The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 1)

Fifa bans the international transfer of players under the age of 18 except under certain specific circumstances. There is also an exception for players within the EEA where the ban applies to those under 16 instead but, of course, we’re no longer within the EEA.

4 Likes

Was just joking given that’s the reaction when we try to sign any African players.

6 Likes

Can you see how any of the exceptions set out in Article 19 of the Regulations on the Status and Transfer of Players might apply to Fatawu Abdul Issahaku?

I must admit that I have my doubts.

I don’t know his family circumstances but I very much doubt it.

1 Like

Sorry should have realised it was a joke. Was tired. But as someone who raises the AFCON concern for me it’s about too many in the same area of the pitch then missing games at the same time. It’s generally a big world and we already have some of the best AFCON players around. Certainly for wide forward I’d hedge towards a comparable non-AFCON option over an AFCON option providing you aren’t talking massive quality differences as we already lose Mane and Salah at the same time.

2 Likes

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theathletic.com/news/premier-league-brexit-rules-latest/dMY7ygEtwBiN%3famp=1

So the good news is youth caps count towards the work permit issue at least…

Interesting. I’ve not been paying attention it seems.

In terms of how we can sign a 17 year old when we aren’t allowed to sign 17 year olds, my assumption is that either he physically can’t leave Ghana for work until he’s 18 so our deal won’t start until then or it doesn’t really count as “signing” if he doesn’t come to England to train/play.

Clubs will figure out loopholes to every rule and given how rubbish and shit Brexit is I’m sure there are loopholes all over the place.

1 Like

Even if no loopholes we can always agree a deal now for a future date like we did with Keita. So we agree deal with player and club now for summer 2022 when he is 18. Then his current club agree to loan him to a 3rd club (reportedly Sporting) during that final year for a loan fee that’s beneficial for them now with the real prize coming next summer.

2 Likes

Wolves’ academy manager also spoke about this in last days/weeks, that the market for foreign kids will be much more limited now.

2 Likes

Even if there’s any truth in our interest and it’s not all just being fuelled from his people trying to create interest in the player, it’s unlikely he’d be anywhere near the first team until years from now, so i’m not sure why some seem so desperate for it to be happening.

Worth pointing out that this rule, prohibiting the international transfer of players under the age of 18 (from outside the EEA), has been in place for years and is totally unrelated to Brexit.

3 Likes

The Echo are reporting that Liverpool is not in the running to sign Abdul Fatawu Issahaku this summer.

The article [incorrectly] states that:

In any case, employment rules now in place in the United Kingdom mean Liverpool would be unable to sign the player until he is 18 next March.

As @Kopstar notes, this prohibition is less about post Brexit employment rules and more to do with pre-existing FIFA regulations.

As for the player going to either Sporting Lisbon or Villarreal (on a loan or a permanent deal), this would, I believe, also be prohibited under FIFA regulations as the player does not reside in the EU or EEA.

2 Likes

So the CB and CF signings are sorted. Now to get a CM. :sunglasses:

1 Like

We have a ton of CMs, no?
I know we don’t see them but now Gini’s gone perhaps we might?

Yes I wasn’t specifically talking this player when I said that but just that loopholes do exist in the concept of a “signing”. Kayky has signed for Man City despite being too young because he won’t actually join them until he is 18 - that’s a workaround for the U18s rules. I find it hard to believe Brexit will have shut down similar ways of getting around bans on foreign signings from the EEA now.

For example is signing someone from Saint Etienne at 16 and immediately sending them on a 2 year loan to Anderlecht (or just leaving them with Saint Etienne) going to be against the FA’s rules?

1 Like

Its ok maybe they will discover he has a English great great great grand father?

2 Likes

What CF have we signed?

The 17 year old Ghanaian who may or may not be allowed to sign for us and may or may not be going on loan to Sporting Lisbon and/or Villarreal.

:wink:

4 Likes

That’ll be the attacking midfielder then?