The Unreliable Rumours Discussion Thread (Part 1)

I’d go with;
Salah, Jota, Mane, Firmino, Diaz, Elliot… Gordon… Ox…

Honestly, I don’t think that is an unrealistic expectation. And gives really good depth. Throw Carvalho in as well if we mange to sign him.

2 Likes

Spurs now said to be interested in Kulusevski with Juve seemingly open. I have no idea what is going on Juve. Sure they need a rebuild and have too many players already, but the ones the press are reporting they are open to letting go are the ones they should be keeping and building around. Kulusevski today and Bentacur yesterday :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

I was counting Elliot as a midfielder, but obviously completely agreed that we keep him. Will be a big player for us.

I love the group of strikers you named, but I would be very surprised if we kept all three of Salah, Mane and Firmino beyond the summer.

3 Likes

We’re a fair way from it becoming a reality, but I like the idea of both him and Jones, and possibly even Ox depending on if he stays around, being able to flit between the midfield and attack depending on availability and what is needed in the game at that moment.

As for keeping the existing front 3 after Diaz arrives and with Elliott back, I think there is still room to do it for one more season before moving one or more on.

2 Likes

Maybe Jurgen wants to go out with a ‘BANG’ and win the quadruple in his last season… meaning he holds onto anyone that will help that happen.!

Yea figured you had Elliot in midfield , I just think he’s more likely to start in attack than Gordon.

With the wages reported for Diaz this deal won’t be putting pressure on us to get rid of anyone. Obviously I expect Origi and Minamino to move on, that will more than cover Diaz’s wages.

Managing Mane and Firmino playing less games could be tricky but that won’t come to ahead for a while. Back to back CL’s should keep them happy enough anyway.

1 Like

Just not very used to us actually going for people much recently (yes, I know Konate signed in the summer, but that he was the only addition was kind of mind-boggling).

1 Like

I know this may sound absurd, I really want Delli Ali to come to LFC. I truly believe if Ali is under the mentorship of Jurgen, he would truly shine in a world class player.

I have never gotten over us not buying him just because we didn’t want to pay an extra 2 million

2 Likes

@Maria, in the nicest possible way. Yes. That sounds absurd.

6 Likes

He is a poor mans Curtis Jones Maria… and there is only one of him and we already got him :smiley:

1 Like

Ali was so close coming to LFC, forgot his name the guy who did the transfers before Edwards got it totally wrong.

I believe Ali can get his genuis talent back under Jurgen.

2 Likes

I like Ali, he is a genius, but I don’t know what has happened to him and why is not playing at his full potential. He needs a good mentor and Jurgen save him.

3 Likes

I think he is playing at his full potential Maria and that is why he can’t get game time…
In his earlier days IMO he was hyped beyond his ability and that is what has been the problem with him ever since…
I’m sure there is a team in a league somewhere that he would be best suited to… But please don’t wish him on us too hard as it might just come true.! :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I applaud the shout for Ali, as it’s different, and all adds to the discussion.

For me it’s a no thank you! Sorry.

At the time when we were in for him he was at Milton Keynes tearing it up. Their manager was at Liverpool (forget the name now, Karl Robinson or something?) and made a recommendation. Ali would have come but we didn’t show enough effort to sign him, Spurs did, and then he went there.

All that was what, I’m guessing 7-8 years ago?

Consider the team we have now, compared to then. And consider the attacking midfielders we have who are young and hungry. Elliot and Jones spring to mind. Ali is going to be competing in that sort of space.

Let’s say we wave goodbye to Milner, Ox and Keita from the midfield next season. Age the former, and durability the latter pair. Then we bring in one top midfielder who could be in the side for years to come. Arguably we might have room for a cheap punt on Dele Ali, but even then I’d rather see Morton see some game time.

Never say never, and the shout isn’t entirely unreasonable, but Ali is way below the player he was, and we are way above the team we were. The gap seems too wide now.

7 Likes

Fair point Redoverthewater, I just feel we missed a huge opportunity with Ali. I still feel sad for Ali. I hope he does well in his career.

2 Likes

I don’t know if he would fit our set up but can understand why it would be appealing.

But the failure to sign him was not really because of the 2 million but from what I remember it was the whole process around it. Spurs had a clear plan how they could develop him and bring him into the first team. That also allows them to justify paying out more money. Liverpool didn’t at that time have a view on him becoming a first team player and so couldn’t justify paying out the increased money,

In addition this was going on while Brendan and the recruitment team were fighting over the signing of midfielders - Brendan wanting Milner, and the others wanting Emre Can which we both ultimately signed.

1 Like

Ali is actually still really underappreciated, for an attacking midfielder/supporting striker mould of player he has a good defensive and pressing side to him. He seems to have completely lost his mojo in recent seasons but he has been, and could again be, a real great source of goals and direct play as the most attacking CM in a 3 or even a makeshift false 9 in much the same way as Ox.

I’d still love to see him here as he almost seems to need rescuing from the path his career is on and I could see Klopp really having a massive positive influence on him. We could really be the winners in that situation.

Lot of ifs and maybes involved. Main one being whether or not they’d sell him to us? And if so would they charge a massive premium?

For what it’s worth my opinion is he could fit in here no problem. Even if we never used him in a false 9 role I think he could be useful in our midfield, as he is now as more of a squad player. Possibly as more a main contender for starts after some Klopp magic.

Fabinho, new CM/DM, Moreton and Henderson the options at the number 6/anchor role.

Thiago, new CM/DM, Jones, Moreton as the options for the more defensive number 8 LCM role.

Elliott, Ali, Henderson, Jones as the options for the more offensive number 8 RCM role.

I could see that being really quite OK going into next year if it happened with Milner, Keita and Ox moving on and Ali and someone who is a decent option as a number 6 or defensively solid number 8 coming in. More likely Ox or Keita stay one more year or someone in the academy gets that role. Or we could sign Carvalho and use him there or Minamino could drop deeper. Lot of options but just think we could find Ali a role if we had a chance to bring him in and Klopp could make the transfer a real phoenix from the ashes story.

1 Like

If Klopp thought he could turn around a player I think he would go for them.

I even think Klopp would have approached Coutinho but we changed after he left, I hadn’t really noticed it but I saw some highlights from before he left and there is something lacking.

1 Like

Alli.

Also, no.

Also, what??

Also, fuck no.

11 Likes

I also heard some story, that Ali was supposed to meet Gerrard, but Gerrard was asleep and didn’t turn up.

Ali still would have developed under Rogers, like Raheem did.

2 Likes