The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 1)

Before the tournament I saw the links and thought I could see the sense in it. He’s never taken me as a must have player, but he’s done well on a decent team and I could understand if our team thought they saw something in him that could go to the next level. However, this summer I watched him get completely outplayed by Italy, and Barella specifically and ended up with several players who are speculatively linked I’d much prefer.

As always with Klopp and Edwards, if this is the direction they go I’ll be hopeful of it working, but it doesnt fill me with the excitement that landing a player like Barella or Niguez would. Even Sanchez.

7 Likes

Surely not Barella he’s rubbish!

1 Like

Saul Niguez links seem too good to be true. Anyone know why AM would let him go?

1 Like

I think Tielemans still has a long way to go to be considered a great player but he has all the tools. A coach like Klopp or Guardiola would likely help him get there, playing in a stronger team would also help, in my opinion.

Whether he’d be the right option, or if it is Saul, Bissouma, Aouar or someone else, I really can’t tell. I’m still leaning towards Aouar but I wouldn’t mind Saul at his very best, he’d likely be cheaper than Tielemans and probably wouldn’t require Klopp to change the layout of his squad, unlike Aouar.

He’s been their player most often linked to big money moves over the past few years, but they’ve strongly rebuffed them all because during that period he was arguably their best or most important player. He fell slightly out of favour this year and so there is the thought now is the right time to cash in before his value drops. It still seems very odd treatment for a player who despite the narrative was still one of their most heavily used players this season. But by the end of the season Simone was using Lemar in a CM role instead of him.

3 Likes

matthew bingo GIF

Thanks @Limiescouse, makes a lot of sense.

Immediately after reading your post I saw this tweet from a young journo which aligns with your thoughts:

https://twitter.com/emctear/status/1413475401553235974?s=21

I like Tielemans, but I think he’s 5’9”? I think we need to be add a bit more height to midfield.

1 Like

I’ve always felt that physicality (height/strength/speed) is a bit of a misleading index. Kante being the standout example - I guess it really depends on the set up of the team what the emphasis is,is it that we are we looking to win the first ball, the second ball, retain position and so on.

Also, players like Curtis, Hendo and Trent, VVD/Matip/Gomez/Konate, Origi and Ferminio are not “small”.

1 Like

I think you nailed this here. Hendo used to play Gini’s role, the tireless hustler and recycler. Gini’s strength was his stamina and his ability to rarely lose the ball under pressure. whilst Henderson doesn’t have as strong a dribbling skill as Gini to evade a tackle, he’s faster on moving the ball and first touch is better. that leaves Tiago to be the setup/advanced midfielder and Fab to sweep up the areas behind them.

I really…REALLY liked what Sanchez brought to Portugal. he stood out. reminded me of Davids/Medel/Nainngolan/Veratti mold of aggressive (if not diminutive) midfielder that breaks up play and runs all day. my 40’s team has a couple of them (myself included, when not playing LB) and it’s key to our style of play.

2 Likes

How much would the guys from your team cost? We could save a few bob there

1 Like

@Bekloppt couple beers and a tray of tandoori chicken post-match. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Yes, they will sell him for less, or nobody will buy him, or they will convince him to sign a new contract. My point is that Barca have their backs against the wall, they are basically foreclosure sellers in a buyers market.

2 Likes

Would be more worried about the speed of our midfield than the height if Tielemans came in. Fabinho, Henderson, Thiago is a bit plodding as it is.

Tielemans at 50 million or Saul at 40?

Let’s not forget who is in charge of Belgium that footballing God Roberto “so shite got dumped by Everton” Martinez.

Saul for me

2 Likes

For me Saul at 40.

1 Like

Ñíguez Saul day long.

1 Like