The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 1)

For sales I guess it depends, I think the club and Edwards are playing a hardball game, because if we undersell a player, its not just about that player, its about the perception of the club as a whole. If we do that, other clubs bidding for our players will think they can press the price down and we will crumble. So I guessed our hardball stance over supposed unwanted players in the past like Wilson etc is not just about Wilson but more of our negotiating position as a club (and thats probably how we got that much for Brewster). But eventually we will have to sell them and I trust Edwards to squeeze maximum value out of every single player we sell.

3 Likes

Iā€™m not sure this hardball strategy will work this summer. There are too many selling clubs and very little buyers.

Even if we are planning to do a fire sale of our fringe playersā€¦ so are practically every other club!!!

This adding up of ā€œtransfer valueā€ and getting a supposed Ā£70m back depends on someone spending a lot of money to get this merry-go-round started, and on everyone reinvesting that money back on transfers.

And even in good years, if we can clear out half of our deadwood that would be considered really good. Iā€™d expect more of something like selling 3 to 4 players (a mix of fringe and our youth players on loan) and loaning out the rest.

If there is a great opportunity available, Iā€™d expect it more to be a case of the owners digging deeper into their pockets.

Florian Wirtz is a interesting proposition, the kid does multiple positions and is a very dynamic player that fits our style of play to a tee. Worth a look. Especially before his value goes up even higher and bigger clubs like bayern and Chelsea come along to take him.

Fabio Viera is another kid who is promising , only thing is defensively im not seeing how he figures in with our style of play, defensively he has a lot to work on.

Thatā€™s ban worthy.

13 Likes

Im sorry, i didnt mean Bigger, i meant clubs that are willing to throw BIG MONEY at players come along, thats all. Sorry :sob:

5 Likes

With regard to selling players. Clubs who have deadwood type players are screwed from the start. Itā€™s a case of sell for what you can get. Otherwise itā€™s a no sale and continue with paying wasted wages. Imagine keeping Origi for an extra season because we want 5 million more. Cut your loses and move on.

2 Likes

Absoutely this.

Whilst itā€™s good we have stuck to our guns and have generally got good fees, on some occasions that has meant weā€™ve ended up loaning out a player only to be met with the same issue the next summer. And those loans are very much about getting the wages off the books, itā€™s not to aide their development and increase their chances of becoming part of the squad.

Eventually, those players will be out of contract and will go for nothing so at some point you have to bite the bullet. This summer presents the perfect excuse to take slightly lower offers without sending out the message that weā€™re a soft touch. Selling Origi, Shaq, Wilson, Grujic and Taki would probably raise enough to buy a forward player and have some change left over to use elsewhere and they contributed almost nothing last season.

4 Likes

The club are mad if they think that we will get good funds for our fringe players and players that always go out on loan. The days of spending Ā£20m on a gamble are over for a few years.

See we are sort of linked with Tielemans - Doubt that will happen - although Leicester do lose 1 big player a season. McGuire and Chillwell in last 2 seasons for example

Those loans often generate fees for the club too. Many of those going out on loan have generated no interest from people wanting to buy them from the club. Itā€™s not automatically a case of the club pricing them out of a move.

Looking at those players who have left on a free in recent years, I think there are few cases where we have been pushing back offers for them but not many. In most cases they appear to be where there has been virtually no interest (players coming back from a long term injury?, other clubs setting up deals in advance to get them on a free?) or weā€™ve deliberately decided to keep them until their contract runs out.

Edwards and co will be reacting based on what information they are getting on a daily basis through contact with other clubs and agents, and their own modelling as to what values they expect players here and elsewhere to go for in the current market and in future years. This will be constantly tweaked.

1 Like
4 Likes

The last one who came from Salzburg is not a big hit is he, if he comes I hope he will be.

1 Like

The same Edwards who got Ā£25mil for Brewster and Ā£20mil for Solanke yeah?

I reckon heā€™ll do ok.

Beiunda has gone for Ā£35mil which gives an indication that the market hasnā€™t dropped too much.

4 Likes

Unless Leicester develop transfer dementia and let him go for a manageable fee of say 40 mil we can forget him.

They will want 60-70 which we wont pay and talk of getting anything like that figure in player sales would be an absolute miracle. Think weā€™ll be lucky to get 45 for those 5.

Sort after players will still go for near enough normal market value. Deadwood like we have in abundance will have very little value this window and probably next too.

Need to take what we can get an move on.

I think each deal is unique and complicated in its own way.

Villa will probably sell Grealish to City who has a bottomless money-pit. So Villa will get a kingā€™s ransom and are prepared to be generous for Beiunda.

Porto is rumored to be selling one of their midfielders to Fiorentina and interested to sign Grujic as replacement. Since Fiorentina has a modest budget, itā€™s likely they will spend a modest (rumored to be e15m) amount for the Porto player, and in turn Porto will spend an even more modest amount for Grujic.

1 Like

15m euros for Grujic would probably be an excellent deal for us.

4 Likes

Porto will most definitely make a profit, so we will probably get around 10m which is still very decent in my opinion.

2 Likes

Sorry, misread your post. I thought you were saying that Grujic would go for 15m euros not the player he was expected to replace.

I think his former club are owed a % of any sale we make. I canā€™t remember how much for though. That may complicate matters.

1 Like

Thatā€™s rumored to be 20% @Hope.in.your.heart can confirm.

We signed him for Ā£5.1 million and have received decent amounts as loan-fees. So even if we end up with net 7-8 mil, itā€™s very good.

2 Likes

Anything we sell Grujic for will be a profit on the accounts. But I think weā€™ll have learned lessons from last summer and not hold out for top money. There will be a greater emphasis on getting sales done and done early.

2 Likes

I wonder if we will adopt a two price strategyā€¦for some players will agree to a lower fee if the deals are done quickly, but will rise as the window progresses (and the reasons for selling reduce slightly).