The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 1)

Wouldn’t be surprised if Jones doesn’t go on to have the (Liverpool) career many are predicting for him. But yeah, at the moment and at that price, we really don’t have to sell. He merits a place in the squad for the near future at least. With time, we’ll see. Possibly just a lazy rumour now with Elliott getting game time.

2 Likes

Aubameyang wants out of Arsenal and they want Origi in if he goes why just not swap the players :unamused:

1 Like

Like Minamino had no game time this season. Jones also left out last 2 match day squads so maybe we will let him go.

1 Like

No thanks. I’d swap Origi for Saka, Folarin Balogun, or Sambi Lokonga but nobody else at Arsenal.

6 Likes

Don’t think so. Not making the squads is probably just short term coincidence as Klopp is juggling the squad with those who are fit and ready to play, along with those who are key needing playing time. Wasn’t jones injured for at least one of the games?

1 Like

Pretty sure he had to miss Norwich due to head injury in the last friendly didn’t he? Standard rules on concussion or something? Then he was on the bench for Burnley, Chelsea bench was probably just going for experience with Thiago and Keita there, Ox was probably there as half a CM option and half a forward option as we’ve been preparing to use him at false 9 and have used him plenty on the wide forward positions too.

3 Likes

Fucking hell even “tow the party line” Pearce is questioning just how smart it is to he this stingy with financial backing for Klopp!

3 Likes

He’s not the only one. I think the guys at the Echo have too. Haven’t read the article but his statement just sounds stupid. Jota is the go to guy if anything happens to our front 3. With the others on the bench as you say being flexible options. So why should Origi have been on the bench and why is Pearce making such an issue about it?

It’s probably just gutter stuff, to appeal to those wanting players signed but I do wonder if this is a reaction to that press conference the day before Norwich when he raised the issue of transfers then,

1 Like

Assuming that Klopp wants to sign an attacker and FSG are saying no?

Klopp could push for the sales of Origi and Minamino to raise funds and space in the squad.

3 Likes

Apparently, this ‘story’ originated in the rag so it’s best ignored.

Having said that, I do agree with @Zoran in thinking that Jones probably won’t have the long-term Liverpool career that people seem to assume he will have. We probably will sell him at some point, but for a lot more than 15 million.

2 Likes

I think the key thing is if Origi wants to go.

He will need to accept a lower profile club and probably lower wages. Liverpool did accept a 20M bid from Wolves which Origi rejected (according to Pearce). That was in a past window. and lead to Minamino getting loaned instead.

Not sure Origi has confidence in himself to do what Ings did (take a step backwards, for playing time to improve his career long term)

2 Likes

I like Curtis because I think like Elliot, they are mentally strong. They do not care they are young and inexperienced, they play themselves into relevance in matches. Of course Elliot right now seems to be on a steeper trajectory but Curtis can be still be a very good player for us. Some talents just need longer (see Jordan Henderson).

But would it means he is not sellable? Nope. But for the price we would sell, only our direct competitors can afford and I would not sell to them. So the best deal for me and for Jones If we want to sell is to find a club foreign and likes young fantastic players. Therefore I present a Jones plus 10mil deal with Dortmund for Bellingham this Winter or nx Summer.

Crazy to even talk about selling Jones. No reason to think he can’t play a Gini role and he’s young and scouse to boot.

3 Likes

I am more pragmatic. Of course our posturing is we will not sell our players but for Curtis, if someone offers anything above 50m outright for Curtis, I would definitely consider, depending who is the club. Would anyone offer that? If anyone, it would be our competitors like Man City etc which I will not accept anything lesser than 100m in this case. I believe Curtis can be very good for us. Whether that will become true or how long it will take, its anyone’s guess but he is already showing alot of signs that he can be that player. But my position is like if someone like Bellingham, who is further higher on the curve than Curtis is available and Dortmund is willing to do a reasonable deal with exchange plus cash, I would do it.

1 Like

Considering Edwards drives blood from a stone this has come all from one side, I don’t think we are interested so for some reason Villa have leaked it.

If it’s real that is. I don’t think we would even consider selling him at any price quoted at least.

2 Likes

As long as he’s happy here and trusts the process we shouldn’t sell Curtis Jones full stop. Yes, at this minute he may only be a decent squad option of a young player. And he may, even if all potential hit, still be “replaceable” as a talent on the pitch if required. But how rare is it to actually have scouse talents who eat, sleep, breath and bleed Liverpool breaking through into the team because they actually have potential to be an arguable starter? He’s worth so much at any other club (and way more than £20m) but here? Coming through our academy? Priceless! Need more like him and Trent, definitely not even consider losing one.

4 Likes

If he could pass or shoot he’d be world class !

(It’s weird how a player with the confidence to take on players the way he does just seems to freeze when he is asked to do anything meaningful with the ball.)

1 Like

Klopp would take that as a compliment seeing who it came from

1 Like

Think he had a little injury problem…

2 Likes

Tierney???