The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 1)

I think at this stage, anytime a defender leaves a club or is injured we will see Nat mentioned.

2 Likes

It would also go against our no dickheads policy

2 Likes

This is excellent from Klopp! Means he feels confident we can comfortably compete in PL/CL/FA. We have a big enough squad and excellent quality across the squad.

Having all these players should also assuage his previous fixture congestion malaise. We donā€™t need any new bodies and he can properly rotate.

3 Likes

I love this. Klopp always talks like this just as weā€™re about to sign someone.

6 Likes

I am fine with the squad the way it is. Iā€™m just happy to hear Klopp say it too.

EDIT: weā€™ve seen what a proper pre season has done for continuity. I canā€™t imagine anyone coming in now or next week could properly contribute for months.

3 Likes

Yeah, me too. We have very little in terms of gaps in the squad. The trick is to keep enough of them fit and on form. But any new signings can be injured or flop as well.

Just get the surpluses out and tie down the key players.

2 Likes

While also giving the current group a confidence boost. Compare this to Jose constantly moaning about needing more signings

2 Likes

No doubt our Starting11 + 5 Subs (GK, CB, FB, CM, Attacker) can win PL + CL.

Second 11 without Shaq and Div could look like

Kelleher
Neco Gomez Konate Kostas
Naby Milner Jones
Minamino Ox Jota

and could almost go all the way in the domestic cups.

Would still have Adrian, another young CB + Elliott in hand.

2 Likes

I donā€™t think we paid all that money to have Matip ahead of konate. Unless you just assume, and rightly so, he has a lengthy lay off with injury :joy:.

Yes, better to move Shaqiri on now and take a hit on the fee rather than wait til the end of the window and end up with him still here. Buyerā€™s market. Think him going will mean weā€™ve more or less covered the Konate fee with all the outgoings. Phillips will be next which will put us well in the black. Someone must be coming in. Itā€™s easy to say weā€™re well-stocked, got good strength in depth etc at the start of the season before weā€™ve kicked a ball but there are too many unreliable players fitness-wise. Weā€™ve already lost Robbo and heā€™s been indestructible til now. I still think we need a couple but agree itā€™s likely to be just the one.

3 Likes

Personal preference.

Some will say Konate has to start because of his price.

Some will say Gomez has to start (because heā€™s english :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: )

And Iā€™m saying Matip has to start whenever he is fit.

Tbh I donā€™t care who starts as long as we have 3 CBs available and the name of one of them rhymes with ā€˜calm as you likeā€™.

3 Likes

There are four or five realistic areas I could see business done but itā€™d be unrealistic for more than maybe two to happen and possibly none.

First of all I expect all of these to be surplus to requirements and whether they stay or go wonā€™t effect our incomings because they wonā€™t really have a role if they stay; Phillips and/or Davies (if one stays Rhys Williams to go on loan), Karius, Ojo, Woodburn (possibly, two minds), Shaqiri and Origi. Possibly if both Origi and Shaqiri go some type of versatile forward may come in.

CB: If Matip wants to be a first name on the teamsheet type I think we will let him move on without a problem and bring in a replacement. Or if we have real concerns over the ability to stay fit of Matip and/or Gomez (or God forbid VvD) maybe one? Be a clearing out of other CBs if thatā€™s the case though.

CM: More of a 6/8 to come in if Keita leaves but its looking likely heā€™ll stay now.

Attacker: If Minamino and/or Ox go I can see an attacker capable of playing wide or as a more number 10 style option coming in. May need both of those to go for this to happen though not just one especially if weā€™ve already brought in a versatile forward if both Origi and Shaqiri leave. If we have a versatile attacker the second attacker may even be a more traditional number 9 type.

A shock: With everything going on as it is the idea of a shock piece of business like one or even two of our traditional front 3 leaving with Mbappe coming in isnā€™t outside the realms of possibility, sometimes opportunities come along and youā€™ve got to run with them. Itā€™s unlikely, especially this late in the season, but it actually wouldnā€™t surprise me.

Jesus, that Shaqiri tweet in the links threadā€¦ I thought for a moment they were paying him Ā£350k a week.

Who reports footballer salaries as per month ffs! :joy:

9 Likes

I agree. But their current wages, while low for LFC, will be in the high bracket at most mid level clubs, at which point itā€™s just an extra hurdle to overcome. All very doable for the right club, but they will be looking at the amount of football Shaq and Origi have played and wondering if they should make them one of their main players.

Itā€™s why thereā€™s not a stampede, as on the face of it, Ā£8M for Shaq and Ā£12-15M for Origi (guessing what they will go for) seems like a steal, given their quality.

I suppose the way I see it is Liverpool donā€™t shift him then Klopp can utilise them in some form and go back for whoever they are keen on possibly in a years time.

No doubt to me that if we sell Shaq or/and Origi that does leave us slightly short and we will probably buy.

3 Likes

My guess on remaining business is Shaq, Origi, Phillips and Davies out.

Doku in.

Iā€™m seeing midfield as less of an issue than earlier in the window.

Are the Doku links anything genuine?

2 Likes

Interesting quotes from Klopp in the twitter thread

When you look at the squad it actually is pretty decent and pretty deep across all areas. Injuries could change that quickly though but you can see his point. Thereā€™s no point in buying for the sake of it. If we are looking to address a specific weakness in the squad then fine but as it stands its the deepest highest quality squad I have seen at the club.

1 Like

Tolisso from Bayern Munich rumoured to be available for 10m Euros. Seems like a very good player in midfield, with similar qualities to Gini and just at 27. However, had a bad injury 2 seasons ago and in the last 2 seasons, also had an injury in each that put him out for a couple of months each time. Not sure whether we are even interested, but there are options in the market for all sort of prices I guess.

2 Likes

Not sure. Some smoke, but the problem is many teams and agents have lots of reasons to throw our name around.

Apparently we have followed him for some years. His athletic gifts are among the best in the game. The issue is how much he can grow as a footballer, as he is raw.

Buy now, bit-part player, but in time a replacement for Mane? If we sign him that must be the thinking. If we wait, and decide heā€™s the one we need in say, 2-3 yrs, when he learns to add goals and assists, he might cost 100M by then, and there will be competition.

Tough business to decide right now!

3 Likes