The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 1)

This doesn’t say much but given the tumbleweeds being tossed about in this thread (via BBC rumours)

Liverpool will sign a new forward in the January transfer window if the opportunity for a long-term player investment comes along. (Fabrizio Romano via Anfield Watch)

There is that farcical headline in the Echo to give us all something to laugh about.
’My gut feeling’ - Roberto Firmino tipped to leave Liverpool in shock January transfer

This intestinal intuition comes from one Tony Casacarino who is of the following opinion:
Former Villa and Chelsea striker Tony Cascarino has predicted that, due to not featuring as much this season, Firmino could leave Anfield and sign for Villa before the window closes.

“It’s only my gut feeling, I think they’ll go for one big Liverpool player,” Cascarino told TalkSport.

“I’ve got a feeling, I wouldn’t be surprised if Firmino went to Villa.

“And I say that because there’s always puzzles to managers and their former clubs. They love going back to people they work with.

I don’t know who should be more embarrassed about that - Casacarino or the idiot at the Echo who thought it worthy of publication. Or me for reacting to the clickbait!

6 Likes

Has Cascarino put a bet on it?

If he had said Nat Phillips I’d probably go ok yeah logical but no.

Wouldn’t surprise me if he considers going for Kent.

2 Likes

I read this crap, had a good laugh as I predicted that:

Liverpool will not sign a new forward in the January transfer window if there is not an opportunity for a long-term player investment. [(NoBluff via The Anfield Noise)]

5 Likes

World class incoming…Cant start for Norwich but is our answer :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Transfermarkt say that Norwich have the option for a further year (which would take it until 2023) with Cantwell.

2 Likes

23 followers, seems legit.

2 Likes

Is he HowlingTodd?

Cantwell too good for the Championship.
A very different thing to saying good enough for Liverpool.

Any player we sign has my backing, but I can’t see this one. Mid Prem level.

1 Like

Maybe he’d be a Minamino type of transfer, buy him cheaply, use him in our own way and then if we can’t make further steps for our level, sell him for a certain profit.

But until there are no reliable links, we don’t have to talk about it too much.

1 Like
3 Likes

I can understand his position. Neco is a decent player and could get a decent gig elsewhere and play more. Obviously the price has to be right.

To my mind 10-12M seems the right number, with a suitable sell on clause. If all we get are loan deal proposals, or derisory offers for a full transfer, then he must stay.

If he goes then Trent can’t play every game. Gomez and Milner would be the immediate back ups, with Bradley coming on leaps and bounds too.

Selling Neco would create a small gap in the immediacy, as Gomez is a central defender and Milner an aging midfielder, so it isn’t ideal. Also Bradley isn’t quite ready yet either, but if 10M+ is on the table, I would do it.

1 Like

7M too low for the Bolton Baresi. I expect as he overcomes injury and we get nearer to the end of the window, we will get much closer to 15M.

I’d agree to loan deal to a P/L club where he is guaranteed to be fighting to be first choice.

It’s pointless sending him out on loan if he is going to be backup - may as well stay here if that is the case. Also going somewhere where he is guaranteed to be first choice probably means he is at too low a level to be pushed and develope more.

Villa trying to get Coutinho on loan apparently.

Thought you couldn’t own a player’s economic rights any more?

£7m for Nat is peanuts. Chelsea got £30m for Zouma, £25m for Tomori and £20m for Guehi.

On that basis Nat is worth about £40m and should be sold for not a penny less.

Funny one with Neco. Can’t see where in the prem he goes as a starter except maybe a couple clubs down the bottom like Leeds or Brentford. Anywhere else is going to either be a very different style of game or he’ll find some decent competition in his way.

2 Likes

Co ownership is not quite the same as third party ownership. There have been restrictions but its not universally outlawed and still commonly used in South America as its considered vital given the differences in resources between their leagues and europe.

3 Likes