The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 1)

I find it annoying when people say Gini didn’t want to leave. As far as i’m concerned he was offered a contract didn’t sign it. Ergo he wanted to leave.

Doesn’t matter if the offer wasn’t as much as he wanted, if the club just said ‘sorry, thanks but no new contract, time to find a new club’ then that’s him not wanting to leave. If club says here’s your new contract and he says no I want more money, then that’s him wanting to leave for more money.

I’m sure Nat would love to get a new bumper contract and to made 2nd choice next to Virgil, but since that’s not going to happen…he wants to leave to play more games. But nobody is going to paint that as him not wanting to leave because we couldn’t offer him exactly what he wanted.

7 Likes

But we’re not going to pay a transfer fee and likely higher wages than he was after before he left in order to make the deal permanent in the summer.

So January to May, on loan, is the epitome of a stop gap. The guy has a special place in this chapter of Liverpool’s story but he’s moved on a d so have we. He was a solid yet unspectacular player 99% of the time. Good, but not great.

The rumour is probably bullshit anyway.

2 Likes

Starting to feel like they’re more interested in buying players with a view to selling on than putting a team together to challenge Bayern.

It’s almost like they’re advertising themselves as a stepping stone to reach the big time rather a place players can actually achieve things at. Quite sad in a way that Bayern’s dominance reduces them to that kind of role.

Good player though.

6 Likes

They’ve been like that for a long long time. Just like Spanish football, German football is a funnel to the top club (s). Klopp regularly had his best players go to Bayern, it makes his achivements there all the better.

5 Likes

Watched the series on Amazon about Dortmund from couple seasons ago, fascinating watch (the Klopp bits are awesome). Although that was never said as the conclusion they gave all the information you needed to form the conclusion you just did. That’s basically how they have to survive as a club. Set up that way they can still get the odd cup or European run. If Bayern have a clusterfuck year its 50/50 between them and Leipzig who takes advantage to pick up the league title. May cause an upset every once in a blue moon even when Bayern are strong but not as likely. Sad but true.

2 Likes

All German clubs play that role bar Bayern, and the worst thing is that they happily accept it.

1 Like

:joy:

I thought he was the final piece of the jigsaw for PSG, balance in midfield and all that.

Ask him if he’s willing to return, but on the deal he got when he came from relegated Newcastle, so he can be our next “Millie”.

On a serious note now, it is a little bit weird (even if I genuinely think he’s generally more likeable than that good) it hasn’t worked out so far.

This is not even PSG’s best central midfield in last years, apart from Verratti of course.

Gini struggling to get into a side made of that bloody donkey Danilo Pereira, Idrissa Gueye, Herrera and co is a little bit telling.

2 Likes

There’s talk of a South American locker room clique there that pit pressure on getting the South Americans playing time and making things uncomfortable for the European rivals for the places in question. Apparently that’s something creating issues for Gini, whether true or not who knows?

1 Like

I think it’s more likely that he becomes greater than the sum of his parts in a very specific set up. It was the same with Coutinho. Something that a lot of people knew but apparently he didnt. I feel for him, it’s sometimes really tough to know what the best decision for your career is.

Talk…

Possible, but impossible to tell/trust from outside.

You get these slightly weird scenarios sometimes, players who should be a good fit on paper and then not quite make it.

Maybe Poch is actually wanting him more offensive than what the football public thought PSG was buying him for.

And then, I can understand if the likes of Neymar, Messi and Mbappe (or PSG in general, coaching staff who make these decisions) are not satisfied with his final 3rd quality, as that ‘first to arrive from midfield’ player. You can’t judge that by, I don’t know, his goalscoring record for Netherlands and say that’s it, he can go and combine with Neymar/Messi. There are different levels.

For me, Gini was the best Gini from the summer of 2018, he really grew then into a very good working CM.

We’ll see what happens here, perhaps it’s still early and not all lost for him at PSG (maybe it’s not Poch there anymore from next summer, who knows), but if it’s there or somewhere else, he should be able to provide those working qualities for a few more years.

3 Likes

That fat head Koeman turned Gini’s head… firstly for the national side playing him as a free scoring midfielder/forward, then wanting him at Barcelona when he picked up the reins there… Obviously in a similar role
Gini must have looked at the ‘slog’ he had to get through under Jurgen each game and thought “sod this for a living”…

Announce Haaland…

2 Likes

Still no small clubs though, sorry Utd.

Anyone that adds Barca as a transfer destination can’t be taken seriously. It’s beyond embarrassing.

6 Likes

Yeah they said instalments I don’t think 5 euros a month is what they had in mind.

I am sure they have a chance to convince Andy Carroll to join them.

1 Like

I don’t think we do business with that piece of shite Raiola. One of the few things I respect in Guardiola, he will not do that either.

1 Like

It would be nice to see Haaland drop his parasite agent before a big move to LFC.

Dreamland, mind.

2 Likes

I still think he’ll end up at City. His demands will reduce the number of clubs who can afford him.

2 Likes

Haaland is too ugly for us.

Just to soften the blow when he goes to City.

3 Likes