The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 1)

Mbappe to Liverpool on a free next summer. Signs four year deal. Then moves to Madrid on a free at the end of that.

I think with Elite players, this might just be the direction that football is going in.

6 Likes

When rich owners got involved. As in nation states that launder money through football, and are more powerful than any regulatory authority

2 Likes

Last night I legitimately dreamed that I woke up one morning (that was in the dream) and MbappƩ was on the front pages of every newspaper wearing a red shirt. The finer details in the article mentioned that it was a swap deal for Virg.

Woke up in a sweat.

Think youā€™re right Mascot.

Probably donā€™t want to start a war with another state.

The Qatar rivalry with UAE is a point well made. Think about transfers between Liverpool and Man Utd and take it to the nth degree.

Money, influence, war, war by proxyā€¦ all these ingredients are there in the regional rivalry.

On a footballing level it removes a richer team (artificially so) from the equation in the clamor for Mbappe.

Not quite. If he leaves on a free next summer, they can still be in the discussions. However, I would expect Real Madrid still be the favourites to sign him then.

1 Like

I still donā€™t see why he would want to put off joining Real Madrid for four years?

3 Likes

Because heā€™d rather play for Klopp while heā€™s still at Liverpool than for Ancelotti or whoever has the revolving managerial chair at Real.

1 Like

If money is no object (as heā€™s filthy rich already) and wants to play for a club rich in history,European glory,capable of wining the league with a great team,one of the best managers on the planet,stadium full of fans with amazing moments and the hardest/best league in the world,plus heā€™s mentioned us in the past,why wouldnā€™t he want to try his luck with LFC for a few years before making the move to Real?

4 Likes

Yes, you are right. When heā€™s no longer under contract, all bets are off and he is free to do as he wishes.

1 Like

He is by all accounts a Real Madrid fan. I canā€™t think of any player (or fan) that would choose to move to another club ahead of the one they support, unless they had doubts about their ability or playing time at that club, and I donā€™t see either of those things being of concern to Mbappe if Madrid make him an offer.

He also wants to be the best player on the planet,if he doesnā€™t dip his toes in the Premiership at some point,can he truely be classed as that,without playing in the biggest and best league in the world right now?

Real will always be in the chase for him if he carries on his performances at another club for the next 4 or 5 years.Iā€™d personally think that it would be better and easier for him to play the Premiership with his pace and power now,in his early 20ā€™s than it would be in his 30ā€™s and joining La Liga later in his career,with a slightly slower paced game.

3 Likes

Round And Round Car GIF by CBeebies HQ

2 Likes

Messi managed it.

The only sensible option is MbappĆ© on a free next summer and Haaland for Ā£70m at the same time.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s the first Iā€™ve heard of him being a Real fan. Given his flirting with us over the past couple of years I would have thought heā€™d be more likely to be an LFC fan if heā€™s a fan of any one club.

If he moves this summer then I assume heā€™d be moving to Real as we couldnā€™t afford / wouldnā€™t pay the fee. But if itā€™s next summer when heā€™s out of contract then it would be different and weā€™d be in with a shout IMO.

I knew that one was coming lol

Heā€™s the exception to the rule,the thing with Messi is that he was in the perfect storm,Barca had an amazing team,wining everything domestically and on the continent,along with his skills and amazing numbers for goals and assists over a 15 year period.

Mbappe is a totally different player in a not so good Real team,heā€™d have to spend the rest of his career at Real to try getting anywhere near breaking Ronaldoā€™s records at Real or Messiā€™s at Barca,iā€™m not saying he couldnā€™t but i donā€™t think the team heā€™ll be playing in at Real will get him near those numbers to warrant a worlds best player tag.

2 Likes

Real Madrid are probably the club with the biggest reputation in world football. I donā€™t think a player needs to worry about their reputation and whether they have played in the premier league if they play there.

Secondly, Real Madrid are as fickle as many clubs when it comes to signings. There is no guarantee that they will either be still interested in him in 3 or 4 years. Particularly if they feel snubbed by a player.

1 Like

This gets overblown I think. First think of famous Liverpool fans like Dele Alli, Aguero and others that have ended up rejecting us and ended up at rival clubs. Then remember that those quotes came as him answering questions over rejecting a move to Real Madrid as a youth and were very much along the lines of ā€œReal are a great team Iā€™m a huge fan, I just donā€™t think itā€™s right for me now but I will play for them some dayā€ and I think he was 16/17 at the time.

2 Likes

La Liga wasnā€™t in decline when he established himself. It was right at the peak of ā€œGalactico Real Madridā€ able to buy any player on the planet and dominant Barcelona winning everything in sight.