system and buy someone else, and be coached by Klopp and team, who has proven to be able to to coach world class out of potentials, who then already know the system by then in a couple of seasons and transit into replacing Mo.

Great teams evolve and transit, not just replace their best players overnight.

10 Likes

In the interest of advancing the conversation, it might be helpful if you could provide some links that explain French sports contract law.

3 Likes

This.

People seem to point to Mo’s age as if he is ancient and he needs replacing.

He doesn’t drink, his diet will be impeccable, he never gets injured.

Mo is the type of player to play until he is 35-36 and will post 20+ goals each of those seasons.

He’s the sort of player you keep around as long as you can and hope he smashes all the goal scoring records at the club.

Its a bit Football Manager mentality just thinking swap A for B and everything will be great.

Don’t get me wrong, I would love Mbappe to come although its highly unlikely, but not at the expense of Mo

14 Likes

When did @Flobs husband join the forum, thank god they live in France.

12 Likes

OTOH, we can buy Sancho without having to sacrifice Salah. He is still €20-40m cheaper than Mbappe.

1 Like

?

“The LFP issues a clear reminder about article 202 of its rulebook. Clubs are not allowed to sign contracts that contain release clauses that enable the agreement between both parties to be unilaterally terminated.”

PSG would be perfectly entitled to refuse to sell him to Man City (or anyone else for that matter while he remains under contract).

3 Likes