The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 1)

Man City are reportedly willing to pay around £250m for 2 players this summer. I’m sure they could do a deal.

It really depends on what PSG would demand for him in his last year as to who else would be able to buy him ( I would think Chelsea could have found the cash given they were supposed to be willing to pay £150m for Haaland).

1 Like

If Moving to Real is in his plans, I dont see a buyout clause being anywhere near 200m.

1 Like

Agree, it’s the likely outcome.

I think whether we have a chance or not depends how strong his desire to play for Real is. For the sake of the argument, say he goes to Liverpool next summer, with the intention of spending three years there before moving to Madrid. Then Real sign Haaland next summer and decide they want to build an attack to maximise his strengths. When those three years have passed, maybe Real have moved on and have the attackers they need.

It’s all very hypothetical, but if he wants Real and Real want him now or next summer, I think that’s where he goes. Because it may not be the case in three or four years, football moves quickly.

3 Likes

Can see Psg agreeing to 200 if it gets him to resign and it will be a couple of years minimum before Real can afford that kind of fee so they’ll get a couple of years at least.

We’re not back to discussing release clauses in French football are we?

4 Likes

Jim Carrey Omg GIF

4 Likes

I dont see Mbappe agreeing to it as it probably prices Real out of any deal. He can walk for free next summer, so can likely get PSG to include a clause with a much lower fee.

Plus, unless you’ve factored this in, as a free agent we’d need to fend off most top clubs. This year we’ve more or less a free run.

1 Like

They can’t. They are literally not allowed to register players while this stand off with La Liga continues.

By the way, I think Messi resigns at Barca. Barca are trying to call La Liga’s bluff, in the knowledge that Messi is as important to the league as he is to Barca.

2 Likes

Spurs offering 60m for Lautaro, I’d love us to go for him. He’d be a great Kane replacement unfortunately.

1 Like

Y’all need to stop thinking wages are where a player like Mbappe earns the bulk of his money.

It’s not who can pay him the most, it’s who can give him the platform to commercial riches beyond any football wage.

2 Likes

Maybe, but in which case that still isn’t Liverpool.

2 Likes

We’re one of the few clubs that can.

Put it this way, how many club can turn out 100k fans, in another country, for a friendly?

1 Like

Real Madrid, Barcelona, Manchester United…the others would struggle. But those three clubs would already do more for the Mbappé brand than Liverpool, particularly Real.

2 Likes

Barca have 6-12months to align a plan for sorting out their mess.
Mbappe may be courted as the guy who brings the glory days back to them!

Well one of them is the other club he is constantly linked to.

Real aren’t in a great financial position but not Barca levels of trouble. We’ve seen with Alaba that they’re happy paying huge wages for bosman deals. With Bale off the wage bill next summer if not before they’ve got some wiggle room on that front, especially if they could move Hazard on and Modric leaves too. That’d be about £1.3m a week freed up.

1 Like

If they have any sense they will go back to what made them a great footballing team, i.e. bringing through youth and adding to that with elite players from around the world. They still have a young core they can start with - Pedri, De Jong, Fati, Garcia, Emerson etc. Is a great start, it might take 2-3 years but most of their problems have been such short term thinking.

6 Likes

Think you’re referring to Australia, which was mainly because Oz is full of Brits and Irish. In Africa, Asia, South America etc we aren’t close to the following Barca and RM have

You can rule out Utd. They are miles off competing. And Barca can’t even sign players on a free at the minute.

It’s between Real and Liverpool. I don’t think we’re definitely going to get him, but I do think it’s possible. Especially if we can set a pathway for him that means he stays at Liverpool for 4-5 years and then makes the move to Real at 27.

1 Like

I’m not trying to deliberately break the hope that he could come - and let’s face it, while our two CFs are Firmino and Origi, the club is practically feeding this hope - but taking Salah as an example, his LFC wages account for
two thirds of his total earnings (2020).
He hasn’t signed the new contract yet has he? That might change things, but keeping in mind Salah is the highest profile player in the Arab world (430m people), and I’d question how much scope Mbappé has to totally dwarf the commercial interests of Salah of he were to come here.

I also don’t really liken him to LeBron. LeBron and him are worlds apart in terms of standing out from the crowd, mainly because LeBron really is a once in a generation player. Similar to Messi or Ronaldo and I certainly don’t put Mbappé in that category, as good as he is.

1 Like