The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 1)

We had 3 last minute withdrawals in midfield - 2 for family events, 1 minor issue - and we still had Thiago and Jones on the bench

3 Likes

Exactly why Iā€™m not too fussed about having players like Origi and Shaqiri on the fringe. Theyā€™re not likely to be paid that much that they cause a significant drag on the clubā€™s finances. They had a shit past season, but theyā€™ve proven their worth in seasons where we won major titles. They have that experience now, so theyā€™ll be good to have around until we slowly let their contracts expire, presumably timed around the development milestones of particular youth players.

1 Like

Would be nice to move them on as they arenā€™t likely to contributeā€¦ but yeah, itā€™s not a disaster if they stay.

2 Likes

Only takes a couple of injuries before they start becoming relevant however, and thatā€™s not accounting for the possibility that they might yet raise their game again.

I do wonder if this is the thinking about Phillips.

But Shaq and Origi I canā€™t seem them even close to Kloppā€™s thinking anymore.

Wouldnā€™t be surprised if it plays out like most discussed in which we sign someone once spaces are made available. I guess we will see in 10 or so days.

3 Likes

My point earlier was that we had 3 midfielders out today and they werenā€™t relevantā€¦

There is always a point where enough injuries cause problems, but I think 1 or both could be moved with little risk.

Mind if they did leave Iā€™d like to see a new attacking player with promise brought in - you some one like Jones or Elliottā€¦

1 Like

My view is Klopp wants both sold and he will replace with 1 player. Elliot, Jones and Keita are going to pick up Giniā€™s minutes.

4 Likes

To be honest, Matty, I wouldnā€™t be surprised to see them both gone by the end of the window, preferably permanently and with a minor hit on their values, and not replaced. Iā€™d be against not buying a replacement for them as I think that another forward of some type is needed but I guess that Klopp will look to give an opportunity to Minamino if he canā€™t add a suitable player this late in the window.

So, Phillips, Origi and Shaqiri leave for, say, 30 million pounds combined, Klopp buys Haaland for 250 million pounds next summer, sells Minamino for further 10 million pounds and says ā€œwe could only afford Haaland because we sold the four of them, that 40 million pounds, so we spent only 210 million poundsā€. :wink:

4 Likes

Donā€™t understand this argument. Elliott, Jones and Keita are completely different types of players to Gini.

2 Likes

Midfielders? Itā€™s about time the midfield evolved to being a bit more progressiveā€¦ Enter Keita, Jones and Elliot.

6 Likes

@Nikola no need to pay 250m for Haaland, heā€™ll be available for ā‚¬75-90m :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

I believe the 250 million is the agency fee on top of the 75 mil release clause.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a very confusing headline. It looks as if Klopp told Liverpool, but in fact itā€™s Crouch spouting his opinion, as he is paid to do.

10 Likes

I saw it quoted Shaq was on 3.6 million a year and Big D 3 million a year.

Its popular narrative every pundit has been spouting same. I bet deep down they are gutted we have won first 2 games because boy could they have beat that drum even more.

2 Likes

It also reads like Crouch is saying liverpool made a mistake and need to sign someone, but if read carefully it appears him to be saying that signings might cause excitment and get people talking, but that isnt what causes you to win stuff

7 Likes

Yeah, and he says we will be challengers.

Itā€™s clickbait and weā€™ve been hooked!

1 Like

Yeah Crouch and Cole we had a good squad and would be challengers.

Haha, Iā€™m aware of that, mate, but I couldnā€™t resist a dig at the bald genius and the fees and wages his club spend on his players. :slight_smile:

2 Likes